Login to your account

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi, my name is Rei Ann. Yet you can call me Rei. I come from Mene, but lately for me rping becoming a lot like a drag, I can't find good rpers or everyone just wants to much yaoi. Seeing how I came from the days where yaoi and slash rping were hard to find to me it's a tad annoying that non yaoi rp is very hard to find now. Then again that doesn't mean, I hate yaoi. So yeah that's me for ya'll.

Haha. xD Isn't that sort of funny? I'm very familiar with having trouble finding people willing to role-play something and then finding it's just about all people want to play when I've wanted to try out other things. xD Hopefully people who are either very capable of playing in multiple genres/games at the same time join up and tell their friends. :3

You might look more into Knerd's game, Helidor in Turmoil. It's probably less likely to be all about yaoi. I'll be joining it very soon myself. :3
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Well like I said on Mene, that whole game termage confuses me. I also can only role-play on a one-on-one level. I don't like having to wait on to many people, plus I tend to go into bout's of lurker ness where I just won't post in a rp for a while, and would hate to have a rping or game waiting on me.

I understand the one-on-one level thing and not wanting to wait for multiple players. :3 I know I have trouble focusing on a game when there are multiple players "missing in action". I also get busy and hate making people wait - which is why I'm only going to be gaming in one group game at a time (and try to select roles that can afford to 'sit out' for awhile).

Any specific terms you'd like me to help you out with? I'm passingly or very familiar with all sorts of roleplaying games, so my scope may be a little broad and I may just be using different terms than the ones you're used to. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I think it's the whole calling rping games, which sort of bugs me for some odd reason. My mind keeps screaming, wtf is rping not games. I'm not sure really why it bugs/trips me up. I'm the odd ball.

Aaah. xD

Not much I can do for you there, other than hopefully explain why I do see them as 'games'. Then maybe it won't bother you so much, even though you may still not like the term. xD (I've been there with other terms, so I know how it feels, honestly. The only way I can live with it is to know the reasoning behind it. xD )

A roleplay is different from writing a story. When you're with another player, you won't know exactly how they're going to write their response until you see it. If you've played with them awhile, you'll probably have a good idea of where they'll go, but you won't know for sure what they'll say and exactly how a character will react.

If your character throws a punch, will the other player write that their character dodged it, blocked it, blocked it and followed with an attack of their own, slipped and fell in a horrible tragedy of embarrassment, or took the hit? If they took the hit, did it land exactly where your character threw the punch (say they were aiming for the face, did the character move and get hit in the shoulder instead? or did it hit them in the face and a tooth flew out?) or did something change from the expected?

That's why it's a "game". The element of chance makes it a "game" rather than co-writing a story. When you're co-writing a story, you and your co-author can sit down and plot out things more closely. You'd both be giving up some degree of control over even your 'personal' characters in order to reach certain goals in telling the whole story. And then you'd both be going over each others' writing and editing it to make the story as a whole make sense. Even roleplaying one-on-one gives the players more personal control over individual characters, and makes finding the story a bit more freeform.

I'm not even counting in anything like trying to manipulate the other player(s) for a sequence of events to happen the way you want to. xD (And I don't mean "manipulating" in a bad or underhanded way. Certain ways of phrasing a post can 'suggest' to the other player what you would like their character to do in response without outright asking them to allow something to happen or discussing sequences of events beforehand.)

I hope my explanation makes sense. xD I've roleplayed with a lot of different people over the years and most of us have called it a "game", as in, "Nah, I'm not going to the (scheduled) game tonight because I have homework I need to start on." I've mostly been exposed to people who use "rp" and "rpg" almost interchangeably, though. But it's fully understandable if that's not how you use the terms. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Um alright, I see the your reasoning, I guess, but this is the first time, I've ever heard it called a game, and I've been rping since I was 10, and in less than a month I'll be 21. So idk, maybe I'm the weird one. I'm sorry. I guess it hard for me to get use to that's all.

*feels bad now* *flees*

Nah, no worries. :3

I've been roleplaying since I was 17 and I'll be 31 in August, so it's just different roleplaying "cultures", honestly. :3 Sort of like when you grow up in the deep south, many people call any soft drink (regardless of brand or flavor) "Coke". Up north it's often called "pop" and most other places it's called "soda". I'm not sure which of us is "soda" and who is "pop" but I'm pretty sure neither of us is "Coke". xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'm Soda. Though, I do say ya'll alot. So I know what cha mean. Well it's just a growing experience for me, that's all. I do hope I can gather a rp or two on here soon. Is there any rules on how long we can post in the newbie threads, that we created?

I always call it "soda" too, even though I live in Alabama. xD I know a lot of "Coke" people, though. xD

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone finding games to suit them. :3 A few fewer lurkers and we'll be gold. ;3

Nope - I don't have any rules right now about it. I figure as long as people are having good conversations and people aren't getting overlooked when they post a thread, it's all fine. :3 If it gets so that newbies start getting overlooked, I'll probably limit it or at least give people the suggestion that if they're still chatting after so long, they should think about starting a game together (or if they're discussing something RP related, to start a discussion thread in the Skull Session forum. :3 )
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Alright, I was just checking, cause I know some sites that lock it a day after it's posted.

I've never heard it referred to coke or pop here. Though I know it happens in other states.

I am a lurker at heart, so we are some what good.

xD I'd also usually call myself a 'lurker'. When I can 'afford to' I am. xD I post less on Menewsha right now than I do when I'm trying to save up for something, for example. ::laughs:: And here on WTF, I'm the only staffer, so I have to make the effort. ;3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I've posted here a lot more than my normal. I tend to get overlooked a lot, so I lurk and rp. Sometimes I feel like those two go in head. Well it's nice to know that a lurker can be a staffer. One day, I hope that I get a chance to be a mod, or something like that. I just always thought I never get a shot cause of lurkerness. Anyways I tend to only earn gold by rping, or else, I would never have any pretties. It's why I left mene for a while after I first join. Though I did have a better experience the second time I came back, which is why its one of my daily sites to check and rp on.