Login to your account

Thread: Dice collections!

Dice collections!

A thread for anything and everything to do with your dice. :3

For those unfamiliar, I'll be using standard shorthand for dice. Dice are generally referred to by how many sides they have. For example, a standard die has 6 sides. They're called a "d6". A die with ten sides would be a "d10" - and so on.

----

Of course, I had several d6s already. It's probably hard to find any household that doesn't have at least a few for standard games, right?

But on Thursday night I decided I wanted to go ahead and order my dice since I'm playing Exalted remotely. Exalted calls for d10s. Lots of them. It's kind of a running joke about how you need a bucket of them and even reviews for the game crab about how the dice bag for Exalted with 10 d10s isn't enough. They recommended 20 - 25 as a "standard" set for the game. (And presumably you may even need more than that. D: )

So I've been eying off this "pound o'dice" from Chessex for awhile now. The average number of dice is about 100 and you're guaranteed a full set of 7 dice in standard sizing (d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, d4). So I went ahead and ordered that + a 10 d10 set of special Exalted dice, just in case I didn't have enough d10s in my pound of dice.

Then I went looking at gaming companies for "special" dice. Y'know, "I've been a good girl and so my character gets their own special set of dice". I found a lovely set called "pearl red" which was as close as I could find to my character's hair, so I bookmarked it and told myself if I was a good girl, I could have them for Christmas. And then I went ahead and ordered 20 of them anyway. >_>;

Perhaps two hours later, my mom comes in and offers me a box she picked up at a garage sale the previous day. Inside it was a d20. Then she found another d20 because I mentioned that it seemed like there were meant to be two in there. So the day I ordered a crapton of dice, I get extra d20s. xD;

My order for those "pearl red" dice came in yesterday and they threw in a bonus pair of d6ses.

So my official collection at the moment stands at:

d20 = 2
    d10 = 20
    d6 = 2

I'll post a photo of my complete collection once my pound o'dice comes in. xD
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Between my husband and I, we have a bucket full of dice. (Literally.) We also each have our "gaming bags" full of sets of dice that we use regularly. Then we have our d6s that are used for heroclix.

Beware the hazard of d4s on the group. Bloody caltrops are what they are.

I usually buy my dice from Chessex every year at Dragon*Con or from the gaming store if they have a set I like. Sadly, I still use my old ones- orange with gold crayon in the number ridges. (I personalized them a bit. That is a trick you can use when the paint comes out of the numbers and they are hard to read- old school crayons.)

xD At the moment, I don't have a local gaming group (I'm playing on Skype with people in Australia), but I'm going to make sure my dice are properly stored away 'cause I'll most likely hurt myself if I'm not careful. xD Because I always hurt myself. >_>

What's sad about using your old ones? xD They have history.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I also play over Skype with all my college buddies. We live sort of scattered about now so it is the easiest way to keep up a good game.

I want to use my new and shiny dice, but I never wind up actually using them. I always stick to my old dice. I keep buying dice with the intention of using them, but then my old dice call out to me... "UUUUtooopia...come back to me my old friend. I'll roll crit hits today, I promise..."

::laughs:: xD Hey - if they're kind to you, it only makes sense to use them. xD Especially in matters of importance. :3

One of my friends has different dice for each of her characters she plays (something I essentially intend to emulate). Well. She doesn't yet seem to have dice for her Exalted character - which leads to comments about, "I'm going to use Luca's dice. They like doing damage." (Scion) or "Using Teo's dice for this roll...." (Marvel)
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

*laugh* Maybe I will try that. I do admit that I have different dice for GMing than I do for playing. I tend to use the dice that don't roll as well for my GMing (Yes, I know this is all in my head...there is the same probability to roll well or poorly on all dice). I tend to be either a softy as a GM or a cruel cruel mistress.

I like to play games where I need to use all my dice- d12s, d8s, d20s. All of them. This is why I love Earthdawn. You get to use all the dice with their circle system. Also, if you roll a crit on a die, you get to reroll the die and add it to the score.

Yeah - it's better to be kind to your players. xD Unless they need a kick in the rear for doing something stupid, I suppose. xD

I don't know if it's entirely in your head, though. Tiny flaws in casting them can increase the likelihood of something rolling more often to one side. Not in the sense of "cheat" dice, but in the sense of it being just a fraction heavier on one end so it's more likely to land face-up on certain sides than other certain sides. There are some dice companies that say they offer "true" randomness in their rolls, which probably means they're very carefully made. But I still eventually want some real jade dice, which the company warns up front will have balance issues because of them being made from natural materials. ::ramble::

I'd love to play with all of my dice too. xD Though I'm happy enough with just d10s, I've always been someone who liked odd shaped dice. xD (Or just dice in general.)
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Been meaning to post here awhile with my dice collection photos! Better late than never, eh?

My "pound o' dice":

My Exalted-specific dice, with a few other dice around to show size difference on these d10s:

They are HYOOGE.

My entire collection. The reddish ones towards the right are my 20 d10s I got for playing Exalted:
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Those are soooooo pretty. :3

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I should get all my dice together and take a picture...

Hmm.

I have a bag of dice that I use to randomly generate things- dungeon dice, character creation dice, star signs, astrological signs..etc. I love that bag of dice for gaming- especially when my crew of people throw a complete wrench into my plans and I have to make things up on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Yes, yes you should! Then I can comment on how pretty they look.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Yes, please!

I have a bag of dice that I use to randomly generate things- dungeon dice, character creation dice, star signs, astrological signs..etc. I love that bag of dice for gaming- especially when my crew of people throw a complete wrench into my plans and I have to make things up on the fly.
    Ooooh. I've been eying off dice sets like that like you wouldn't believe. xD Maybe after I finish paying off my credit card, I'll splurge. xD I don't really need them (I can't say as I'm a GM of any significant respect)... I just want them. <_<;
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Every year I go to Dragon*Con and spend between $10-20 at the Chessex booth (they make dice, but don't bother with their website, it sucks). I usually go for the specialty dice when I am there because I don't really need anymore standard dice (though I always seem to buy a set of the "rejects"- colors that didn't make it or odd blends of two colors).

Yeah - their website was pretty horrible. xD It's beyond basic... It's almost anti-friendly for shoppers. ::laughs:: I can't remember why I went there, but I was shocked at how counter-intuitive it was. xD;

If I get to go to Dragon*Con next year, we may bump into each other at the booth, then. xD That'd be fun. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'll be the one with a 1-year old strapped to her side dressed up as Robin to his Batman. *grin*

Hahaha. xD Awesome! I'd know closer to time if I can go and if I do, what I'll dress as. @_@
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin