Login to your account

Thread: Hello hello!

Hello hello!

Hey there, I'm Longcat or on mene, where I wandered from, I'm ~~LOOOOOOONGCAT~~ but damn if I'm keeping that drawn out name.
    I love RP-ing. I table top with DnD so I have some pretty eclectic and developed characters from that. Other wise I'm up for just about anything. I tend to gravitate towards fantasy/horror/apocalyptic/scifi types of RPs. But I have been known to fandom RP for Metalocalypse and Katamari and Repo!Genetic Opera.
    I'm literate and more casual to infrequent in my updates as I work ridiculous hours, but I try to keep up.

Welcome to WTF, Longcat! I'm still more than a little jealous of your username.

I'm also more than a little jealous of your experience with DnD! The closest group I know of is a few hours' drive away and I'm a bit too skittish to go meet strangers in a strange city at night, haha.

Hope more people join and get less shy about posting so you can get going with some great games. :3
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Thank you!!
    I actually play with a group of friends and we still play 3.5. But some of my favorite characters come from that, and some of my most hated-by-others too...
    I hope so too, this whole thing seems like it's going to be a blast!

I have some of the 3.5 books. So far - just based on several books I've skimmed from various versions of DnD, 3.5 seems like the version I "like" best. Something about the way 4 is set up bothers me. I guess it's how they have their classes divided up into "Leaders", "Controllers" etc. It feels like someone played too much City of Heroes and decided that dividing the classes up like they did was "cool" and made things "approachable" to MMO players. I love MMOs, don't get me wrong, but tabletops and MMOs are two different things and I don't want them to be the same thing....

Ah, sorry for rambling. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Holy moly Longcat! I didn't know that you were from the Syracuse region! I went to school near there and live just south of Syracuse right now. Small world, this just brightened my day.

Dude!! yeah, I went to ESF. I live just below the Dome right now. Don't know where I'm moving to by August though. So high-five for living in Nowhere with snow!!

Agreed. I feel like they took classic DnD and made a "DnD for Dummies" version when they made 4.0. They took out some classes that were pretty tank, and replaced them with even more broken classes. And I'm not quite sure if I like how they moved about the level adjustments for certain races...

I've been peeking in on Wizards.com via their news feed and there's all this freaking out now about how they're changing things even more. I only really know about it because I'm interested in playing Clerics or Cleric/Something hybrids, so I read up on some of their recent articles on Clerics. 95% of the people commenting on the new "Templar" thing and some errata related to Clerics is negative. Granted, I honestly don't know much about the crunchy numbers part of DnD, and the way they've worked 4e really doesn't appeal to me at all, but when even the people who like 4e and know how it all works out are like, "this is going to suck, please don't do this crap to my favorite class or I'm not buying 4.5e books..." it sounds like it's not an improvement the way 3.5e seemed to be...

Okay, that was a fairly incoherent ramble, but I'm too sleepy to figure out how to fix it up, haha.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'm happy with 3.5, and don't plan on switching format anytime soon. I did make one character for 4.0 but I never finished because the whole thing seemed counter intuitive to what I'm used to. I usually play Clerics! I hate to see them messed with any more. True they get pretty beast pretty quick, but I rarely play a super-freakishly strong character. My Favorite(Lest-Favorite) is a mess of a character, based loosely on the Spanish Inquisition (read: super racist and prone to killing anything against her perceived notion of her religion). As far as Cleric/something hybrids... I've never been able to come up with one that was balanced enough for my liking, although Cleric of Kord/Fighter does work. My only paladin was a terrible paladin but a great fisherman

LOL. I really like the Paladin/Fisherman hybrid. ;3

Like I've said, I've never actually played a game of DnD, unless you count a few sessions of DDO or playing Neverwinter Nights. I don't really understand 'balance' yet. xD I just know the sorts of skills I think might be fun to play, and healing people up is something I think is fun. xD But most of the non-healing skills for Clerics don't really interest me. >_> So I'd have to fill it up with another class that has fun things like Rogue, Ranger, etc. The other class would largely depend on the campaign and DM's suggestions. xD

*rambles on*
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin