Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo!

Lightbulb NaNoWriMo!

So, I figured since we're nearing the end of September and October lurks around the corner, that maybe I'd try to find some other people that are planning on participating
    in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this November!

I know I've talked to some awesome people here that have participated before and so I thought:
    HEY! Maybe we wtfers that are planning on doing nano can make a support group / writing group to help each other out! And lets face it, it's always nice to have friends that understand the complete insanity of it all

So, anyone planning on doing it? Anyone who thinks this is a good idea?
    Or who is curious and want to know more?
    Last edited by Impish; 09-27-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I spelled idea like we do in Sweden, silly me! XD

I would like to become well informed on this National Novel Writing Month! I like under a rock so... I've never heard of it! ><;
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Hi Schizofrenic!

So NaNoWriMo is a way to kick your writer self in the butt. Every November thousands of people join nano to write a novel in thirty days. You set a word count, most pick 50 000 and in those thirty days you challenge yourself, talk to other writers and just write like insane in order to reach that goal!

You can read more here

I guess this doesn't apply to people from other counteries?
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Of course it applies to people from other countries!

I have a terrible feeling that people may disappear for the month of November. I wish I had time to work, roleplay, take care of new baby and write a novel. *chuckle* This year, participating in Nano just isn't going to happen.

I think so too Utopia, since a lot of the people here love to write. Aww, new baby? Congratulations!

I read up a bit. they do accept stories from other countries and other languages as long as it's a Latin characters, otherwise it'll be difficult to be an official winner. I fee that if I'll should write a 50.000 words long story perhaps I should write in my own language.
    Last edited by Brook V; 09-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Zone District

Thank you.

This year I am sacrificing Nano to the roleplaying gods. I'll keep up on here instead of writing a novella.

I never thought about that bit, mostly since I tend to always write in english. You could always write in swedish. Hm, you can always check out the Scandinavian section of the forum and see if anyone of our fellow swedes have a solution to the problem?

You should totally go for it BrookV. Write in your own language- you can always use the letter scrambler to do your word count as it suggests for people who don't want people to read their work.

Utopia is right! I can't believe I didn't think of letter scrambling ^^;

If I write on Swedish nobody would be able to read it. Only Swedish, Norwegian and Danish people would be able to. (and people that know Swedish).

Is is really allowed to scramble the letters?

My main concern is that I'm not sure I would be able to write a novel in English. I have never written that long stories in English before. (... perhaps I got one story. But that one is 20 pages long... so it would probably only be about 10.000 words).

Also, I'm not sure if more Swedish people would join. Even though it's a International event it still come from USA. I think only English pices can compete and I'm not sure if more Swedih people has heard of it.
    Last edited by Brook V; 09-28-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Zone District

This isn't about other people reading your book so much as challenging yourself just to write it. Write in your own language and then you can say that you've done it. NaNo isn't a competition in the traditional sense. It is about trying to get people just to write- not about writing anything good or publishing anything. It is just a personal goal. I've done it twice now- one year I failed to write 50,000 words and one year I succeeded. Both "books" I wrote were utter, unedited garbage, but I did it. I sat down every day and just wrote a little bit to write and to get my creative juices flowing. Neither of my attempts were anything I would even try to get published or show to other people.

The books aren't supposed to be fine jewels- I mean, really- you write them in a month.

Err...
    I got a feeling I didn't made myself clear... and I have no idea how to make myself clearer.

I thought it was a competion. They say you can win prizes. How do they figure out who would win that?

I understand your point that it's more of a personal challenge. Even though the result is unpublisable crap.

...that's the best I can do.
    Zone District

I think they have a drawing with people who finish and participate. There are forums and stuff as well where people talk. I know people who finish get a little image on their sign in info that says they "won" Nano.

If you write your novel in Swedish and then when it's time to submit for the wordcount it is allowed to scramble. Hell, they encourage it if you're scared someone might copy your novel. And there are A LOT of swedes doing nano (in swedish) that have completed it. Just because it came from the US doesn't mean only US can complete.

And it's more of a personal challenge like Utopia said and the result isn't always publishable crap, have you heard of that new movie with Robert Pattison, Water for Elephants? That was a nano novel!

Oh, yeah... some people actually produce good novels in a month. Just not me. *laugh* Of course, out of the novellas I've written in NaNo in the past, I have gotten some good material that I later recycled into better stories/novels.

I use Nano as sort of a mind dump for ideas that flitter around in my head. Sort of like what people use outlining for.

Contrary to what people may think, I don't actually write a whole lot of fantasy in general. (Though, looking at what I roleplay, one may think that.) I write what I guess is considered Post-Modern fiction. Sort of in the vein of Kurt Vonnegut, Dom Delillo, Haruki Murakami (one of my favorites), Tom Robbins, etc.

I am currently working to find an editor for one of my novels so I can hopefully get it published. Getting a real editor to accept your work is tough. Hopefully if I get a few more short stories published in chapbooks I can get one to accept me. (And more respected chapbooks as well- not rinky dink little local things.)
    Last edited by Utopia; 09-28-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Yeah, well me neither. But some do. Editing during december helps a ton, though I tend to be like; meh, my brain hurts.
    Recycling is always good though. What did you write about last nano Utopia?

Kurt Vonnegut!

Good luck with that Utopia Never heard the term chapbooks before though, what exactly is that?

Usually short journal like books. It is generally a poetry term. Books of poetry are called chapbooks. About 50 pages or so, not quite a magazine, not quite a book.

Last Nano I wrote about a person who took meaning from myths and short stories and walked around applying the knowledge to situations he/she ran into. I never divulged the gender of the character.

Ok. Haven't written much poetry ^^

That is undeniably cool. Must have been a lot of fun to write too, especially researching all the myths.

The research was the best part. I chose myths from a bunch of cultures. It was sort of supposed to be a modern allegory. It was okay and I got some good stuff out of it for a better novel.

I can imagine. Myths are so much fun to research! I can imagine
    I write detective/romance novels when I do nano- suck at rping romance a bit so it's good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Impish View Post
    If you write your novel in Swedish and then when it's time to submit for the wordcount it is allowed to scramble. Hell, they encourage it if you're scared someone might copy your novel. And there are A LOT of swedes doing nano (in swedish) that have completed it. Just because it came from the US doesn't mean only US can complete.

And it's more of a personal challenge like Utopia said and the result isn't always publishable crap, have you heard of that new movie with Robert Pattison, Water for Elephants? That was a nano novel!
    Scramble how? Does the scrambling affect your chance of winning?

So there's Swedish NaNo writers?

Heard of the movie but I'm not a fan of Robert Pattison.
    Zone District

They tell you how here It's very simple really. So when you're done with your novel (written in swedish) you just follow the instructions and voilá, scrambled.

Yes there are! There is even a subforum for us Scandinavians. It's epic!

Haha, yeah, a lot of people aren't- but most people have heard of the movie by now so I'm using it as an example of the fact that some people do get their novels published.
    Last edited by Impish; 09-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.

They tell you how here It's very simple really. So when you're done with your novel (written in swedish) you just follow the instructions and voilá, scrambled.

Yes there are! There is even a subforum for us Scandinavians. It's epic!

Haha, yeah, a lot of people aren't- but most people have heard of the movie by now so I'm using it as an example of the fact that some people do get their novels published.
    Well my Word program in on Swedish so I can't find the Wildcard option.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

OK found it. "Använd Mönstermatching"

However, the code you should use doesn't replace å, ä and ö. :/

EDIT: You have to modify it [a-öA-Ö0-9]
    Last edited by Brook V; 09-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Zone District

So you figured it out then?

So you figured it out then?
    Yep.
    Zone District

Great! Are you thinking about participating in november then?

Great! Are you thinking about participating in november then?
    I don't think I'll get the time as I got an important assignment to work with in November.
    Zone District