Login to your account

Thread: TeleVISION (Insert Your Art Puns Here!)

TeleVISION (Insert Your Art Puns Here!)

I finally got around to deciding that I should PROVE that I don't just complain about art school and that I've actually learned a thing or two! xD

Without a doubt RP-themed art will sneak its way in here too.

---------- Post added 09-23-2011 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-22-2011 at 10:17 PM ----------

So I guess I'll reveal my dark past and confess that I moonlighted on Gaia for a little while doing commissions solely out of boredom...

The one that started it all!

Ironically I did the first pic for myself, but it kicked off a short spree of me taking commissions... (Some of which I choose not to put up here!)

Some of my pals from AS may remember when I went through this phase... *Shrugs* I don't really enjoy doing this type of art anymore so I consider it a thing of the past only.

Oh my god, these are sooooo awesome. I love your style. Not sure why you don't like it.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I think they look good.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

That winged steam-punk girl is... <3 beautiful. Your style is unique and satisfying~!!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

wow everything looks just pure amazing. My eyes will SO be glued here, cant wait to see more.
    Updates Mondays

^ ^ I'm glad you all seem to like my old stuff! I warn you though, my new work that I do for art classes is a whole other animal!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

For Example: Here's what I just finished this past wednesday for my illustration class! The word I had in mind while making this was 'Innovation'... and yes.... I know purple isn't manly. =____=

Last edited by Telemachn; 09-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Thats cool and for the purple comment, Tough Men wear Pink and Purple. its manly! as long as its not a tutu your safe
    Updates Mondays

Haha, well that makes me feel better!

So about that project/deadline that I've been whining to all my friends about...

Maybe a few of you are familiar with casting jewelry?

Anyway, I had to make wax models of two rings that related in some way. Here they are! I finished them late today and I had to prepare the piece for the next step toward actually casting: Investing.

Investing (for anyone who MIGHT care!) in casting terms basically means that you put your rings in a metal flask filled with special plaster and let it dry. When the plaster is set properly, then you put it in a kiln to melt out the wax. The hollow space left behind is where you'll pour in molten metal later. This is called Lost Wax Casting... I think? Sounds right! ^ ^

Anyway, before you can pour the plaster into your flask you have to sprue your piece(s). Like what I did here! Spruing is essentially making a little wax stalk-tree-thing attached to the bottom of the flask so your hot metal will have a path to flow in; via a hole in the base.

So now my piece is all invested and slowly drying! It will go into the kiln tomorrow and hopefully Thursday I will get to make my first cast! xD

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics... D:
    Last edited by Telemachn; 09-28-2011 at 04:07 AM.

My husband used to be a jeweler and he taught me about casting. I also took a class in college (I made it a point to take one fun class every semester). You are correct, it is called lost wax casting. It can be challenging as well. Sometimes fine carving work doesn't come out as detailed as it originally was. Quite annoying. They also have silicon mold making now- though that is more for plastics and chocolate than jewelry.

I really love the cicada graphic. I would wear it on a shirt if you printed it. I have a strange love for the cicada... xD

~~~~
    I am not at all familiar with casting jewelry but I would love to be. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product! Making jewelry is a long process. x-x;
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    I love your art style... Its just so... simple, but not at the same time.
    I really like the last example you have up there on your first post- probably because of the pose... I could never get that right. ._.

I love how the colours pops out *-*!