Login to your account

Thread: It's time for an upgrade

It's time for an upgrade

Okay, I've come to the point in my life where I'm sick of my writing. I think it's boring and it needs some spicing up. I feel like all my posts have similar elements and I'd really like to break out of this slump.

In other words, I want someone to help me become better. I'm looking to upgrade my characters, my story lines, my posts, and my grammar/spelling. I want to be able to make my posts enjoyable and less... idk. I feel like my posts are lacking creativity and originality.

Would anyone be willing to help me out? Please?

Have you tried bugging Strude? If you can catch her online she can be very helpful... and thorough. I'd offer myself but I dunno how much help I'd be since I don't see myself as any sort of a stellar roleplayer plus my free time is being eaten alive by my starving pile of homework... D:

But yeah, unless she says to back the hell off or that she's busy... (And I'm sorry Strude if I'm overstepping my bounds by offering your services! Don't hurt me!!!) I'd try asking her? It'll be pretty convenient since I think she's the GM in at least one of your RPs?

My advice would be to take a role that really challenges you. One that it is difficult for you to put yourself in the shoes of the character. Something that you wouldn't normally play. Then write in that character's cadence.

For example, if you have a dumb characters, write in short choppy sentences that break up his thoughts/actions into simple statements. If you have an arrogant character, write in long monologues using big words and a condescending tone.

Written examples for comparison:

The Troll Thumpy Finds a Puppy (standard)
    Thumpy was wandering down the lane surrounded by quaint cottages when he found a mysterious box. Curious, Thumpy edged closer to the box, peering inside. To his surprise, inside was a soft, adorable puppy. A smile on his face, he reached into the box and picked up the soft little ball of joy, releasing a sigh of contentment.
    The Troll Thumpy Finds a Puppy (In Character's Cadence)
    Thumpy walked down the road. It was a big road. With nice houses. Good houses. On the road, there was a box. Thumpy was curious. He looked in the box. Shock! A puppy! It was cute and soft and Thumpy wanted it. He definitely wanted the puppy. He picked up the puppy and gave it a squeeze. It was a good puppy. Thumpy was happy.
    Now, neither example is the most stellar writing int he world, but which one gives you a better feel for the character instead of the writer? Sure, the second one sounds like it belongs in a child's book, but you get a feeling for Thumpy as a troll. They both basically say the same thing, but they say it differently and each gives you a different impression of the troll and the scene.

That is what you want to think about when writing in character. How does the style convey the scene and the character in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachn View Post
    Have you tried bugging Strude? If you can catch her online she can be very helpful... and thorough. I'd offer myself but I dunno how much help I'd be since I don't see myself as any sort of a stellar roleplayer plus my free time is being eaten alive by my starving pile of homework... D:

But yeah, unless she says to back the hell off or that she's busy... (And I'm sorry Strude if I'm overstepping my bounds by offering your services! Don't hurt me!!!) I'd try asking her? It'll be pretty convenient since I think she's the GM in at least one of your RPs?
    No I have not! Since we are in a roleplay together, I shall ask her if she'd be willing to critique my posts and point out suggestions. I know she's been super busy though, so maybe I'll just ask that she suggest things as she sees fit.

Pfffft, please. I've read bits and pieces of your work. I've not found a post that wasn't enjoyable. And I think it's safe to assume most everyone is busy these days. Whether it's school, moving, work, or some other life happening, we all seem to put WTFRPG on the back burner. But hey, real life always trumps the online world... or so I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    My advice would be to take a role that really challenges you. One that it is difficult for you to put yourself in the shoes of the character. Something that you wouldn't normally play. Then write in that character's cadence.

For example, if you have a dumb characters, write in short choppy sentences that break up his thoughts/actions into simple statements. If you have an arrogant character, write in long monologues using big words and a condescending tone.

Written examples for comparison:

The Troll Thumpy Finds a Puppy (standard)

The Troll Thumpy Finds a Puppy (In Character's Cadence)

Now, neither example is the most stellar writing int he world, but which one gives you a better feel for the character instead of the writer? Sure, the second one sounds like it belongs in a child's book, but you get a feeling for Thumpy as a troll. They both basically say the same thing, but they say it differently and each gives you a different impression of the troll and the scene.

That is what you want to think about when writing in character. How does the style convey the scene and the character in it?
    Wow! I never thought of doing something like that. I might have to give it a try. Also, your posts about Troll Thumpy were hilarious.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Aw your comments make my ego feel all warm and fuzzy!

But yeah, Strude has a crazy schedule but she generally won't turn down a request for pointers. (And if you like my style!) Actually she was MY roleplaying mentor back on Gaia when I was trying to figure this whole thing out! I've only been roleplaying for maybe a year??? Or two??? I'm getting OLD so I don't remember, :] but I've always been a writer... so... *Shrugs* BUG THE STRUDE! xD

Heh, well look at all this. Why I didn't see this thread earlier is beyond me. Though, I do recall the PM about help! GUESS WHAT I can actually do that now. I'm sort of out a job at the moment and all I have to really deal with is school. So I have time to mentor and all that jazz, if you still want some help.

O ....... O

Shaaweeet! I also really like how you JUST found this.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369