Login to your account

Thread: graphics vs. mitsu -- + | PROCESS ERROR

graphics vs. mitsu -- + | PROCESS ERROR

|
    |
              • Hello! This is a thread created to showcase the various graphics I've created over the years. I mostly dabble in avatars and signatures, but I occasionally do other things as well.

• I hope you enjoy looking over the things I have created!

unknown// xx---|

• The basis for this is Mass Effect, and unhappy with the N7 logos out there, I made my own.
      I used a font that was not my creation, however the red shape was my creation entirely,
      as was the background for the avatar. The signature I made using two images I think, and
      some light effects. Placing the N7 logo on the outside of the signature, and the unorthodox
      shape really give it a unique look.

• These three were my most impressive works to the date I finished them. The first gif was
      created first. I was inspired by a really awesome Daft Punk signature I happened across,
      and decided to make my own signature featuring the Bloody Beetroots. This one took me
      a while to even conceptualize, and I went through numerous iterations until I got the final
      result. The large blinking colors was a simple effect, however the smaller, almost faded
      ones was difficult to achieve. Everything except the font and the render was created entirely
      by me. The avatar is a more simple project, using some light effects and a sort of Bokeh
      thing going on. The second signature was me experimenting more with Bokeh and adding
      a grunge feel with the white bits around the render. It was inspired by the background
      on my cell phone. In the end I ended up gifting them to Strude, but I did make personal
      use of them for a bit!

• I'm very pleased with how this entire set turned out. I put together a couple very simple
      elements to make a visually appealing result. I think the set really captures a fun feel, which
      is just perfect for a character like Yuffie.

• This was a signature I made for awolnation. It started as a sort of surprise gift, something
      simple, but turned into a full blown project. The overall look was based on another image
      that awolnation liked; the moon/space mist look really appeals to her. The effect was
      achieved
      with a number of gradients and brush strokes, all combined to create just the right amount of
      fogginess and color. It looks really simple, but to get what I have took more steps than
      one would think. I added a sort of glass, or glare effect as a finishing touch, however that
      effect can be argued as successful or not.

august// o2---|

• This set was done on a whim. It really shows my philosophy of letting great art
      be great art. Normally standard procedure when making these sorts of graphics
      is to cut out a render, and then add all sorts of effects around it. This method
      can produce really great images, and some of the stuff out there is just mind
      blowing. However, I think that sometimes when there is a picture that is already
      fantastic, one should do as little as possible to it. It may sound lazy, or uncreative,
      but if the piece is already so great, I don't see the point in doing much else.
      Letting the original artwork speak for itself can really go a long distance. By making
      only minor edits, I can put my own personal flair on the picture, and also celebrate
      the original by keeping it mostly untarnished.

For the avatar I did far more than the signature. The avatar has a some added
      lines to add texture, some shadows around the frame, and finally a bit of color.
      The signature is even more simple with some horizontal lines, and a tiny bit of
      color; the text was just the final touch. The result is simple and does justice
      to the original artwork, so I feel that this set, regardless of whether or not I
      use it, was a success.

august// o4---|

• This is a series of avatars I did for awolnation. I approached
      this miniature project with the idea of making them look like a series, and not
      just an assortment of vaguely related avatars. Doing so was a simple task
      and the discerning eye can see exactly why. The selection of colors and
      their placement is rather similar, which gives them all the same sort of
      feel or vibe. It was both a time saver, and an effort in creativity.

I had to try and keep the series from looking too boring. By using a similar
      feel for each, I risked the series being very bland, and I did not wish to
      lose interest while working. So, the creativity came in with me trying to find
      some way of keeping myself energized, and to make as many minor modicati-
      -ons as possible. The first three avatars, the top row, are really cohesive.
      It's very clear that they are part of the same set, and they share a rather
      similar palette of colors. It was only with the fourth and fifth avatar that I
      began to feel the need to change things up a bit. Still wishing to keep my
      original goals, I only modified the colors on the Skillex avatar. The most
      obvious departure is the White Lies avatar.

This one still has some familiar colors,and the misty/foggy feel is there, but I
      utilized it in a different way. I instead focused greatly on keeping the negative
      space, and instead utilized the image of the band members to showcase the
      colors. The bars to the left was a last second addition, and one I'm not so sure
      about, to be honest. I don't think it looks bad, but perhaps it would have been
      better without? Still, I'm happy with how this series turned out, and more impor-
      -tantly, awolnation was delighted.

TRANSMISSIONerror --- S E A R C H I N G . . .
    Last edited by Mitsukashira; 12-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.

august// 31---|

• Upon receiving a request for some sort of graphics work, I start by brainstorming.
      The process typically consists of taking all of the imagery, colors, and textures
      related to the project, and just experimenting until I make something interesting.
      Sometimes this method will cause me to get carried away, as I try to utilize
      different techniques. This is what happened with this piece. The end result above
      is not quite what was asked of me. I was asked to make a sexy avatar
      and signature set, that would incorporate a light half-tone effect. While
      those elements are there, I believe this is not what the "client" was
      asking for. I happened to like this creation, so I modified it to for my own
      use.

This is a fairly simple avatar and signature set. They both utilize a wonderful
      painting of Jill Valentine from Resident Evil. I've always liked the source image
      a great deal, however I've never actually attempt to make any graphics with
      it. I added some pink, white, and orange gradients to give the signature the color scheme
      I wanted. I modified various values to give some lighting and color issues to look proper
      and then I went to work on creating a sort of sheen or glass effect. I feel it was only
      semi-successful, but the overall result was nice enough. Some other images were
      laid down to add minor details, texture, and to make the luminous levels less
      uniform across the entire signature. Next was the text, which was easy enough to
      add. The splatter effect was done with a simple mask and brush. I added a shadow
      to the top of the letters for a little bit of pop. The rest of the splatter effects were
      done on a duplicate of the Jill painting, which was masked. This gives the splatters
      a bit of a different color to them in spots, and adds some variety to the signature.

The avatar was just as simple to create. The same process was used for the Jill
      painting, but this time I created little semi-transparent triangles. I decided to make
      them to give the avatar a more interesting look. It's very 80's in a way, which
      fits with with the color scheme. I then added a light half-tone pattern to the triangle,
      and put in a segment of the Jill painting to create a sort of reflection sort of effect.
      Both the avatar and the signature were finished off with a white border.

• This is a logo I created for fun a while ago for a website. It has a darker color scheme,
      so the moon in the background looks horrible.What started as just fun and practice turned
      into a full blown project, which would result in my most professional looking piece to date.
      I can say with certainty that the effects used in this logo will be used again in future projects.
      In hindsight, the moon is the worst looking part of the logo, however the letters look really great.

september// 10---|

• Another piece I created for a certain website. This one was very easy and simple, but
      the result looks rather good. There isn't much to say on this one, as the most difficult
      part was just deciding on which font to use.

september// 17---|

• A simple graphic I created to place in my search thread. There really isn't anything
      interesting to mention here. I created the "d" in dream with the pen tool, but as I said
      nothing impressive or difficult.

october// 1---|

• The creation of this set starts with Xbox. I was on my Xbox, after playing
      the Battlefield 3 beta, and I was looking through the dashboard. Under the
      music part, there is a section that is graphically indicated by pictures of music
      artists. They rotate from left to right, but the part that I've always liked was
      the color scheme they placed over the artists. The pictures are covered in a
      pinkish-orange tint, and it gives a really hip, dark, almost cold feel. So, I tried
      to do something similar, but I ended up going off on a tangent!

I made the signature first. It was simple to make, and I had initially intended
      to do something different with the bars on the right side, but ended up with
      that effect. Originally I was going to animate them like a previous Bloody
      Beetroots graphic I did. It would have made the signatures technically
      complex, but I decided against it. I was happier to keep it simple, and did not
      want to make the graphic too busy. Overall I'm not sure how pleased I am with
      this piece, but it's decent enough I suppose.

The avatar was created next. It was even more simple than the signature! I just
      took a photo, positioned it, applied the same gradient from the signature, and
      added that black semi-transparent box for some style. Simple, and I like it.

october// 2---|

[CLICK]

• This isn't a new creation but an old one. It's my second Firefox Persona! I have no
      idea how old it is, but it has to be at least a year or two old. It's personalized to fit my
      screen exactly, because I didn't feel like figuring out how to make it look good using Firefoxs
      suggested (required?) dimensions. I occasionally think about making another one, but I'm
      not sure what to do!

november// 5---|

• A long time ago I found a really nice picture of Powergirl. Just today I figured I'd make a banner for my thread on Gaia. Above is the result. It's a really simple, quick effect utilizing a mask. The sky was done independently of the render, and was achieved with two photos. There was nothing even remotely difficult about this one, but I like the end result.

april// 21---|

• I had a sudden flash of inspiration so, I made a wallpaper using a wonderful picture of Female Shepard by Patryk Olejniczak. Please click the image to view the true size.

Last edited by Mitsukashira; 04-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.

TRANSMISSIONerror --- S E A R C H I N G . . . updateLOCATED

Last edited by Mitsukashira; 10-02-2011 at 04:26 PM.