Login to your account

Thread: Earthquakes

Earthquakes

Anyone live on the East Coast here?

I, for one, felt my chair move a little bit when the earthquake happened and was wondering why. I know it wasn't just me but it had effected us all the way up here.

Up here: Ohio

I know we're not far from Virginia or anything. So it doesn't surprise me.

Oh, I told you already but I'll make sure others know. I felt it in the Boston area, but it was so very light it barely got my attention. But yeah I heard this thing spread out all over the place on the East Coast.

I think it might have maybe tipped over a chair... that was possibly previously unbalanced... somewhere... but that's about it. xD
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

How far South was it felt? My parents would have already gone to bed by the hour I'm typing at, so I can't ask them if they felt it. xD;
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

I don't know how far South it was felt but it was felt North quite a ways.

AP said it hit all the way up to New York which is a no-wonder-it-was-felt-in-Ohio sort of a thing.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Fallen Saint's Avatar
    I live in Baltimore. It only lasted a few seconds here though. The first thing my brother started talking about though was all that 2012 end of the world stuff.
    A little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

I felt nothing here in Rochester, NY.
    My cousin, who is in Rochester, did feel it.
    My friend in NYC said it spilled his water.
    My friends in Ontario, Canada said they felt it.
    My cousin in North Carolina felt it.
    My friends in MA (Boston area) said they felt it.
    I also know people in PA and NJ who felt it, too.

In other news, I had a tornado near my house on Sunday. D:
    http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...thgHRaeZQ.cspx

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Eep. Glad it was only near your house!

I talked to my parents about an hour ago and apparently it wasn't felt down where we live unless maybe you were at the top story of a tall building.

I heard the Washington Monument was closed down because it had structural damage. Crazy.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    Eep. Glad it was only near your house!

I talked to my parents about an hour ago and apparently it wasn't felt down where we live unless maybe you were at the top story of a tall building.

I heard the Washington Monument was closed down because it had structural damage. Crazy.
    I say less than 1/4 a mile away is still cutting it too close. Our neighbors got some tree damage, but nothing really happened to their house.

Yeah! I heard about the damage on the momentum, too. I know Facebook was going crazy with a bunch of people mocking the whole situation, and it was really pissing me off. I don't think any natural disaster should be taken lightly. I can't even imagine what kind of damage (mentally, emotionally, and physically) the earthquake did. :\

- hangouts -

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    I say less than 1/4 a mile away is still cutting it too close. Our neighbors got some tree damage, but nothing really happened to their house.

Yeah! I heard about the damage on the momentum, too. I know Facebook was going crazy with a bunch of people mocking the whole situation, and it was really pissing me off. I don't think any natural disaster should be taken lightly. I can't even imagine what kind of damage (mentally, emotionally, and physically) the earthquake did. :\
    You gotta think though. We made such a gigantic deal out of it but California gets these once or twice a year. I can kinda see the humor for them in this.

I actually was watching someone talk about it online last night and they were mentioning the fact everyone from the west coast had been mocking the east coast for getting worked up about it. It's like yeah, we know it's not anything compared to the west but it was still big for our area. It's like someone breaking their wrist and saying "Man it sucks I broke my wrist." and then someone else goes, "Well so what! I broke both my arms one time!" Nobody was trying to say it was a HUGE deal, it's just an interesting thing to actually occur in our parts. xD
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    I actually was watching someone talk about it online last night and they were mentioning the fact everyone from the west coast had been mocking the east coast for getting worked up about it. It's like yeah, we know it's not anything compared to the west but it was still big for our area. It's like someone breaking their wrist and saying "Man it sucks I broke my wrist." and then someone else goes, "Well so what! I broke both my arms one time!" Nobody was trying to say it was a HUGE deal, it's just an interesting thing to actually occur in our parts. xD
    Exactly. And we're like the guy who broke his wrist saying to the guy who broke his arms, "But mine reeeaaally hurts." Now that I got the image it really is funny.

Well if you don't like earthquakes you could always move here to BC, you only feel tremors if you live in the lower southern area. I've lived in Central and the upper area of South BC all my life and I haven't ever felt a tremor^^
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerkytti View Post
    Well if you don't like earthquakes you could always move here to BC, you only feel tremors if you live in the lower southern area. I've lived in Central and the upper area of South BC all my life and I haven't ever felt a tremor^^
    I'm sure BC gets some other sort of natural disaster. Gotta pick and choose your disasters. XD

- hangouts -

Hmmm, storms? Sorta? In my lifetime there's been about 2 big storms, but not all that bad in the end really, just destroyed bigger trees. Oh and depending on what city there's sometimes serious summer fires. But those are pretty rare too. Can't think of anything else either then that.

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

I suppose that California and other earthquake prone areas could mock the East Coast for being all unsettled by it. But it wouldn't be fair.

The East Coast is neither used to them nor prepared for them. Building codes are not the same as they are for earthquake prone zones. So if there was a big East Coast earthquake, there could be a lot of disaster with falling buildings and roads.... just like there was on the West Coast before earthquake building codes were created and enforced.

So it's a bit less like, "Ow, I've sprained my wrist!" and more like, "I sprained my wrist, and it was very scary because I have a bone disease that means that I could have turned my arm bones into dust if I'd hurt myself a little more than I actually did."

And now I hear that the East Coast is going to get a very nasty hurricane (worse than I'd originally heard if my dad saying, "The worst in history (for the East Coast)" is any indication). You'd think Mother Nature was trying to spank the East Coast in particular. :/
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'm starting to think Mother Nature isn't happy in particular if you take in the frequency of things happening recently.

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

I'm starting to think Mother Nature isn't happy in particular if you take in the frequency of things happening recently.
    I agree with that statement!

- hangouts -

There has been some studies that because of climate changes nature disasters like hurricanes and tornadoes gets worse. The frequency isn't changing i.e. it doesn't become more or less, but the strength of them increases i.e. instead of 1, 2, 3 storms it's more 4,5,6 storms.

Where I live there have been a few nasty storms/hurricanes in recent years. Also there was an earthquake a few years back here too! I didn't feel it though.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Yeah I would agree with the fact that the frequency of major natural disasters hasn't increased all that much... but as for intensity?

I would say it's just become more of a problem, with more people living in disaster prone areas than ever before. Of course they've had horrific storms in past decades, and even centuries, but there just wasn't the level of urban development then that there is now.

Not to mention worldwide record keeping in regard to weather patterns has vastly improved in the last century or so.
    Last edited by Telemachn; 08-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachn View Post
    Yeah I would agree with the fact that the frequency of major natural disasters hasn't increased all that much... but as for intensity?

I would say it's just become more of a problem, with more people living in disaster prone areas than ever before. Of course they've had horrific storms in past decades, and even centuries, but there just wasn't the level of urban development then that there is now.

Not to mention worldwide record keeping in regard to weather patterns has vastly improved in the last century or so.
    Different sources, different stories.
    Nobody can know for sure.

I think the weather has gotten worser where I live though.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"