Login to your account

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we do for you?

I actually heard her talking about that a while back when Brook was wondering if it meant what he initially thought! I am all for that, though. Not only would it be pretty amusing to see all the random phrases that you guys come up with but it would add a little more "Oh lookit these guys, these guys are funny, these guys are approachable!" for those new users.

Ya see, all these years of being in communities has jaded me a bit in the sense that I'm a little shy when it comes to voicing my opinion. Always saying to myself ("Oh someone else will probably say it anyway." OR "Someone is surely going to call me an idiot.") But here... I'm starting to really come out of my shell! You guys have no idea how awesome this place really is... haha, or maybe you do? But thank you for taking the time to listen to my two cents and even bounce some ideas off of me.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

I think pretty much the best thing to improve this site is just more people. Looking over the roleplays there's not really much to join. So I'll start advertising in my signature on Gaia.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Ya see, all these years of being in communities has jaded me a bit in the sense that I'm a little shy when it comes to voicing my opinion. Always saying to myself ("Oh someone else will probably say it anyway." OR "Someone is surely going to call me an idiot.") But here... I'm starting to really come out of my shell! You guys have no idea how awesome this place really is... haha, or maybe you do? But thank you for taking the time to listen to my two cents and even bounce some ideas off of me.
    I've run and been involved in a lot of communities. One of the things I've noticed is that there are always users who decide they should backseat-mod. Sadly, the bulk of those users seem to be male. These kinds of users, see a mods answer in one thread, and vomit it back out at other users in other threads. Those kinds of responses are nasty, and no good for anyone. Unfortunately, those comments are normally not against the rules, so the staff can't really do anything about it. Maybe there should be a rule against being negative towards anyone giving feedback?

The thing is, ALL feedback is useful in some way. If you think of something, it may not be directly applicable, but the chances are it can be adapted into something usable. If ten people create threads asking for a chat feature, then no one should be telling them it's not going to happen or try to discourage the feedback, because all it means, is that the staff will notice ten threads, and realize how important the request is to the community. The more you discourage people from giving feedback, the less likely they are to give any in the future - and just because their first idea might be a bit silly, doesn't mean their future ideas won't be pure awesome.

I thought of a suggestion that isn't silly. The character avatar icons must get converted to jpgs or something, they look worse after being uploaded even if you use 100x100 pixels. Either specifying whether the size should be something specific or having a different upload system (or even, possibly, letting users just link to their own images--could save you some bandwidth) would go a long way.

I don't think it should be made an official rule, it makes me think of middle school when teachers would say, "No saying mean things in my classroom!" and of course those kids who would probably do it anyway would be like "Sheesh, what babies can't take it so they've got to make a rule for it?" And it really should just be common courtesy. But I do appreciate the thought of protecting members from things like that.

Oh! And one more thing before I finally shut my yap. I really like... the buttons. (I don't really know what to refer to them as. Probably just icons but.. I like calling them buttons) But in forums you have those little icons that look like buttons that show visuals for threads like moved, hot threads, ect. I figure if I was talking about visuals before I should at least give some positive feedback and I have definitely looked at those and gone "Awe, I like these :3"

Quote Originally Posted by poisonous View Post
    I thought of a suggestion that isn't silly. The character avatar icons must get converted to jpgs or something, they look worse after being uploaded even if you use 100x100 pixels. Either specifying whether the size should be something specific or having a different upload system (or even, possibly, letting users just link to their own images--could save you some bandwidth) would go a long way.
    I use png files myself . . . to avoid the shitty look jpgs tend to give.

I use pngs too. What size do you put them at? I use 100x100.

Edit: As an example of what I mean, here is my character's avatar:

Now here it is as it shows on the character page:

It did in fact get turned into a jpeg. Yuck!
    Last edited by Eden; 08-01-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Depends on the image but I usually take an image set a 200x200 to 800x800 crop/select and then resize in PSE to 100x100. I haven't had to much trouble with my images . . . I think my icons look okay . . . >___>'

It looks like the default was 80x80, which is why it was being resized. I've upped it to 150x150.

Edit: Though maybe it should be 150x100 hmmm

I hope I won't say too many things that have already been said since I just fast scrolled through the thread. I really like this site and I'm hoping for more and more active members around. I'm also looking forward to see where this site develops into.

First reason why my RP buddies don't register is said to be laziness (I asked!). Some sort of official invitation & presentation message we could send to people of our choosing could be a nice little extra since it would add a little more charm to it.

I have thought about advertising WTF in different sites but on many places it's a no-no so haven't got into it yet. I will give you a special presentation in my website though, when I can update it the next time if it would help any. Also will mention you to all I know who might be interested.

I really like the whole RPing system all in all. It gives each game the real feeling of being separate unlike it is on normal multiple games forums. And the tools given to mark and manage it are really good.

The mentioned option to make places inside of places be opened as a "drop down" of some sort would be really good. The Places tab gets easily too long to keep it looking nice.

Ahh, one more thing... As for new members, you could have some post amount limit they need to reach until they can make a game of their own. It doesn't need to be even that high, just enough to make them participate on the forums a bit and maybe join someone else's RP before making their own. There is already a nice variety of RPs but many with very little of players.
    Last edited by Gess Jahd; 08-01-2011 at 07:41 AM.

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    It looks like the default was 80x80, which is why it was being resized. I've upped it to 150x150.

Edit: Though maybe it should be 150x100 hmmm
    Can I suggest against 150x100? Weird proportion, wouldn't everyone have to redo their character avatars?

Can I suggest against 150x100? Weird proportion, wouldn't everyone have to redo their character avatars?
    Not exactly, the board would leave a 100x100 alone.

Lets leave 150x150 for a while, and see how it goes anyway.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

@Gess Would you want the invitation to be in an email, or some other medium?

I'll have to run some stats, to see how many hit-and-run rp starters we have.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm new to this type of roleplay and roleplay in general so my answers might not be very giving...

What can we do, to make it easier for you to share your roleplays?
    No idea.

Whats the #1 reason your rp buddies won't join wtf?
    I don't know, haven't asked them. Most of them are on Twitter which is very simple in comparison to this.

If we had a roleplay importer tool, which site(s) would you like to be able to import your roleplays from?
    ... Twitter?

Would you like to be able to use your facebook account, for a quick login/signup?
    Personally? No, I prefer to keep my Facebook account private. But I can see that some people might have use of it.

Would you advertise wtf in your signatures? If not, why?
    You can't have signatures on Twitter... and the bio is only 160 characters long. If I had been on another roleplay site where you could have siggs, I would advertise it.

Whats your favorite feature here? Is there anything we are missing that other sites already have?
    I think you got a lot of nice features. But I haven't been on a roleplay site before so I can't really add to that.
    Have to say though that the FFRPG is my favorite feature.
    However I feel it can be a bit difficult to know who said what to who in FFRPG. I'm used to @replies on Twitter which makes it easier to know who said what to whom. I cannot think how you could use that system on here because of the nature of a forum roleplay.

Can we make it easier to start a rp? What about helping with ideas?
    Helping with ideas would be nice. I have not tested to make a FFRPG so I cannot add anything to that. My mentor has said he could help me with making a FFRPG.

Would you like an off-topic forum? Can we do anything to make it more fun here?
    Don't we already got an off topic forum already?

Any other comments, opinions, complaints, praise?
    I think it's a great site. It's easy to learn.
    Last edited by Brook V; 08-01-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

i'm too ditzy to have feedback, sorry....
    I'm such a ditz.

Strude and I were talking and we both agree that you really should make it possible for a game's creator to set up other users as "admins" (ie create locations, etc).

Strude and I were talking and we both agree that you really should make it possible for a game's creator to set up other users as "admins" (ie create locations, etc).
    Thanks for getting to this. I've had a window open ready to type for over an hour . . . my nails are talking longer than I want them to.

Anyways, yes we really need to be able to give certain players the ability to create locations within a role play. Mostly, I ask this because my game is similar to your multi-verse except it's a self contained universe with multiple planets; however, everything is created by the players rather than the GM. I basically function as an intermediary and general overseer of everything, but the actual creation and development of the entire galaxy is done by the players. Plus we have a multi-storyline system too . . . so it would be nice to be able to give certain players planning to lead a story line within the carmine universe the ability to create locations.

> w <

I think if your nails are talking we have bigger problems m'dear. :}

Damn those talking nails . . . they kept me up half the night babbling about drying.

This idea has crossed my mind as well, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it suggested before. Not sure if the more people behind an idea matters or helps it get more notice but you can tally my vote in under Poisonous and Strudes idea~ it would be quite useful.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

EDIT: But I'm also not sure if any of this is doable under the co-host feature.
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 08-02-2011 at 07:10 PM.

This idea has crossed my mind as well, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it suggested before. Not sure if the more people behind an idea matters or helps it get more notice but you can tally my vote in under Poisonous and Strudes idea~ it would be quite useful.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

EDIT: But I'm also not sure if any of this is doable under the co-host feature.
    There's a co-host feature?

Well, I've never used it or played with it at all so I don't have any experience with it but according to... http://www.wtfrpg.com/forum/showthre...nd-Co-Hosts%29 It talks about things that apply to hosts and "co-hosts" which seems to be what you're looking for.

I'm co-host in a RPG but I can only give keys, not edit the RPG. Perhaps the creator decides what a co-host can do?
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Oh. You're right!

*turns a bit red* ...

Well, that's pretty helpful.

Haha! Don't worry, I even read the thread and completely forgot about it a month later. (I can be a little flighty at times...) But hopefully that helps out!

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    @Gess Would you want the invitation to be in an email, or some other medium?
    I guess just some text you could copy-paste to any sort of PMs and emails could work too. Since emails aren't anymore checked almost at all by most of the people who I know.
    You could also have official Facebook account and/or Twitter feed, or do you already?

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Humble Farmer With a Sword Moonfleet's Avatar
    Er, I'll try and be helpful? I still feel new here even though I've been lurking for a few weeks...So we'll see if I can be at all useful.

What can we do, to make it easier for you to share your roleplays?
    I'm honestly not sure...It seems simple enough to share roleplays through links and the like.

I honestly haven't asked because I'm still scouting it out. Also, I just...Don't have that many rp buddies nowadays. Few that have really been my serious rp partners, anyway. I will perhaps invite one of them in the future, but as for the others...I either don't think they'd be interested or I don't believe their style is very...good. xD I'm a critic of friends and foes alike, sadly.

If we had a roleplay importer tool, which site(s) would you like to be able to import your roleplays from?
    Gaia, probably. But I honestly don't think that would work too well since my role-plays for there have primarily been PM and that importer tool would pretty much have to be magic to follow the crazy thread of posts that goes through private messages. I'm not really sure I'd like this idea anyway. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have any use for it, anyway.

Would you like to be able to use your facebook account, for a quick login/signup?
    No. I generally get irritated about that...If you want to offer it as an option, go ahead, but I really dislike that connection. It usually brings a lot of pop-ups I click away with irritation or brings in people I have no desire seeing on this site.

Sure, though most of the places I lurk on don't have signatures, weirdly enough. I think I'd be willing to put it on deviantART? If the signature image was completely awesome and artistic, that is. ;D

Whats your favorite feature here? Is there anything we are missing that other sites already have?
    Uhm, I think I like how in depth the full-featured roleplays are. They really make it seem like you're writing in a little world, rather than just posting on a forum. It's hard to explain, and probably sounds a little odd. No other sites I'm on offer as much as wtf, so I'd say you're doing really well.

I think a quick help guide section would be helpful for this. I know it was hard for me to figure everything out and I asked a lot of questions at first. As for helping...I'm not sure I know of enough to be of much use. ._.

Off-topic forum sounds like a good idea. It might do well in having us get to know each other better, which I think would be lovely. Even when we're not writing stories, I feel like we should be able to discuss other things and make friends like that.

Subscriptions are not working and it's kind of driving me crazy? I never know when things have updated on either forums or role-plays. I've tried to make it so I'll at least get an e-mail but that's not happening. It would be really excellent if you perhaps had a message center similar to deviantART? Where it notifies you for different kinds of messages. We have the one for messages, but do we have one for subscribed forum replies or role-plays or something like that? That would be extremely useful, in my opinion. That's probably my biggest problem with WTF at the moment. It makes me less interested in trying to really get into this community, to be honest. People are, at heart, lazy. At the moment, WTF is making me work to get to what I actually want to see. xD
    Oh, also...The automatic log out times seems rather quick to me? I tend to think over my posts for a long time before submitting them. And sometimes I just write a ton. So finding out that I've been logged out so fast doesn't make me super happy...Is there anyway to change this? I haven't actually counted how long it takes, but it seems short to me compared to other sites.

And sorry if this had already been said by someone somewhere. e_e I scrolled through and tried to glance at what has been said but I don't quite have the time to go through everything. So...Hope this is vaguely helpful?
    Last edited by Moonfleet; 08-03-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfleet View Post
    Oh, also...The automatic log out times seems rather quick to me? I tend to think over my posts for a long time before submitting them. And sometimes I just write a ton. So finding out that I've been logged out so fast doesn't make me super happy...Is there anyway to change this? I haven't actually counted how long it takes, but it seems short to me compared to other sites.
    This is just a quick reply, I'll try respond to the rest later. The timeout was set to twenty minutes, I've upped it to a full half hour. Hope that helps!

Quick suggestion: justify is the best thing to come to formatting since sliced pizza, is it possible to have it included in the actual roleplay posts? It makes everything look so much more professional.

Maybe that's the ex-journalism student in me talking, though...

Well, I've never used it or played with it at all so I don't have any experience with it but according to... http://www.wtfrpg.com/forum/showthre...nd-Co-Hosts%29 It talks about things that apply to hosts and "co-hosts" which seems to be what you're looking for.
    Thanks for letting me know but they can't add locations it looks like. So if they could add that to the options of things a co-host can do that would be awesome.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quick suggestion: justify is the best thing to come to formatting since sliced pizza, is it possible to have it included in the actual roleplay posts? It makes everything look so much more professional.

Maybe that's the ex-journalism student in me talking, though...
    No, I agree with this. I noticed you can do it in chara. profiles, but not in threads. I was kind of upset you couldn't because I LOVE LOVE LOVE justify text (I was pissed when they removed that from Gaia a few years ago! XD)

-They're too swamped their own roleplays because they play too many characters and/or they are expected to make long, in-depth posts all the time. It drains your brain juices to quickly. I think that it's good to keep the atmosphere from having too much pressure.

-Menewsha. That's the only other site I've made my own roleplays on. xD

-Sure. I don't need it though. It might be good for advertisement if you know what I mean.

-Heck yeah!!!

-Organization is so easy and simple! <3 Saves a lot of time and energy to get to the pages I need to. Maybe we can get a chatbox. But I've learned that that can also be a big distraction from making posts, haha.

-I think the brainstorming and interest gathering forum is enough. But some people have a hard time coming up with a completely new setting and plotline. Maybe if there was a forum or list somewhere where people could put some of their ideas for a roleplay. Since they put them there because they don't have the time to manage another roleplay, others could take those ideas and expand them into reality. Just an idea though.

-That would be cool. That way we can get to know each other and chat outside our roleplaying.

-No complaints here. Love you guys <3
    CLick the Babes!