Login to your account

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we do for you?

What can we do for you?

Hey guys, since Neko is predisposed on her vacation, I thought I'd jump in and see if I could get some feedback on how we can help you, help the site grow. Right now, I believe we are the most advanced roleplay engine around, and we have the nicest bunch of users too!

So, here are some feeder questions to help get the feedback juices running:

What can we do, to make it easier for you to share your roleplays?

Whats the #1 reason your rp buddies won't join wtf?

If we had a roleplay importer tool, which site(s) would you like to be able to import your roleplays from?

Would you like to be able to use your facebook account, for a quick login/signup?

Would you advertise wtf in your signatures? If not, why?

Whats your favorite feature here? Is there anything we are missing that other sites already have?

Can we make it easier to start a rp? What about helping with ideas?

Would you like an off-topic forum? Can we do anything to make it more fun here?

Any other comments, opinions, complaints, praise?

I can't help you a whole lot answering your questions, but I have to say I LOVE this site. I like the way the roleplays are structured, its very organized and makes it easy to find.

I think the site should have like a quick link system (maybe we do and I'm missing it) But I'd like to have a button on like the home page where I can immediately go to marked threads. It's a bit cumbersome to click on the roleplay, then game log/world then the thread.

It can also be a bit intimidating at first, but I feel like a little exploring makes it a very comfortable place to roleplay. I definitely had no idea of where to go at first, but I got it.

My favorite feature is the character feature, the way they're all listed on one page and have an organized profile. I like that a ton.

And an idea generating forum might be a good idea. Like a place where someone can say "Yo I have this idea sketch but help me grow it" or even a form for personal use set up like an interview, for example something that lists questions like this:

What is the name of your world?
    What's the main conflict?
    Who's the good guy? What makes them good?
    Who's the bad guy? What makes them bad?
    Motives of both sides?
    What's the social structure?
    Is it a classist world?
    What races are exalted?
    Who's discriminated against?
    etc.

Basically that would help it so that when an rp starts, the leader knows everything about the world and can post that information in overview so people really know whats going on, cause I've read some rp overviews that were really confusing and I didn't join cause I didn't know the point.

Hope that helped

1. Nothing I can currently think of.
    2. Not applicable lol
    3. No idea, sorry, didn't come from a forum site.
    4. Personally, nope. I might have a FB acct, but barely use it and don't think it'd be good to have personal data connected.
    5. Nope, but that's also because I don't go to other sites with signatures/wouldn't think of it.
    6. Full Featured RPs in general are definitely a favorite for me, and how you can click on New Posts to get everything you've missed while gone. Also Recent Posts on FF's are incredibly useful. The only feature that I can think of that you guys don't have would be real time chat, but then again I've only ever done rping in a real time chat environment before here.
    7. Nope I believe signing up here is incredibly easy so can't think of any way to make it easier.
    8. Thought we already have an off-topic forum lol

I definitely love this place and so far how great everything is! Until Neko went on vacation, was definitely pleased on how easy it was to get in contact with an admin when there were problems so the only other suggestion I might have may be for someone else to give her a little more help in the public face if possible.
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

Whats your favorite feature here? Is there anything we are missing that other sites already have? I love the RP system, I loved it on RPGateway and you've simply made it beautiful to look at. It is smooth it flows and it works wonderfully.

The only requests I want to make are that "locations within locations" can be tabbed, so you can make the list smaller.

Also, being able to link directly to a post like in the normal forums. I can't seem to do it through the RP system, not sure you even can and if it is possible I'd love to know! Otherwise, being able to would be amazing and super helpful.

EDIT: I wanted to add that it would be nice to have an IM system or chatroom system. Something similar to Roleplaygateway's system. I personally want to use it for plotting with my players live, OOC works fine, and I currently use Skype (but not everyone has the same IMs) and a chatroom or IM system would help.

What can we do, to make it easier for you to share your roleplays? Just being able to get into the right forum to advertise would be nice. More info on the issue here.
    Last edited by Strude; 08-01-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Added more to my suggestion.

I agree with the chatroom system, so long as more than one person can join it and it isn't too annoying. I haven't started a roleplay yet so maybe you can already do this, but it didn't look like it--it would be nice to be able to have private, under construction roleplays you can set up without anyone seeing.

@a91nicole; I'm not sure if subscriptions work? Have you given them a shot?

Regarding your list, here is my rough idea of how to help with it, we could start a sort of guide place, where you guys can submit short helper guides, with things such as your question list. We might need to link to helper guides in different parts of the site. Does that sound about right?

We do have a brainstorming forum, not sure if you've seen it? http://www.wtfrpg.com/forum/forumdis...-Brainstorming

Thanks for the help!

@Tigerkytti We don't really have an off-topic forum, though we have several OOC spots. I was thinking more of a place where people could post recent news, funny videos, whatever they like, and couldn't really find an place appropriate.

I'm sure Neko is getting close to taking help, though normally she is super active for 50 weeks in the year :P

Appreciate the feedback

@Strude Nice suggestion! Would you want the collapsing to be saved, or default to open? I'm pretty sure we can link to an exact post pretty easy.

Re your other prob, have you tried a different browser?

@poisonous We don't have a chat system yet, mainly due to the potential for high server load, but that may change.

May I ask why you'd like roleplays to be invisible while being set up? For now, you can close them to new players, and spend as long as you like setting it up before opening it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    @Strude Nice suggestion! Would you want the collapsing to be saved, or default to open? I'm pretty sure we can link to an exact post pretty easy.

Re your other prob, have you tried a different browser?
    Either works for me, or as the GM having the option to set it as default collapsed or open.

I haven't found out how. I know how in normal threads, there is the post number, but you don't have that in the RP system. The only way I've been able to do it is if I edit a post then it gives me the posts number. Otherwise, I haven't figured out any other way.

I haven'[t bothered to dig up Firefox to check if it's the browser. I know I had the same problem with the 1 X 1 forum too but it's working now. So I'm not sure what is up, but I'll start up Firefox and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Strude View Post
    Either works for me, or as the GM having the option to set it as default collapsed or open.

I haven't found out how. I know how in normal threads, there is the post number, but you don't have that in the RP system. The only way I've been able to do it is if I edit a post then it gives me the posts number. Otherwise, I haven't figured out any other way.

I haven'[t bothered to dig up Firefox to check if it's the browser. I know I had the same problem with the 1 X 1 forum too but it's working now. So I'm not sure what is up, but I'll start up Firefox and check.
    That should be a pretty simple option to implement.

I was referring to how easy it should be to do :P

I have an idea what causes it, and it's likely an IE issue. Chrome has always worked great for me!

EWWW IE (only good for DLing other browsers!) I use chrome too, but I just tried on Firefox and I have the same problem.

EWWW IE (only good for DLing other browsers!) I use chrome too, but I just tried on Firefox and I have the same problem.
    Could you try logging out, and then accessing it? If that doesn't work, I've got some further debugging steps we can take.

Could you try logging out, and then accessing it? If that doesn't work, I've got some further debugging steps we can take.
    Same problem even when logged out.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Another suggestion: being able to delete your own posts would be nice too.

Same problem even when logged out.
    Could you go to the page in Chrome, and press CTRL + SHIFT + I

Then navigate to the following *removed just in-case*

Network -> top of the list forumdisplay -> headers

Edit: I need the full screenshot in original size, so I can read it :P

When I go there this is all I get:

Sorry, I forgot a step. Once you have the network tab up, you need to refresh the page.

*removed just in-case*

I am so sorry this is so long!

What can we do, to make it easier for you to share your roleplays?
    The instant OOC threads are unbelievably helpful and one of my favorite features, those alone do a wonderful job of spreading awareness to other users. But if you are talking about out of site sharing it's really something that can't really be improved in my eyes. It's not that hard for us to hotlink our own games, and others we are in and I've seen some pretty cool imagelinks that people have made. The only way I can say you could make this better was by making generic banners that were just very basic and followed the same design, it was just possible to change the text to say the title.

Whats the #1 reason your rp buddies won't join wtf?
    They get overwhelmed and slightly intimidated. Like you said, WTFRPG is probably the most advanced roleplay engine around and that kind of standard gives my friends the "I don't think I'm good enough for this." kind of feel. I've explained that even though it is pretty advanced, it's easily accessed and understood by beginners! To me the site seems as friendly and inviting as it could be, but perhaps some more aesthetic changes? I know that may sound unnecessary but you'd be surprised how much that kind of first impression stuff makes a difference.

If we had a roleplay importer tool, which site(s) would you like to be able to import your roleplays from?
    I am so in love with this site that I've completely dropped all other sites that I used to roleplay on but if I were to throw in my two cents... I've seen a lot of users on here that have been active or are still active on Gaia Online. Being so popular and having a pretty decent sized roleplaying community it would be a good choice to use for importing.

Would you like to be able to use your facebook account, for a quick login/signup?
    Nah, I don't think that's necessary. I for one like to keep real life and my roleplay life separated for the most part.

Would you advertise wtf in your signatures? If not, why?
    I wouldn't really want to be so open about it. I know this may seem crazy and selfish for wanting to keep this site all to myself but WTF is something I only share with people I know I would like to invite to this community. For right now, the users here are amazing... I haven't met one negative person on here and I'd like to keep that this way for as long as possible. Of course I want the site to grow because the more players the more activity and the more activity the more fun...but so far, the only people I have shared this site with are awesome roleplay partners of the past and good friends. I'm sure the day will come when the floodgates open and we will be swimming in all different types of users, so there is bound to be an elitist troll out of every couple hundred but I just love this place and the places I've been just have to many jerks who would want to ruin a good thing like WTFRPG. But if it really came down to it, and you were requesting us to avidly advertise on other sites I would do it.

Whats your favorite feature here? Is there anything we are missing that other sites already have?
    Hmm... the character pool. The way the character creation is set up is fantastic! I love how organized everything is, how everything is explained and laid out so it's easy to understand and just jump right in!

Can we make it easier to start a rp? What about helping with ideas?
    Categories. This is the only idea that I have seen on other websites that hasn't been executed here. Some people have genre preferences and it may be easier to look through roleplays when they are put into categories and sub categories as opposed to the current just lump of games we have now. Not to say people are lazy or anything but if you are EAGER to jump right into a University/Academy/School Life game that is presently active... it may be easier to just click on that category and look at it that way than sifting through EVERYTHING.

Would you like an off-topic forum? Can we do anything to make it more fun here?
    We have the Shooting the Breeze forum that seems to do well enough in handling out of context totally random happenings. So far not too many people really use it that much so I don't think it's necessary to expand quite yet, it's doing a good job getting users to interact and make friends and just hang out.

Any other comments, opinions, complaints, praise?
    This site is going in a great direction, and moving at a steady pace. The community is rich, and pleasant. You and Neko run this site amazingly and are always sure to answer all questions and help out with problems... the hands on nature that you guys have is really appreciated. The only complaint I could possibly think of is that there aren't enough hours in the day for me to loiter on this website. If you could only see the hours that I spend staring at this place! Thank you for creating this place~
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Great, thanks! It looks like your virus scanner (Kaspersky) is interfering with the site, most likely due to adult terms being used on the page too frequently. Personally, I'd just disable parental control http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2011...?qid=208281838

EDIT: I wanted to add that it would be nice to have an IM system or chatroom system. Something similar to Roleplaygateway's system. I personally want to use it for plotting with my players live, OOC works fine, and I currently use Skype (but not everyone has the same IMs) and a chatroom or IM system would help.
    I can't believe I forgot about this! This was suggested a while back and I was all for it. Not to name drop other sites but GOWnation.com has a "shoutbox" which is pretty much the dynamic of a chatbox up at the top of everything and there site kind of looks a lot like ours (Seems like a similar set up) so I was thinking that we could do something like that. Not sure if this helps but it's called MGC Chatbox EVO v3.0.0

EDIT: To add to this, I just wanted to say I would assume this area wouldn't be used for roleplaying... if it was one big room. (Just to address that Kytti suggested this too but made reference to it possibly being used for rp). If anything I think it would be a fun way to see who is online, active and do anything from just chatter or discuss ideas and what not.
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 08-01-2011 at 03:56 AM.

I'm with you there Schizo I wish I had more time to tinker here. I'm really enjoying it, even if I haven't quite gotten CARMINE off the ground! >D

I like the character pool too, the character profile in general really. But my big pull was still the RP system, RPGateway had the same sort of system but look nowhere near as pretty as here. > w < So I was ecstatic that I found a site that had the same system but looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Categories. This is the only idea that I have seen on other websites that hasn't been executed here. Some people have genre preferences and it may be easier to look through roleplays when they are put into categories and sub categories as opposed to the current just lump of games we have now. Not to say people are lazy or anything but if you are EAGER to jump right into a University/Academy/School Life game that is presently active... it may be easier to just click on that category and look at it that way than sifting through EVERYTHING.
    I agree being able to select genre categories would be nice. Like with the character pool you can select "Science Fiction" it would be nice to be able to do the same with the RPs.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    I can't believe I forgot about this! This was suggested a while back and I was all for it. Not to name drop other sites but GOWnation.com has a "shoutbox" which is pretty much the dynamic of a chatbox up at the top of everything and there site kind of looks a lot like ours (Seems like a similar set up) so I was thinking that we could do something like that. Not sure if this helps but it's called MGC Chatbox EVO v3.0.0
    I don't want a chat box because that includes everyone online who logs in; and by don't want I mean it isn't want I meant when I was talking chat room. I want individual chat room for the RPs themselves, so you have to be part of the RP to get into the RPs room. Like I said mostly I want it for plotting and planning because my RP runs on player suggestion and collaborative thinking and a group chat room would be awesome.

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/ <--- is the site I'm talking about. They have a built in chat room deal.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Go figure it'd be something that simple. THANK you tons for looking.

(Slowly getting to all the great response here!)

I like the character pool too, the character profile in general really. But my big pull was still the RP system, RPGateway had the same sort of system but look nowhere near as pretty as here. > w < So I was ecstatic that I found a site that had the same system but looked nice.
    I totally agree! RPGateway inspired some of this site. We spent a bunch of time, trying to simplify the verbage and steps to make things simple. Their site scares me with all the clutter!

I agree being able to select genre categories would be nice. Like with the character pool you can select "Science Fiction" it would be nice to be able to do the same with the RPs.
    Have you tried the tag search? http://www.wtfrpg.com/roleplay/rpg.p...el=0&canjoin=0

I don't want a chat box because that includes everyone online who logs in; and by don't want I mean it isn't want I meant when I was talking chat room. I want individual chat room for the RPs themselves, so you have to be part of the RP to get into the RPs room. Like I said mostly I want it for plotting and planning because my RP runs on player suggestion and collaborative thinking and a group chat room would be awesome.

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/ <--- is the site I'm talking about. They have a built in chat room deal.
    Oh whoops! I wasn't totally sure what you meant there. That idea sounds great too. I'm all for that as well, it sounds like a really great way to easily meld creative minds together for brainstorming!

@Schizophrenic That'd a nice idea, to have pre-generated banners for roleplays. Perhaps select your template image, and it creates the rest for you.

What aesthetic changes would you suggest?

Would we need to request access to a Gaia users account, to import the roleplay? I'm not sure if all guilds are publicly view-able.

We can always use more users lol

Are tags not sufficient? Would you be after a "tag cloud" of the most common tags?

Neko runs the site, I just pay the bills lol I try to throw in the occasional 3rd party view on usability, but the final decisions are up to Neko.

May I ask why you'd like roleplays to be invisible while being set up? For now, you can close them to new players, and spend as long as you like setting it up before opening it.
    Maybe it's just me. When it comes to things that are under construction, I like to be able to fiddle with how things look for a while without people seeing, so I can treat it as a draft and not as something that's "published". I guess published/unpublished is the real word I'm looking for, as the idea would be that the game isn't ready yet.

However it doesn't really do much that Closing doesn't, aside from not getting people confused if they're reading things that get changed later.

Would we need to request access to a Gaia users account, to import the roleplay? I'm not sure if all guilds are publicly view-able.

We can always use more users lol
    It's a scary thought recruiting through Gaia . . . I came here to get away from that lot . . . dragged only the best with me! >D

I just manually Xfer over stuff from there simply because I edit most things in the transfer, but that is me.

It's a scary thought recruiting through Gaia . . . I came here to get away from that lot . . . dragged only the best with me! >D

I just manually Xfer over stuff from there simply because I edit most things in the transfer, but that is me.
    Oddly enough, most of Mene's staff either came from Neopets or Gaia. I hear there are still some mature people hiding out in the guilds lol

Hiding out is a very appropriate term for it. :P

Oddly enough, most of Mene's staff either came from Neopets or Gaia. I hear there are still some mature people hiding out in the guilds lol
    Yeah, there are some awesome people in the guilds if you can find em. I hid in the guilds too . . . I've been slowly dragging my old guildies over here! >D I've just had terrible luck in the Gaian forms, lot of nasty people out there seriously mean and hateful. Kind of upsets me.

That'd a nice idea, to have pre-generated banners for roleplays. Perhaps select your template image, and it creates the rest for you.

Okay cool, I was worried I totally explained that awkwardly but you get it. Nothing super flashy or anything. (I don't want to bog you guys down with tons of projects xD)

What aesthetic changes would you suggest?

That is where I think it would be good to get not just mine but other users opinions. Maybe take a vote or something because sometimes simple is what people prefer, but if it were me I would start with something simple like a little more color? I'm not sure if blue and white is a theme for WTFRPG but a little pop of color here and there might make the site seem a little less... hm.. formal?

Last time I checked... it's 50/50 on public and private profiles so it would most likely have to be requested access.

Are tags not sufficient? Would you be after a "tag cloud" of the most common tags?

The tags do help, but to be honest if Neko didn't help me with my tags I would have probably done a terrible job with them. But "tag cloud" does sound a little more like what my brain is looking for. It's just with all those tags, as simple and straight to the point as they are, it seems to me that categories would be a little easier for newcomers to grasp. Oh I feel totally weird being this involved, I've never seen users opinions matter like this! ><

Neko runs the site, I just pay the bills lol I try to throw in the occasional 3rd party view on usability, but the final decisions are up to Neko.

I see you lurking around! Haha, Neko is very in the mix but I remember when you popped up and helped me with an issue before I had even reported it. I was like "Woah. Ninja Mod."

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Yeah, there are some awesome people in the guilds if you can find em. I hid in the guilds too . . . I've been slowly dragging my old guildies over here! >D I've just had terrible luck in the Gaian forms, lot of nasty people out there seriously mean and hateful. Kind of upsets me.
    That's what I was trying to get at when talking about advertisements on other sites. I completely quit that site once I found here. So much so that I gave all my stuff away and reported my username to get it removed. My FAVORITE thing about this place are the people... Not only have I never been verbally attacked on here for no reason, but I haven't seen any "fake" roleplayers. I don't know if you've ever seen this but it's when someone who thinks roleplaying is stupid decides to pretend to be serious and then completely mock everything by deliberately (for the lack of a better term) crapping on everything anyone says in the game. D:
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 08-01-2011 at 04:36 AM.

I think I'll keep my avatar and the name . . . I don't want no other Strude's wondering around Gaia! >D I'm the one and only! X|D

@Schizophrenic We originally planned on making things less formal, with the use of the WTF in our name. For example, we were thinking of doing something like changing the banner randomly to different explanations, such as "Wheres The Food" "Whats That Fish" "We're The Future" etc...

Being involved is a great thing! You guys are the community, it's the staffs job to support it, not hinder it.

Yup, I do that lol My job is general code reviews, and I'm the first person to receive an email when an error occurs, which means I'm normally the first one to fix said error. Alex does a great job though, so I see very few error emails.