Login to your account

Thread: What keeps you coming back?

What keeps you coming back?

Hey guys, Schiz here. Way back when, my name was one you could find glued to almost every inch of this site. I had my hands in everything from just buzzing around the site playing games and socializing to creating events for the community to take part in. I've worked on features that have flopped, and features that have done really well. And the amount of time I spent trying to advertise this place and get new people to join was a never ending task.

For those of you who are new, you can't imagine this place as fast moving as it was in it's prime - which even then was small - we were still a tight knit community, but that also had a lot to do with it's beauty. New games every day, new faces to love, and all of us that grew with this site were beaming with excitement!

But enough about the old days, because the past is the past and now is well... now!! I have some questions for ya'll and if any of the - ehem - 3 dozen (ish) active members happen to graze by this I'd be more than happy if you'd give your feedback and answer!

Question 1.) If you are new, what appeals to you right now with this site? If you are a seasoned member, what keeps you here?

My answer: I loved this site, like, the kind of commitment love where even though we've parted ways I keep drunk texting it late on Friday nights asking if it's still up for anything. Hahaha.... I just can't seem to let go completely. And even when I try to move on to new sites, there's so many flaws I see within them that I just can't ever settle with anything else. WTF has spoiled me in such a way that it has literally ruined all other roleplaying sites for the rest of forever it seems. Granted, this place isn't perfect, but there were too many good points in it's system and set up that cannot be rivaled.

Question 2.) Would you be willing to help breathe some life back into this place?

My answer: Yes. A lot of the reason why I left this community was because I had a lot going on in my personal life that made it impossible for me to be consistent with my effort here. But right now, things are going pretty damn good and I think I can enjoy myself with my hobbies once again.

Question 3.) What should our game plan be?

My answer: That's... not something I actually have a perfect answer for right now. Mainly because it's not something I can do singlehandedly. Really, it's not that hard to do, it just requires people to do it. Enough people in one place to keep the flow of ideas fresh, get enough games going, get the social aspects of the site buzzing again, and then it will be easier to sell this place to newcomers!

In closing, this is just my last ditch effort to try and get some blood flowing through WTFRPG's cold veins. I have made so many memories here, and met some really amazing people and would be floored if others could have the same experience. So, thanks for reading!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Question 1.) If you are new, what appeals to you right now with this site? If you are a seasoned member, what keeps you here?

My answer: I loved this site, like, the kind of commitment love where even though we've parted ways I keep drunk texting it late on Friday nights asking if it's still up for anything. Hahaha.... I just can't seem to let go completely. And even when I try to move on to new sites, there's so many flaws I see within them that I just can't ever settle with anything else. WTF has spoiled me in such a way that it has literally ruined all other roleplaying sites for the rest of forever it seems. Granted, this place isn't perfect, but there were too many good points in it's system and set up that cannot be rivaled.
    The format hasn't been beat to me and there is some nostalgia, because WTF had great writers on the website. Usually I see websites either strict on content, which is annoying, or 18+, which degrades quickly into smut, sadly. (I shouldn't complained too much about that, but it's more the difficulty of navigating away from that which I mostly want.)

Question 2.) Would you be willing to help breathe some life back into this place?

My answer: Yes. A lot of the reason why I left this community was because I had a lot going on in my personal life that made it impossible for me to be consistent with my effort here. But right now, things are going pretty damn good and I think I can enjoy myself with my hobbies once again.
    YES! I am such a commitophobe at times and that's what spoiled things, I think, for me personally. I had awesome roleplayers asking to roleplay with me, but I was so hesitant to get started. I read one of the messages (from Xavirne) today and blushed so hard in shame that I had not replied. I was beating myself over the head when I didn't start a story with Susurrous. Also, it would be helpful if it would send alerts to my private messages (or maybe I just haven't figured that out yet).

My answer: That's... not something I actually have a perfect answer for right now. Mainly because it's not something I can do singlehandedly. Really, it's not that hard to do, it just requires people to do it. Enough people in one place to keep the flow of ideas fresh, get enough games going, get the social aspects of the site buzzing again, and then it will be easier to sell this place to newcomers!
    It's funny you ask. I made a list of things I should do...SHOULD DO BEING KEY.
    EVERYDAY: Voting for WTFRPG to draw more people. I have this website for that so far: http://www.toprpsites.com/ (Status: I have done this thrice, so I'm doing poorly here.)
    MON-SAT: 3000 words for a free writing class. (Fail, but I'm getting back on that horse.)
    MON-FRI: Work on Worlds/Plot/Races/Languages. (Doing well here.)
    TUES, THURS-SAT: Roleplay (dedicated time, aim for 1500 words per roleplay). (I'm doing too well here; takes away from my class.)
    FRI-SUN: Advertise WTFRPG. (I don't know how to do this without potentially breaking rules. The most I've done is contact people I know from here to beg them back, namely Enk because he's as bad as me for failure, but at least he tries, where I need to work on it more.)
    FRI-SAT: Mentor at least 1 person (Currently, I'm editing Enk's Full-Feature.)
    SAT: 1000 words for writing class review

I say that we hunt down the great roleplayers, and beg them on hands and knees to return. I have found some of them, but I'm a chicken and I'm sure that they had good reasons to leave. I have seen even those with a very negative view of the website currently behave and say things that show that they really just miss how it used to be and how much more it could be. If anyone wants me to and they know who they want back, I could be all stalkerish and conscienceless, and find those people.

What's a good number of people to be writing with? I trying to be more active--one of the complaints I read about was a lack of community--so what would be a good count? I'm afraid of being overwhelmed. If it was a group, then that's easier to roleplay with more people, but I guess I should be saying how many individual stories? I have one person who I am trying to dedicate myself to, because she is my sister, bestfriend and patient as all get-out, but how many others to make sure to build a community? I think it would be so much easier to have better categorization, tags and organization, especially with the awesome Full-Feature.
    PERMANENT PARTNER: 1 (Check)
    NEW PARTNER: 1 every...3 Months? At the end (whether true end or just failure to finish), reference the individual to another roleplayer who you think they would do great with and/or add to prospective partner list for when you have more free time. (Check 4x over. At least, I've opened myself up to this.)
    DUNGEONMASTER PARTNER: 1 (I might have this checked off; I know one person who likes to do that and another that says he likes to do that, but both die quickly and one right now is busy) Basically, the person prefers to guide the plot and have reactive roleplayers. I don't particularly like DM partners, but I have read awesome example of those that master being the dungeonmaster.
    DUNGEONSLAVE PARTNER: 1 (-_- Check, potentially 5x) Who doesn't have that roleplay partner that just wants to react? I don't care much for this partner either, but you're bound to get them.
    GROUP PARTNERS: 2
    (Uncheck) I haven't done a group roleplay in a long time, but I know two people who could do that with me.

That's 6 people right there, if a person could get that. It might be better to go off of stories themselves. How many unique stories should a person do at once?
    YOUR OWN NOVEL: 1-4?
    YOU ARE THE PRIME PLOTTER (1x1 or Group): 1
    YOU & ANOTHER ARE THE PRIME PLOTTERS (1x1): 1
    ANOTHER IS THE PRIME PLOTTER (1x1 or Group): This could potentially be any number.
    Last edited by Kriemedean; 03-10-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

There are dozens of us! Literally dozens. I've missed you all and suffice to say I'm feeling up to reminisce.

I don't know that I'm seasoned because even though I was here on and off for a few years a lot of them were filled with dead activity. Still there's always this hope I have that the site will become active again because there really are a lot of great things about it. The interface is easy to manage (no random bugs/server shutdowns), no one's expecting you to have a masterclass knowledge of coding, and everyone kind of knew each other. Well more me knowing them since I mostly lurked outside of OOC chatter. :P

I definitely would if we had a dedicated base behind us. While I'm of a belief that most tight-knit sites meet their death eventually I don't think that one as nice as this one deserves that and I've grown quite nostalgic reading back.

More exposure and more things to do! It has to be a community effort obviously, but this website needs more active members making things. They don't have to be these big, grand roleplays but they need to be active and interesting enough that if a newbie peruses by they'd be down to join or at least read along. I liked the Halloween RP event that went on a while back and it's a shame that we didn't really get too deep into it :c

Sadly this is one of those things where the two problems feed into each other. Less activity = less interested RPers. Less interested RPers = less activity.

The exposure part is a bit trickier but I think Kriemedean has the right idea with voting to advertise. That website is pretty good (although the smaller communities get drowned out) since we might just get a few rare hits. As for stalking down people to play here with...that's a little bit harder for me since most people think this site is dead or ugly.

But it's a start.
    Current Status: Trying to be an adult but still lurking and whatnot.

Steam => Smallkine
    Menewsha => Cows Go Moo
    Battlenet => Smallkine#1325
    Twitter => hinomiyas
    RPNation => Yandere Self Aware
    Discord => Smallkine
    Riot => Eva#Unit1

I don't consider myself a seasoned member of the site even if I did pop up back when the site was newish and pretty much wondered away after a real life move made me disconnect from the net. Plus I think my rp partners stopped coming on so I stopped having a reason to come one. But I keep popping back because.. well I wanna see this site active again.. and hope that it'll magically get active again. This is one of the sites that if I'm dong an rp with someone over a messenger or on an 18+ site and get asked if I want to move it off site.. I suggest this site because I love it and because it has the Adult part as well as the general part make it a perfect place for me to want to rp. I loved this site back when it was active.

Yeah.. I'm gonna see if I can drag a couple of people I rp with on an 18+ site over here. Since that site is a bit toxic to me and hugely smut based and bad rpers. Seriously if you can't do one half line without a spelling mistake and keep doing that over five or six replies in a row.. that is just kinda bad with no attempt to even improve the spelling.

I really don't know aside from more advertising but that runs into making a group of people who use an ad to post on other forum rp sites to draw users from there too. Unless everyone kinda spams this site on the other sites they are on either on their profile or signature or something.
    Affiliates would also be a good thing to mix in and use. Make a page or something to list the affiliated sites back on for the ones who want to be or who we seek out asking for affiliation with.
    If there was like some kind of rewards for referring members might help.
    On the voting if there was a rewards for voting, like one site I'm on if you vote you get points which the points are used for more elite items in game.. which you can only get via voting or buying from other players.
    Some things that can be rewards:
    • Perhaps once a person gets enough points they can opt for one of their rps to be featured on the site. Although rule out rps that are just 1x1 rps for that.
    • A custom title on the form. If that isn't something that someone can gain just by posting a lot, even if it is making it a reward is something that'd be interesting.
    Anything else on rewards is just limited the features one normally has to make them do stuff to get the points to let them use them as like a money feature but I don't see that working out well.
    Last edited by BoredNeko19; 03-17-2016 at 05:58 AM.
    Want to rp? Send me a PM!

Story of Us a small town slice of fantasy life.
    Shichiyou Academy is Adult Rated School.