Login to your account

Thread: Glossary of terms - Help a staffer out!

Lightbulb Glossary of terms - Help a staffer out!

This thread is for suggesting different terms that should go into a "Glossary" thread.

I won't make the thread just yet (as of the original date of posting, anyway), but will create it later after I have a few different terms to work with.

What terms do you think should go into it?

You can suggest ones that you're not sure of or offer terms that you know about and think people would want explained!
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Here are a few terms I can think of off the top of my head:

OC = ("Original Character") A character that someone created without being based on a pre-existing character.
    example: "Sarah Smith is my OC for the Harry Potter universe. She's in Hufflepuff and plays Seeker."
    NPC = ("Non Player Character") A character that isn't played exclusively by any one player. Generally, the leader of the game plays the character, though in some games an NPC can be controlled by any player. An NPC is a "prop" used to move the action along for storytelling purposes.
    example: "The bystander NPC screamed out a warning to Spiderman when the thug drew a gun! When Spiderman told the NPC to get to a safe place, she ran off."
    GM = ("Game Master") The leader and main storyteller of the game, in charge of guiding the plot and ruling in case of a disagreement. Not all games have one specific person acting as leader.
    example: "The GM said I couldn't create an aardvark character in the Cats Parade game because all the characters in Cats Parade have to be cats."
    DM = ("Dungeon Master") Often used exclusively in "Dungeons and Dragons" games, though other games borrow the term. The leader and main storyteller of the game, in charge of guiding the plot and ruling in case of a disagreement. Not all games have one specific person acting as leader.
    example: "The DM had me roll for a perception check. She didn't tell me how I did, so now I'm worried I'm about to step on a trap..."
    ----

That's all I have off the top of my head, though I'm sure I'll think of others later.

Suggestions? Thoughts? :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Define "Game" So that people like me get what you mean? XD
    OOC: Out of Character
    God Modding: God Modding" is in essence when someone’s character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. And example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.
    Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu: is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. [Which I have seen in many rps]

Hmm.... 'game'...

Game: In the context of WTF RPG, it is a roleplaying group/pair and their storyline. A 'game' does not require stats, dice, etc. Any new roleplay on the site may be called a 'game' and users may be involved in several different 'games' at a time.
    example: "I just joined the WTF Multiverse game and I'm looking for people to play with. I'll probably clone my characters and put them in the Clone Warehouse, but I probably won't play the game."
    Does that help any, you think? xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

It helps, you accepting the other terms I suggested?

Yep! I'll just be adding "God-Mode" next to God-modding, since they're the same thing, just different terms for it. :3 ("God-Mod" tends to come from people either with a coding background or forum backgrounds. As in "modifying" things like they're a God. "God-Mode" tends to come from people with gaming backgrounds. As in entering a "mode" where they're a God.)

/rambles
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I call it God Mod as well, I just knew that there was something else it goes by.
    Also I think fandom should be added.Then
    Yuri, Yaoi, Slash, should be added. I think yaoi and slash might be considered the same thing though was never fully clear on that.
    Then maybe Lit, Advance Lit, Semi-Lit, so people can understand those.
    Also Canon-the official story line of characters..etc
    Might want to throw one up for Furry *cringes*
    Handwaving, also Handwave or Hand wave Which is skipping a scene, like skipping a sexual scene or some scene the rpers don't want to write, but agreed happened.

Multiverse where character from many fandoms exist at once.

One-liners having a one sentence post

IC: In character

Wow, so that's a lot, I have.

I've never been fully clear on whether "slash" meant male/male or not either. I'll have to go to Urban Dictionary about it to double-check. xD

All good suggestions, btw. :3

Going to note down "forced action/ing" - which is the same thing as God-mod/mode.

Feel free to add any others you think of. xD I'll be making a post for each letter of the alphabet and filling in any terms/phrases that need explaining.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Alright, I know slash is still male/male love.
    "Slash Fiction is the portrayal of a perceived homosexual relationship between two lead characters in a popular continuity."
    From urban.

Wonders if we should bother with adding Uke/Seme/Seke.
    Uke-Bottom in relationships
    Seme-Top in relationships
    Seke-interchangeable in relationships
    These three are mostly used in yaoi.
    Last edited by Rei Ann; 06-09-2011 at 02:57 AM.

I don't think it'd hurt to add those terms. xD And thanks for looking up "slash" for me. xD It allows me to be a little more lazy. >_>
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Canon: The original source material, and where the characters and locations came from.

What is Roleplaying? Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role. While the Oxford English Dictionary defines role-playing as "the changing of one's behaviour to fulfill a social role"
    Last edited by Auzei; 06-16-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Ann View Post
    Alright, I know slash is still male/male love.
    "Slash Fiction is the portrayal of a perceived homosexual relationship between two lead characters in a popular continuity."
    From urban.

Not to be contrary, but actually Slash refers to male/male AND female/female love. Homosexual refers to someone who has a sexual preference for someone of the same gender. IE: male/male and female/female
    Just thought I should say something so there's no confusion for others^^

Some other terms that you may want to add:

SL= abbreviation for Storyline, meaning the plot of a roleplay. IE: "The SL is interesting and engaging."

Char= abbreviation for Character IE: "Their char is really cool."

MS= short for Mind Send, an action where someone sends a message (their words) to another through telepathy IE: "MS: Don't look right now, but he's right behind you!" or "MS to Jill: Don't look right now, but he's right behind you!"

atm= at the moment

brb= Be right back

tbh= to be honest

I know some of the ones I mentioned seem pretty obvious, but I've met at least one person who hasn't known what one of those meant at one time or another lol Anywho, hope I've helped at least somewhat lol

Thanks Auzei and Tigerkytti! Both of your additions (and corrections) are appreciated. :3

This is a project I'm not going to start right away, but will very soon, so if anyone else has ideas/thoughts, they're welcome. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

You forgot the most obvious one! Come on guys!

RP: The short abbreviated form of roleplay.

HOW CAN YOU MISS THAT?

Also:

Linear: Following a set path and has a limited ability of choice.

Non-linear: It doesn't follow a set path and allows you the ability of choice.
    Last edited by APBCole; 06-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.

If I ever feel smart enough and not lazy enough. I might try to make a 'Roleplaying Etiquette' forum post somewhere. and APBCole you are totally right. How did we miss RP?

I'm on such a roll that one of Nekos posts reminded me of another one:

Skip: To skip a specific element of roleplay to advanced to perhaps another moment in time in the near future.

Now i'm happy...I think...unless my brain randomly thinks up new ones then we're screwed. xD

Ah remembered another one;

OP= Overpowered; When a character has so much power that it unbalances things. Can even ruin a RP/ SL.
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

Auzei - An RP etiquette post would be great.

Keep 'em coming, you guys. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

My friend reminded me of this one and I thought I'd note it down before I forgot:

Meta-gamers/Meta-gaming: Taking OOC information and bringing it to the game, even if the character would have no way to know the information or giving themselves the thinnest of excuses for their character knowing it. It also applies to taking OOC feelings about a character or player and having their character act on them. (ie: Player A has a fight with Player B and suddenly their character takes a sudden dislike to Player B's character.)
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

How about...

GH: Game Host (since game masters are called hosts here?)
    PM: private message (for people asking to PM them/newbies to forums too)
    PC: playable character (there's npc and oc but I didn't see PC)
    AU: alternative/Alternate universe (for fandom characters in other universes)
    Crossover: (similar to the aforementioned multiverse)
    Double/Doubling: which someone mentioned in a 1on1 request and I'm not certain what they mean (but I guess they mean playing two characters or something to match up lol)

In regards to furry, I think you should distinguish Kemonomimi (human characters with animal features- this is usually just ear and tails, and sometimes paws but nothing else: for instance catgirls, catboys, most kitsunes in human form, etc) with fully furry (animal characters with furry features- fur on the skin, snout, usually animal-like hind legs, etc, etc) characters. Because for instance I like kemonomimi but not furry so to have it badly advertised is augh. :P
    And I guess in general Antromorphism? (human qualities are given to non-human beings, objects, etc; like when you draw your computer as a person for instance, and the words seems to comprise furry and such too)

In regards to the word "seke" (from the seme/uke thing), isn't is "suke?" I always wondered. :P

(ooc)

In regards to the word "seke" (from the seme/uke thing), isn't is "suke?" I always wondered. :P
    Pointless reply is pointless, but the reason it's seke and not suke is how the words are broken up. In japanese seme is せめ (せ = se め = me). And Uke is うけ (う = u け = ke). So for the Japanese speaker to split it up into s + uke would be near impossible- as s isn't a stand alone consonant in the Japanese language. So they just take the first kana part of seme (せ se) and the latter of uke (け ke) to make seke! (Though, if you're ever speaking with a japanese-born yaoi fan they may sometimes forgo the word seke in favor of the phrase Riba (リバ). It means the same thing, riba is just slang for the English loanword "reversible.")

I'll probably copy and paste that explanation when I make the guide, onestar, with your permission. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Ohh, thanks for clearing that up! I'm from the generation where yaoi was just newish and there were no sekes haha. (Or rather they were just called reversible :P) And when I "got back" into the community everyone was otaku-ing it all over the place with "seke this" "suke that" (hence my not knowing if it was seke or suke) "fujoshi day" and "moe the other" and I was like "whut, my Japanese lessons didn't cover those sort of terms". <.<;;; (had to actually google for an updated "otaku" word reference, felt so old XDDD) At first I always thought it just meant sasoi uke. XD

(ooc)

I'll probably copy and paste that explanation when I make the guide, onestar, with your permission. xD
    Haha, that's fine! (I didn't actually think anyone would find it that useful, but I'm glad to help :D )

And yeah, this new yaoi generation is really interesting. I'm still getting used to the fact that the word "shounen ai" has basically been blacklisted now. Crazy kids and their crazy definitions! It took me a little to get the word fujoshi, too, because fujoshi like this (腐女子) is bad, and fujoshi like this (婦女子) is a respectable title. So just hearing it out loud was a little confusing. XD

Powerplaying: When someone plays the characters of another roleplayer without permission or mutual understanding about acceptable boundaries between the roleplayers involved.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"