Login to your account

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: After The Magic Has Faded

"Take them, you haven't stopped blowing on your hands since I got here,"he said with a smile, stepping closer so she could reach,"I don't mind, really. They make it too hard to grip things when I'm running."

Neither Sinner nor Saint SedatedDemon's Avatar
    Astoria looked up into his eyes and felt her chest clench. She slowly reached out and took them. "Thank you." She said softly, and she even managed to return his smile.

Joey's smile grew,"You're pretty when you smile, you know. No so witchy."

Astoria looked offended, but she couldn't help the heat that rose to her cheeks. "I-Well.. Thanks, I guess." She stumbled, looking down to slip the gloves on.

Joey shook his head and looked at the fire again, taking a Bute of the jerky once more. Flirting with a witch? This was unheard of.

Her hands felt considerably warmer, and she glanced up at him, watching him watch the fire.

Joey looked up in time to meet her eyes. She was absolutely enchanting, no pun intended. He looked over her shoulder and the sun was beginning to move,"I should go... The fighting and hunting begins at day break..."

Astoria looked away and slowly stood up. "Yes, of course." She sighed and held a hand out to him to shake. "I don't expect that we'll see each other again. So.. Good luck."

"Good luck to you, I hope the gloves serve you well... Can I just walk through the invisosheild thing?"Joey asked, unsure.

"No. I'll take it down." Astoria said, grabbing her wand. She took down the protection charms and turned back to Joey. "Now, you can go through."

"Well, it was great to meet you, miss,"he nodded his head before running into the forest once again.

Astoria watched him leave, then she put the protection charms back up. She extinguished the fire and used magic to put fire in a jar so she could stay warm. She went inside of her tent, laid in the cot with the jar close, and slowly fell asleep.

When Joey got back most of the kids were asleep. They usually slept during the day. He laid down as well and closed his eyes. No one would believe him even if he told them.

The next morning, Astoria woke up, freezing. She slowly got up and started a fire outside. She took out some pumpkin juice and bread and ate a little bit, her blanket wrapped around her shoulders. It was even starting to snow.

The screaming. The screaming was always the worst, especially when it was coming into the basement. Frostbite was always a problem and the purple fingerless and toes terrified kids. Joey wrapped them up and held them close. There was no cure.

After her breakfast, Astoria went inside of the went and grabbed a bucket then filled it with water. She used her wand to boil it. She took it outsode with her and took off most of her clothes, keeping close to the fire with warmth. She then began to wash what she could with the hot water.

The day was long, like it usually was. Joey could remember a time when people were afraid of the dark. Now they yearned for it. He couldn't stop thinking about that girl...

As it started to get dark, Astoria started to feel antsy. She felt like she was waiting for something. But what? She felt lonely and impatient. She wasn't used to being on her own, in these conditions.

Joey set off again, hoping that he could find Astoria. He set off into the forest,"Astoria!"

Astoria was about to doze off when she heard a voice. She stood up and listened. It sounded like Joey's. She grabbed her wand and put down the enchantments. Just then.. "A witch!" She heard someone gasp and she turned and saw a man with a knife running at her. She gasped in surprise but was too slow to react. She was knocked to the side, her wand flying out of her hand and landing a few feet away from her. She reached out, desperately, gritting her teeth. She saw the knife flash before her eyes and she rolled over, the blade cutting through her sleeve and grazing her shoulder. She kicked him in the gut and finally seized her wand. Without hesitation, she pointed it at him. "Avada Kedavra!" She gasped and a flash of green light hit the man in the chest and he fell over, dead.

Joey was sprinting in, and was almost there when the man landed at his feet. He was in shock for a moment before looking at her,"Astoria, it's me... Your arm, let me help you." Her wand was up, so he waited, standing still.

Astoria kept her wand held up, though it was shaking. "You just witnessed me kill a Muggle, and.. And.. And you're worried about my arm?" She slowly lowered her wand and looked down at her shoulder.

"He charged you, you defended yourself,"Joey said as he stepped over the man and knelt down beside her,"I've seen people kill for a lot less,"he said before tearing some of his shirt off and wiping the blood away.

Astoria winced and looked down, not meeting his gaze. She could easily fix her arm with magic, or the Dittany she has in her bag. But his gentle touch was soothing. And though she hated to admit it, it was nice.

Joey caught site of the pot of water, and though it was almost empty, he dipped the shred of his shirt inside and continued to wipe her arm,"It's not very deep, it should stop bleeding soon,"he said, applying lite pressure to her arm.

Astoria nodded and tucked a strand of fair hair behind her ear. "Thank you." She said softly. She turned her head to finally meet his eyes. "Why did you come here?" She asked.

"To check on you,"Joey said quietly, smiling gently at her,"Us survivors have to stick together."

Astoria felt her heartbeat quicken for some reason and she averted her eyes, swallowing heavily. "Well.. I'm fine. You don't need to check on me." She said, picking at the grass that was peeking out of the snow.

"That doesn't mean you can't have a friend,"Joey said softly, pulling the rag away and nodding,"It not bleeding anymore, but it probably isn't very clean."

Astoria shrugged and pulled her sleeve down over it before putting her jacket on. "It'll be fine." She said, turning to face the fire.