Login to your account

Thread: [BOOKS] Tea and leaves and pages.

[BOOKS] Tea and leaves and pages.

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME...

Since we're a writing community, it only makes sense that we're also avid readers. Maybe. I confess, I haven't been spending a lot of time reading in the past few years (I blame it on school, which is odd, lol), but as I reorient myself, I find that I really do miss reading! There's something super fantastical about curling up in bed or in a chair and just spending a rainy day inside with a hot cup of tea and a thoroughly exciting book in hand.

So, WTF'ers, tell me, what are you reading or what have you read and what do you like or don't like! You don't have to recommend "classics," lol. Feel free to just talk about how much you love that supermarket paperback you purchased on a whim. Guilty pleasure reads are, often times, the best kind of reads. ;3

• Please follow all WTF rules!
    • People have varied and different tastes; not everyone will like the same things. Respect the difference!
    • Suggestions should be (or close to) PG-13! If not, head on over to the sister thread!
    • This thread is only for novels / short stories / fan fiction. Sorry, comic / manga fans!

Last edited by joonsexual; 11-13-2014 at 07:33 PM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

When I get home I have a few books to suggestion, some of those random "picked it up just because" books that turned out to be pleasant surprises. There is one I really think you'd like Jing.

I have a reading suggestion for anyone looking for a very easy to consume book. Maximum Ride, James Patterson it is a young adults series about genetically altered avian hybrid children. My suggestion is the first three books up to the forth book. The series continues past four books, but I've never personally read them and I know the first four books covers the main storyline beginning to end (not really sure what the other books are about to be honest).

The language in these books is simple, easy to read and that makes it a very fast series of books to complete. All four books can be easily completed within a week.

The series was also turned into a manga. I've never purchased or really read them. I suggest the books first then the manga.

[website]
    Last edited by Strude; 11-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.

@ STRUDE :

Yeah, please recommend me books! I mostly made this thread so I can see what kind of books people are reading and if any of them appeal to me, lol.

I recently finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and I definitely recommend it. It's a really moving narrative. I haven't decided if it's one of my top favorite books, but it's definitely something I think was well worth the money I paid, haha.

TUMBLR.

Maximum Ride was cool if not a bit weird with the science lol.
    I haven't had much time to read, but in my free time I've been trying to read the doorstopper known as "The Instructions" by Adam Levin. I also recommend Hyperbole and A Half (the thing that spawned the whole ALL THE __ meme) if you want something light and funny.
    Current Status: Trying to be an adult but still lurking and whatnot.

Steam => Smallkine
    Menewsha => Cows Go Moo
    Battlenet => Smallkine#1325
    Twitter => hinomiyas
    RPNation => Yandere Self Aware
    Discord => Smallkine
    Riot => Eva#Unit1

I've read some of Hyperbole and a Half. I like some of it and others don't resonate as much with me, sadly.

Something Happened by Joseph Heller is definitely one of my favorite reads. It's a bit lengthy, but the narrative is absolutely hilarious. I love the way its written (seemingly very casual, as if everything was being discussed over lunch or something) and I love the content (it's both entertaining and, at a point, distressing).

I know most people think Catch-22 is Heller's best work (or, at the very least, it's his most popular work), but I would disagree. Something Happened is a phenomenal read and, unlike Catch-22, the narration really jumps off the page at you (or it did for me).

TUMBLR.

Okay, so this is one of those guilty pleasure reads that I like to pick up when no one is paying attention to me...

Confessions of a Shopaholic is such an easy, light-hearted book. The movie, while endearing it is own way, really undersells the best quality of the book, which is Kinsella's narrative voice. There are also some major differences between the movie and the book and, as usual, I think the book does a much better job of selling you the characters and their romance. Plus, Becky is such a character. Really, she's just great.

I also really like Can You Keep A Secret. It's cute and, honestly, I don't care that the whole novel is unrealistic. Some times, I'm not looking to read nitty-gritty, real-world despair-doom-disaster stories. Some times, I just want to be romanced away by a character who's life is nothing short of a fairytale.

TUMBLR.