Marcus was outside Jurgenville, near a platform that overlooked the horizon, and the waterfall below it, with a mill that used the water flow to power the steam engines. The sun was getting in Germana, it was a beautiful sight, one Marcus enjoys everyday. He sat on the protective fence, his feet swung back and forth above a hundred foot tall fall. It was a not so eventful week for him, no important anecdotes to be mentioned, no encounters with moonshine smugglers or deranged prison escapees. It was a quiet week, his birthday by midnight.

Marcus stared into the horizon as the sun hid and casted purple shades into the skies, the distant neighboring counties lit up, steam coming out from homes and factories. The steam engine below sounded a horn, signifying it has started to generate more power, the people here enjoyed the luxury of steam-powered tech, so they didn't mind the noise. Marcus found it annoying that it should be left unresolved, he had ideas in his head to fix the noise- until he was interrupted.

A figure approached him, he was dressed in fading robes, and had a warm yet old face, red nose, and an impressive beard. Both hands behind his back as he approached Marcus.

"Nice beard!" Marcus remarked, turning his body towards the old man, and jumping down on two feet.
"Aye, so it is." The old man said, running his fingers through his beard.
"Can I help you? I have never seen you around? You visiting Jurgenville?"
"Aye, I am a visitor from the beyond. You are needed young one. You are destined for great a many feats." The old man approached closer.
"Destined? That's interesting. Keep talking." Marcus said, sitting down, his back against the fence, knees to his chest.
"I am Grand Elder Naghum, I have come to offer you to join a team that is tasked of great things." The Elder said.

Marcus paused for a while, pondering, staring at the Elder. He looked out of place, out of time. But the offer was upbeat, it promises excitement, something Marcus longs for. Maybe meaning, something grander he yearns to achieve.
"You from the government of Euboria?"
The Elder took out a tiny pouch and drank from its tip, he wiped his beard and put the pouch in his robe. "Oh no no my boy, I am from the beyond. Come with me, it will make things easier."

"You want me to come with you? There is a 'don't take candy from strangers' joke to be made here," Marcus chuckled.
"I did not offer candy, but what comes next should impress you."

The Grand Elder motioned his hands as he created a colorful portal that channeled the image of a golden hall of some sort. "The Cortex of Creation, come now."
"Wait, what is this about? I wanna know more before I jump there- wherever there is."

"You are to join a team of other peers from alternate and parallel universes, the team is to prevent the fallout of all there is by traveling into multiple worlds and preventing certain things from happening. The rewards are lucrative, such as preserving existence. The team is formed by celestial beings that watch over all there is, called the Grand Elders, I am the Elder tasked to guide the team. The Protectors of Existence."

"Woah, that's super cool, and meaningful. Do I get to say goodbye-" Marcus was interrupted by the sudden shift in reality as he phased through worlds and timelines and finally finding himself standing in a huge golden hall. He looked around, groggy, the Grand Elder he spoke to was in the distance, attending some sort of beverages platform. Marcus look around again and found three other people, the rest of the team.