Login to your account

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: random tangent thread

Awesome Have you won any books on there at all?

I've actually won 4, but one I never got, and one was an ebook. I hear of people who win like 20 D: Butbut... I'm unlucky because I'm outside US/CA, and there's only like 3/10 of the amount of giveaways that USA/Canada have available. So I miss out on a lot of cool book giveaways.

(ooc)

what is that? never heard of eet but if it is book related it sounds good.

@Tahiel
    Ohh I know, my friends are always winning them but I haven't myself... though I think I only joined back in June. That sucks though that they limit it to certain countries, much as I understand why.

@Aerion
    Yes it's a book related site xD one of the best and it allows you to record all the books you've read, want to read, want to buy, etc etc etc. Not to mention many authors give book reviews as well as other people. xD I would definitely recommend it <3

Yeah, I didn't win anything the first few months, I only started winning stuff this past month. But yeah, I understand too but it sucks, I mean there's ebooks too, they could open those internationally. :/
    For instance, I love fantasy books, which are -really- hard to get here and usually have to get them abroad, but there's little fantasy stuff open to all countries. And then what IS open usually also has like the entire US population requesting too since they don't separate the giveaway, so it usually ends up going there anyway. lol *feels left out ._.*

Aerion: Yuuuussss, we recommend it. Make an account and add me, add me! lol I liked it best than all other sites. Librarything, Shelfari and the like are too blah/have limits/I don't feel comfortable in. XD
    I love goodreads for my books though <3 (and use Listal for everything else, tho don't update it as often)
    Last edited by Tahiel; 07-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.

(ooc)

Yeah, they should expand on ebooks. I'm not sure as to why they haven't. D; I'm sorry you feel left out. -hugs- And... if you don't mind me asking, where abouts do you live? Country-wise.

Well, the people making the giveaways just... don't want to give them overseas? I don't know lol. I need to move to the US~ (or Canada XD)...
    And I don't mind. I live in Argentina. xDDD The country of "We're sorry, you can't view this site from your current location". <_<; *thinking of hulu* XD

(ooc)

It's probably more expensive to ship it overseas. Pssstt move to Canada. lol The US and Canada really aren't all that different people wise. It'd be more of a matter of climate and well... benefits. But Argentina, wow you're the first I've run into on the web from there. Though I don't know much about it, sad to say. And... don't worry you aren't the only one getting those stupid 'not available in your country' notices. Granted I probably don't get them as much, but they're annoying D;<

Yeah it is. And Latin America is usually the most expensive place to ship to and from. Joy. XD And we're starting to get the Italy treatment too (the "We don't ship to xx Latin American country") since our postal offices suuuuuck. Y_Y
    Haha, I'd move there in a heartbeat, honestly. If only I could~

Annnddd well, there's always a first. Don't worry, I don't know much about my own country either. ;P So long as you know where it is, I'm happy XDD (seriously, I've been told "Oh, Argentina, in Africa!" and seen enough "South America? I'm from south America! I'm from *insert southern USA state of choice here*!" to last me a lifetime. XD)

Also, that sucks, I thought Canada didn't get it that much. ;(
    I also miss out in all the pretty "Free shipping to USA and Canada" lol
    Last edited by Tahiel; 07-22-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: asdakfasd I can't spell lol

(ooc)

Man, that sucks. ): I hope you get the opportunity. Wherever it is you want to go. And lol, at least you don't get 'do you live in igloos?' kind of questions. I don't know how many times I've had people ask me that. I've also met someone convinced that the USA owned Canada. ^.^;; but you gotta admit, it's pretty damn funny.

I used to look at the Atlas a lot as a child, not to mention I play Risk whenever I get the chance, so at the very least, I know where Argentina is.

We don't get it too much, but youtube is mean about it sometimes as are some other sites, mostly streaming sites. ^.^;;

loooool Come onnnnnnn, igloos in Canada?? Some people.... XD And lol at USA owning Canada. Not yet, not quite yet. :P

Ah yes, youtube has gotten a bit annoying about that lately. Official channels suffer it, though, not so much unofficial ones. Mostly all streaming sites forbid my country nowadays. Veoh I think allows it still, for some things, but it's an annoying site. -_-

(ooc)

lol igloos are only the tip of it too... the ones who think they're so smart (but aren't) like to remark on permafrost and how we don't get cable, or internet, etc. XD

That Goodreads site you mentioned Tahiel, awesome o.o I've joined it XD
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

BAH! Silly people. xD I had a friend that was playing on xbox live and started telling people how his xbox was made out of snow as well as his TV and Computer and shiz xD Proceeded to say we rode polar bears and dog sleds to school. Sooooo freaking funny xD
    Last edited by Lumine; 07-22-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Haha that would be hilarious

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

lol, but yes goodreads is awesome <3

And I hate VEVO on youtube. it's the meanest channel everrrr D;

Believe it or not, Even in the U.S. we get those can not be displayed in your country messages *so says the person who browses bbc and world news sites >.>* Ha ha I was thoroughly irked at not being able to view the Doctor Who content >.<. But..But I wanna live in an igloo!! I just live in florida where I either get 'you mean by Disney (which is like a 5 hr drive from me >.<) or 'aren't you afraid of being eaten by a crocodile?' Ha Ha Ha gotta love failed stereotypes.
    If you want any books, Tahiel, you should let me know. I donate to my library all the time and totally wouldn't mind sending you brand new books if you payed for the shipping. Ha ha birthday guy says I am vegging out on my computer too much atm, see ya later!

lol Have fun!

Tigerkytti: Haha, yus it is! Do add me if you join. <3 And yeah somee people are weird like that. XDD

Lumine: lol at your friend. XD And yes, Vevo is evil.

Aerion: Really? I thought you were spared, since most things "come from" there, haha. I did too wanted to see Doctor Who.... and like 1000 other series. Boo. lol
    And yay, books! I may take you up on that! *v* I'm always looking for sci-fi/fantasy books to read~

(ooc)

Added ya Tahiel^^

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

Yay!
    You guys are quick adding books! lol

(ooc)

lol it helps when you have the majority of them sitting on a bookshelf nearby XD Although there's still tons I can't remember anymore since I don't own them. (Used to read a novel within 2-3 days when I was regularly reading)

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

lol Yeah I have some that I haven't been able to add for the same reason- or I did remember them but they aren't in the DB and I don't have the copies anymore. *sigh* Or I'll be suddenly browsing someone's books and be like "Oh hey, I read this!" lol

(ooc)

They didn't have one of my all time favorite quirky books. Ha ha but then I looked that book up on amazon and saw the paper back is selling for like $70. >.> I actually looked at my ragged old paper back and half pondered trying to sell it then said 'nu uh'.

They didn't have any of my philosophy books D; which saddens mee. But I can't complain.

lol I was totally surprised when I found out that they have my book on Magickal Creatures and my book on Celtic Gods and Goddesses... I should see if they have the Magical Almanacs, or even my book on Palmistry XD

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

I'll never catch up on my 'read' list, ever. I discovered they have menga. I have literally thousands of menga titles on my book shelves (two 6 shelf cases double stacked plus three or four boxes in the closet all menga).

Holy frikkin wows lol I only have one bookshelf... it's crammed full of books (mostly Piers Anthony) and the rest of mine are in boxes since I have no more room out for them lol But only one actual shelf is taken up by manga, haven't really ever been able to afford to get more.

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a librarian in status on the site to add new books- so you can add any books they don't have.

I kind of hate that they have mangas to be honest- <_< I mean, I believe we definitely need a site like that for manga (that isn't myaimelist XD), but I don't really fancy them being in Goodreads. (They may be book format but they're still comic books to me, which =/= novels/books).
    Which is why you won't see any of my manga there. lol I feel it's just clutter to my "real" read list. XD
    I'm not even sure they're officially allowed. XDDD (I'm a librarian there, but I only deal with adding covers to books and editing some wrongly placed info when I know it).

I used to have two bookcases stacked double row of manga myself, I'm sure it was 100+ different titles. Right now I managed to downsize it to one double-stacked 5-shelf unit. XD
    I kind of had to stop buying them in order to buy my dolls. XDDD

(ooc)

ha ha I have ten book shelves, all from the good will and more or less halving the area of my living room and kitchen lol. I get books and menga as gifts all the time and collect them from library sales too. I'm a huge bibliophile lol.

hmm and as for menga being unequal to books, I would have to argue that. Although much menga is 'popcorn' quality, so are most if not all romance books. On the other hand there are many graphic novels/menga with intense, wonderful stories such as the Sandman series, or the Battle Royal series, not to mention the Elf Quest books and their whole world and mythos. Just my opinion, but I feel all graphic novels and menga and the like have as much right to be included as romance novels and other 'light' reading. Also, libraries, at least where I live, carry menga and comics as well, so doesn't the net reflect the real world?
    Last edited by Aerion; 07-22-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Holy wow, I have to say you are really quite lucky lmao shelving is expensive here, even second hand and I've not seen a library sales in years upon years. I used to get books as gifts, but I rarely even get gifts anymore so yeah lol and unfortunately lost at least half of my book collection in a fire... Mostly books I had gotten when fairly young, but it was a lot as I had the entire babysitters club series at the time and most of the Sweet Valley High. *shakes head* teaches me to leave any of my things with anyone else x.x

The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti