Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood of Value

Blood of Value

The entire banquet hall was full of life and chatter. Ladies with beautiful dresses of the latest designs decorated the hall better than any flowers and gentlemen with tailored suits, that fit them like a glove, gladly kept them company while gentle sounds of a live orchestra provided a soothing background. The whole room gave off a feeling of wealth, power and intrigue. But of course, it was a party in honor of someone very special. Surprisingly though, the honor guest was still kept a secret, which begged the impression of him being someone of great rank. Suspense and secrecy gave birth to gossip and speculation, which was only natural, especially in huge gatherings, such as this. It wasn't very often, that the whole clan would be summoned like that, so it was a great opportunity to mingle and make connections.

Under different circumstances, maybe Selene would have enjoyed the gathering. Even though the whole clan was invited, her presence was obviously less than pleasant to most. Despite that, she stood proudly amongst the guests, which was also part of the reason everyone blatantly ignored the woman. Selene didn't mind the situation in the slightest, taking a glass of champagne from a passing by waiter, she retreated a little closer to the shadows. The hall was illuminated by one brilliant and huge chandelier, which provided with just enough light not to be too bright and still left room for dim corners for those who fancied it. As she slowly walked, her mind worked leisurely to try and figure why was she even invited.

Legendary Adventurer BurningSkylines's Avatar
    Alexander walked out onto the platform which towered over the ballroom. He searched over everyone and found who he was looking for, Selene. He frowned at people's lack of attention towards her. He fixed his suit and popped in his cufflinks, walking through the back way onto the stage. He grabbed the microphone and grinned. "Good evening everyone, I'm glad you all could come to my party. Now you may not know the reason of why I invited everyone from all the packs in a twenty mile radius. I wanted to let everyone know...I found my mate."

Gasps and murmurs erupted among the crowd. It took him over five years to find his mate and he wanted to let everyone know who she was and that she was his. He looked over at Selene and smiled, looking right into her eyes. "You guys may be curious as to how she is and I am going to tell you she is right here in this room. Her name is Selene." He said into the microphone with a wide smirk. She was breath-taking, beautiful, gorgeous, she was simply beauty itself. He stepped down off of the stage and made his way through the parting crowd, going to find her once again.
    Last edited by BurningSkylines; 11-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

As the name flew out his lips, the whole crowd, including Selene, froze in horror and disbelief. "Seriously? That half breed? How could this have happened? What is Lord Alexander thinking?! There are plenty of more worthy candidates... Why that insect?" Murmurs as well as silent thoughts waved through the parting crowd and Selene's fingers tightened around the stem of her champagne glass. Just this once, she could not argue or dispute the collective thoughts of the coven. Nevertheless there he was, coming down from the platform and towards her through the parting crowd. If this was a joke, it was indeed a very cruel one, she thought and her lower lip trembled just for a split second, before she set her eyes on the approaching man. Her body as tense and straight as a bowstring.

"This is absurd!" someone in the crowd burst. "Please give us an explanation, My Lord," another voice rang out and murmurs of agreement washed through.

'My my... The young Lord will have a lot of trouble from now onwards,' Michael, Alexander's personal servant thought to himself. Michael was tall and dark and always followed his master as a shadow. However, just like a shadow, he couldn't do anything that was against his lord's wishes.

Once Alexander was close enough, Selene finally broke out of her paralysis and fell into a deep bow with her head low. 'This must be a mistake...'

Alexander looked around the people and growled loudly, shutting them all up as he turned to face the crowd. "This is my mate! You better learn to respect her or forget all the alliances you all are asking for from me and my pack." He said quieting everyone to the point where they all looked at him wide eyed. He turned back towards Selene and smiled down at her, taking her hand. "Selene I know this is sudden and you might be a bit dazed but please do you accept me as your mate?" He asked, looking at her with hopeful eyes.

A few gasps erupted in the crowd of people but everyone was still shocked or just rolled their eyes. He looked at her and awaited her answer holding her hand gently. "Please don't reject me...if you need time to think about it or you want to talk we can go to my study to speak in private." He whispered so that she could only hear.

The growl shook everyone. Who in the world could have expected such a thing to happen? Yet, no one had a right to refute the Lord's will and no one in their right mind wanted to make an enemy out of him. Swallowing all of their dissatisfaction, the quests stopped to make a ruckus, just their eyes were shooting daggers at the woman. Selene paid little attention to that though, her main concern was the leader of the clan, standing right in front of her. As Alexander took her hand, she raised her head up and her eyes peered into his. She was full of doubts and distrust, but the anticipation of her response weighed heavy on her shoulders.

"I..." Selene parted her lips in attempt to refuse the man, but just then her eyes mer eyes met Michael's. His ruby red eyes shone like those of a Cerberus, sending immediate fear. "I bow to your wishes, Lord Alexander," she whispered back, sending another wave of dissatisfied murmurs, yet they never rose above that. It was way too risky to temper with the Lord and they knew better.

Seemingly satisfied with Selene's answer, Michael approached Alexander discretely and spoke in a low voice that only he could hear. "Would you wish to stay with your mate for the remaining of the evening or shall I take her to your quarters?"

Alexander thought for a bit and then looked at her, wondering why it seemed like his world would end if she didn't accept him. His wolf was getting a bit pissed off at how everyone was practically dissing his mate. He heard her response but knew she did't actually mean it. He turned towards Micheal and shrugged a bit. "I don't know what would be the best choice? I don't think she wants to accept me as her mate she just feels pressure." He mumbled back to Micheal, frowning deeply he was very displeased and knew he would probably take out some anger on the servants not meaning to of course. He just has a really bad temper at moments like this when things are really important. He needed her to actually be able to have an heir and without her he can't have kids to take his spot as Alpha.

"...It would seem more wise to keep her away from public, for the time being," Michel suggested. His eyes were scanning the guests every so often, and he knew well, that some had less than good intentions towards Selene now that she suddenly became chosen by the Lord. At least they were hiding their fangs for the time being, but it was better not to push one's luck. "Or maybe I should take her to the guest room?" he offered an alternative.

Alexander ran his hand through his hair and groaned, walking towards the door. "Can you bring her to my study? I want to have a word with her before you bring her to the guest room." He said firmly, growling softy since he didn't expect this night to be like this. She was supposed to come to him and accept him enough to want to get to know him. He sat down in his study and looked around for things that he could use while Michel was busy persuading her to come talk to him. Did she not want to be with someone like e? Was I separating her from someone? He sighed and laid his head down on the desk, groaning in discomfort. If that's the case I am a asshole

As Alexander left, the guests parted in front of him just like they did when he first walked towards Selene. Their heads bowed slightly as he passed and the path closed. Selene watched his back for a while, before Michael blocked her view.
    "Lady Selene, please allow me to show you the way to the lord's study. He's expecting you," he said bowing in front of her.
    "Lady... That's so generous of you," she responded in a low and bitter voice. Still she nodded, deciding to follow the man as her senses screamed danger from all around her.
    "Not at all," Michael replied and began leading her through the crowd. "No matter your background, Lord Alexander chose you and I, as a servant, have no right to doubt his decisions."
    His voice was cold as ice and offered no support. Of course, Selene didn't expect anything more, given the situation. The man wasn't pleased with his Master's choice, but then he had no say in that. But did she?

Michael managed to lead her through the hall of guests and up the flight of stairs towards Alexander's study. On the way, the woman kept glancing sideways as if looking for a way out and Michael felt that intention like a predator. As soon as they were far enough from the hall, he made a sudden stop, making Selene bump into him.
    "My apo..." she started after a brief stumble, but Michael caught her by the wrist, steadying her.
    "The study is right behind this door," he said, his steel grip making it clear, that she had no right to retreat.
    "Thank you," Selene whispered. The message was crystal clear. She fixed her dress a little before knocking on the door and awaiting for an answer. Once she got an answer, the woman opened the door and tentatively stepped inside.
    "My Lord," she bowed again and heard the door behind her being closed by Michael.

Alexander looked up at Selene as she stepped into the study, studying her with his eyes he stood up and walked towards her. He took her hand in his and kissed it gently. "Listen, I know this is a shock but please consider accepting me actually as your mate. I know you only agreed because of Micheal, he does have a mean stare that could scare someone out of their boots." He mumbled, pulling away from her a bit. "I'm sorry that I had to say that in front of the crowd of people but i wanted everyone to know that I wanted you to be mine and only mine/"

As he took her hand, Selene stood up from her bow. So he was perceptive enough to notice, that she didn't agree willingly, but what did that change? Maybe it did make a difference to a point, after all, he seemed to have her interest in mind as well, otherwise the man wouldn't apologize. It was indeed rare for someone of his standing to speak so freely to a person of low heritage. And even proclaiming her as his mate... This seemed unbelievable enough to cast a shadow of suspicion on Alexander's true motives. The thought made her brow crease ever so lightly, but only for a split moment before it went back to normal.

"I have no right to question your decisions, Milord," she spoke in a low voice, retracting her hand as he pulled away. "But I must insist on knowing your intentions."
    It was hardly believable, that he just suddenly fell for her. Vampires were a strict community and they didn't make unions lightly, especially ones that did not benefit the clan in any way. Selene was a halfbreed, with only a fraction of vampire blood in her veins. Albeit strong, it didn't even bring her enough recognition withing the clan. For the longest of times she thought of how to turn the tables, but this twist was more than she could even imagine.

Alexander looked at her and sat down in his chair, smiling. "Well..why wouldn't I choose you? Your beautiful and fro what I hear you do a lot of chores and your very helpful. I think that you really good person by one glance at you and plus I know your pack doesn't treat you as well as they should and I sort of feel bad and want to protect you..I' sorry. I can't help but feel pity but I do know that as soon as I saw you at last years party I couldn't keep my eyes off you and I wanted you to be mine. One if your mine you'll be treated way better and two you'll be loved by me. I wanted you hear because it would benefit both you and me."

'Chores...' she almost sweatdropped, but managed not to grimace to that. Did the man even know the meaning of the word? Everything he said, was empty and superficial, and held absolutely no base... What's more, she just suddenly felt like she was being treated like an abandoned kitten, which made it even worse. Though her entire being opposed to most of the things he said, there was one thing that was true... She could definitely befit from this union, even though his whole image of her was idealized.
    Sighing softly, Selene couldn't believe that the love struck idiot in front of her, was actually an almighty clan leader. Hopefully, that would work to her advantage.
    "I understand," she spoke finally. "In that case, I will bow to My Lord's wishes," she said with a polite nod.

The party downstairs still continued, despite the tension in the air. The remaining guests were probably still expecting to see the star of the evening for various reasons and hopes they harbored.

Alexander looked at her and nodded, walking out of the room. "Micheal will show you to your room." He walked out, passing by Micheal. "Make sure she doesn't roam around or do anything weird, I don't want another incident like last time." He mumbled referring to another person he had let stay at his house, that person was a traitor and Alexander had to kill him before exchanging confidential information. "She may have good qualities for a Luna but I don't really trust her yet, keep an eye on her." He walked back out to the party, yawning. Man this is boring...

Michael stood just outside the door like a loyal guard dog. He just nodded to the orders issued my his master, "Understood." He couldn't help but grin inwardly. The Lord, that seemed so meek in front of that woman, was actually a very strict leader. It would do her good not to witness that side of him... at least for now. For various reasons.
    After Alexander disappeared from sight, Michael entered the room abruptly, almost startling Selene and earning a harsh glare from the woman. Yet the servant remained unfazed.
    "Allow me to show you to your room," he said with a small bow. Reluctantly, Selene nodded and followed Michael out. The man lead her towards the further end of the building and into a room that was next to Alexander's, though he did not inform her of the fact.
    "This way," he said, opening the door to the room for her and as soon as Selene walked in, he closed and locked the door.
    "Hey!" she turned around only to instantly slam against the door. "Hey, let me out! How dare you...!" she attempted to cause a ruckus, but the walls were thick and barely any sound escaped the room.

"You stay there, Lady Selene, we wouldn't want you wandering around and getting lost, now would we?" Michael spoke with little concern in his voice. He didn't linger in front of her room though. Instead, he quickly returned to the party hall where a group of people were already surrounding Alexander. A fair share of them were women, of course. All of them shocked at his declaration and more or less subtly attempting to change his mind on the matter.
    "I placed her in the room... As ordered," he said in a low voice so only Alexander could hear him.

Alexander looked at all the women and sighed a bit. Why did I choose that woman over all these other women they are just as or more beautiful then her so what made her stand out that day? He thought to himself before jumping away from one of the girls who had poked him. He laughed an bit and shook of his thoughts, getting back into the conversation. "Well I chose her just so that if know I would have a good mother to my kids. I need them to have my attitude and authority and to have the touch of gentleness only a good mother can give." He said. "I wouldn't need to stay with her if I found someone much better but so far I haven't." The women around him glared at each other as they began to list thins they had done for their packs which would make them a good mother type.

At that moment he saw Micheal out of the corner of his eyes. He turned and listened to what he had to say, nodding a bit. "When I leave for my trip I want you to try and woo her with gifts saying their from me of course, her pack will offer us some of their territory and as will I for neutral ground. We have to have her so I can go to where I need to. If she continues to be rebellious even after the wooing call me back immediately. I need her to want to stay here because my father will be arriving in a months time to see if I have a suitable bride if not, you know the consequence." He said, referring to the witch his mom wanted him to marry. She was literally a witch she was pretty, but if you saw her true form you'd throw up. She was very nice to people she wanted things from but once she got what she wanted she would be very mean to them that's why Alexander didn't like her. She killed a woman to tie up loose ends and used her magic to cover the murder up. I mean yes Alexander did kill a few before, but only because he knew the deaths of millions of people were worth more than just those who he had killed only for trying to betray their kind and him. Alexander didn't take well with people who were traitors, liars, cheaters, or anything related to the meanings of those words. He was a gentle and nice man as long as you don't cross him.
    Last edited by BurningSkylines; 12-12-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Michael's eyebrow twitched at the order. What land could that small family possibly possess for the lord to be so insistent on having it. But he was in no position to question his master. What bothered him way more, was that he would have to attend to the 'lady' and even woo her in the name of his lord. That last bit was why he couldn't oppose the order. But the woman was the lowest possible rank... Even if anyone, even him, tried to threaten her in any way, they could. In anyone's eyes, she was hardly more than a lowly foot soldier, an easily disposable chess piece. 'A pawn,' Michael thought bitterly. A pawn, that somehow managed to reach the other end of the board and is about to become a queen.

"Very well, My Lord," he bowed lightly and after asking if there were any more orders, he retreated back to the shadows to take care of things behind the scenes.

As time went, the guests eventually started leaving one by one. Some were pacified by Alexander, some were not, but kept it to themselves and the rest of the night ran without any trouble.

Meanwhile, the upstairs hall was full of dull pounding sounds and a weak noise.
    "Let me out!" Selene was frantically pounding on the door, but the more time passed by, the more she realized how pointless and fruitless her efforts were. She only exhausted a big part of her stamina.
    "Please... Let me out..." the words finally became just a little more than a wail. She finally gave up and slid down on the floor, with her back against the door. The dress pooled messily around her legs and her hair enveloped her shoulders, that were now hunched in a loss of what to do.

Alexander went to his study and sighed, opening up one of the many few note books his mother left him after their disappearance. He read on about how his father constantly beat his other and never let her leave the house. She had an affair with one of the butlers in the castle they lived in. Years later she continued with one entry saying she was running away, the place she wanted to go was a small place which was on the northern side of the land her husband owned. With a bit of research Alexander discovered that the place where his mother went with her lover was in the land that Selena's pack now owned. With this mating he would be able to further his search for his mother.

He hid the notebook and walked out of the study, going to his room. He heard her pounding and opened the door, looking at the girl. "Calm down." He grinned, sitting down in one of the chairs as he shut the door, locking it once he was inside the room.

Selene jolted when Alexander suddenly entered the room. Was the party over? She thought mildly as her eyes watched what the man was doing. The click of the door locking somehow felt ten times louder to her, than it really was.
    As Alexander sat down, Selene contemplated to do the same. She shuffled some and gathered the hems of her dress. Carefully, not to step on them, she stood up only then allowing the hems to fall down. As she looked at the man, Selene subconsciously crossed her arms over her chest.
    "I don't assume you came here to let me out?" she asked, knowing it was a silly question, assuming he already locked the door. "May I help you somehow?"

Alexander chuckled to himself and stood up. "Listen, Selene...you can help me..by fixing your attitude. Second no has hurt you or anything, you seemed like you'd leave if I let you roam alone so I told Micheal to bring you to a room. You need to calm down before I let you out, would you rather go back to your pack, where they beat the shit out of you, eh?" He asked, narrowing his eyes. "That's better than being trapped in a room for fifteen minutes? I didn't think so..now when I leave you can scream all you want and act like this isn't better than the conditions you have as the lowest ranking or you can calm the hell down and allow me to treat you like a fucking human being rather than some angry child that needs to be sent to a corner." He said, sitting back down on the chair. "Now, are you hungry?" He asked her.

The woman felt astonished. What ever happened to the love-struck idiot he was just a little while ago? It was like a complete turn-around. Apparently, she was way off the mark before. This man in front of her seemed... strong somehow. Suddenly, Selene realized she was gaping and wide eyed. Quickly fixing her facial expression, she mumbled under her breath, "They don't do that..." even so, her voice was weak and slightly shaken as she said it. Hardly convincing at all, but the young woman wasn't expecting him to lick her wounds.
    Gathering the little courage she had left, Selene spoke a little louder now.
    "...I apologize for my rude behavior earlier today, My Lord," she said dropping her arms to her sides and bowing lightly. Her cheeks got a pale color of pink, mostly from embarrassment that started to rise after being called an angry child...
    "I am-- a little hungry," she admitted finally, while avoiding a direct eye contact.

Alexander looked at her and nodded, grabbing her hand. "Come on, what do you want to eat? I have AB, A, B, O-, O+, ad others what type blood do you want?" He asked, looking at her as he unlocked the door. "And if you run I won't hesitate to lock you back in that room with no blood for two more days." He sighed a bit. "I'm really a nice guy I just have a temper and I have a point, if you pass that point I snap so just don't pass my point and your life here will be very enjoyable, I sent Micheal to get you some clothes and things for your room." He lead her to the kitchen which was now clean. "You want blood or food..or both?"

She gasped by the sudden contact and almost automatically tried to pull back, but he was so fast to get on his feet and start walking, that instead of pulling back, she was tugged instead. Scrambling after him, Selene raised her dress a little to avoid stepping and tumbling over. She frowned slightly at the mention of Michael's name. Even now, the man was probably not too far, just in case Alexander needed something. While it was understandable, she couldn't help but feel a certain amount of hostility towards that person.

Once in the kitchen, Selene stopped a moment to think. She didn't need blood just yet, so normal food sounded like a better idea. What's more, she didn't really want to think where the supply came from...
    "I'll just have some tea with something..." it was quite late already, something soothing might be good. "... Will you be drinking too, My Lord?" she asked as she turned towards the stove.

Alexander laughed a bit. "Selene, call me Alex or Alexander and yes I will be drinking as well." He walked to the stove, putting the tea pot on the stove. He turned the heat on and then grabbed a small pie out of the fridge. He placed it down on the counter and sliced a small slice for them both and handed one to her and kept one for himself. "Sorry..at the moment that's all I have considering all the food was taken with the guests. So...how are you?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"... Very well then, Alexander," she managed. The name rolled beautifully off the tip of her tongue, so much that she suddenly felt surprised and a little embarrassed. It felt weird and unusual for many reasons, one of them was the gap between her and Alexander's social standing. Usually, no one would dare to call him that casually, unless close or given a permission, but... he did give her one, didn't he?

Before Selene could properly react, Alexander had already passed by her to make the tea. She wanted to protest, but decided against it. For once, she acted docile and sat in front of the counter, where Alexander served a slice of pie. Served... There were just so many things wrong with this picture, starting with him even knowing how to operate the kitchen. The surprise clearly reflected in her eyes, but there was something else too... Selene felt a bit flattered and a small smile bloomed.

"That's quite alright," she nodded when he spoke about the food, but the question confused her. "I-- I am fine, thank you for your concern." And really, considering the circumstances, she should act like the happiest woman in the clan. After all, who doesn't want to marry a rich man of high standing? This should be an ideal situation for her, yet Selene still felt puzzled.
    Quickly, she chased the shadowy expression away and smiled reassuringly. "I'm fine. Really. But.. can I ask something?"
    She paused, waiting for a reply, before continuing with her question.
    "You said you want me to marry you... So what now?" she asked, tentatively glancing from under her eyelashes. The most logical thing to do, was to start some sort of wedding preparations. But when?

Alexander looked at her and smiled. "Well at this very moment we are beginning what I like the call phase two. This phase is where I get you to actually like me and get used to talking to mas if I were a friend rather than a wealthy all known high standing vampire. I mean I do want respect but I also want to have a friendship with you I want to be able to have fun with you while we prepare our selves to be married."

He sighed a bit. "I don't want to rush you into a marriage where you and I both are going to be unhappy. I see myself a someone who is easy going and pretty playful but at times I can get very serious and I want to make sure that you too will be on good terms with me when we get married. I would hate to keep you prisoner here and I would hate to marry you against your will that's just in humane, so I want us to bond a bit before planning anything future wise."

Selene just stopped and stared at him. She tried her best to see through his motives, but whatever she came up with, seemed to just crumble. If it was some sort of marriage for convenience, then he'd try to have it as soon as possible, no? But instead he just claimed he wanted to get to know each other better. This whole mess just seemed to get more confusing by the minute. Shaking her head some, she decided to stop thinking about it. Maybe she was just overthinking things. At any rate, it was quite clear, that she won't find anything out as long as he didn't want her to. However irritating that may be. Despite all that, she couldn't help but feel flattered, that he chose her over many other well bred ladies.

"That's very thoughtful of you, My... Alexander," she quickly corrected herself with a tiny blush creeping on her cheeks. "However, will I be allowed to go back home to let my household know about this arrangement?" She felt, that no one would really miss her back home, but it still, she felt it would be the right thing to do. "If that wouldn't cause too much trouble..."

Alexander grinned a bit as she corrected herself from saying what he told her not to. "Well, you can go wherever you like the only rules I have for you are to night sleep around or flirt with any male or anyone for that matter and to always tell me where your going, just in case something happens. And never keep secrets. Other than that you have complete freedom to do whatever you want." He said, yawning a bit. "And Micheal is a bit protective, so maybe you will want to come home before dark..or he'll come looking for you." He said, eating some of the pie.

What he said was... similar to what she imagined a boyfriend would say. It wasn't exactly very surprising, but coming from his lips, it still was hard to believe. The note about Michael though, made a small shover run down her spine. She knew, that the last thing she wanted, was to get in Michael's black list... Or an even darker one, since she wasn't favored by him in the first place. Selene didn't even want to imagine what it would be like if the man got angry... Still, before nodding in agreement, the woman bit her lower lip hesitantly and asked, "Do these rules apply to you too?"
    Noticing the yawn though, she hurried up a bit to drink her tea up and eat the piece of pie he sat in front of her a while ago.

Alexander looked at her and tilted his head a bit. "Well, if you like me well enough to feel jealous when women come up to me then yes they apply to me, but if you don't want to give it a try then we don't have to follow these rules and we don't have to marry. But if you want to give this a try and let us have and develop a relationship and feelings then we can both have these rules apply to each other." He said, putting her sink as well as his in the sink, washing them.