Login to your account

Thread: I need a mentor

Background NPC

I need a mentor

I would really like a mentor. I have had one person tell me that I'm confusing with my rps and what not, which I thought that she was enjoying the rp since she never said anything like this before. I need help with working on making my posts really descriptive, like for the surrounding area when entering a new place and little motions like when a character puts there hand in their pocket type of thing. We can start up an rp and tell me what I can fix and what not to make it better. So yeah. I have a few plots in mind. I would really like to make my characters come to life and have a defined personality and work on my posts.

I'll help ya, if you're okay taking things to google documents. Then I can at least leave notes and comments and properly critique.

By the way hello my name is Strude and I've been RPing (not only online thread based but many other forms) for 13 years. ^___^' So I believe myself versed enough to teach you a trick or two.

Oh and if you're really brave (and I do hope you are) we can take our discussions on RP to vent or mumble. Golly gosh I love a good conversation about roleplay. > w <

Background NPC
    Alright!

Yeah, I think I'm really brave enough to do that! ^^

I have an idea for an rp, well a few actually.

Here's the one I'm really craving:

A little wolf boy, who's blind, is saved by an assassin, who takes the boy in because of how attached they become to one an other, mainly due to the boy being attached to the assassin. The assassin kills the boy's master who abused him and used him to make money. He decides to take care of the boy and they travel together to find where he came from since animal people do not exist in the world.

I have plenty more if you don't like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Alright!

Yeah, I think I'm really brave enough to do that! ^^

I have an idea for an rp, well a few actually.

Here's the one I'm really craving:

A little wolf boy, who's blind, is saved by an assassin, who takes the boy in because of how attached they become to one an other, mainly due to the boy being attached to the assassin. The assassin kills the boy's master who abused him and used him to make money. He decides to take care of the boy and they travel together to find where he came from since animal people do not exist in the world.

I have plenty more if you don't like that one.
    I am okay with that concept, I assume you want to be the little boy?

And when can you get onto vent (If you can tonight that would be awesome I have a few points to make right off the bat! >D)

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Just a note I think we should talk RP first before we start RPing. Just to lay down some ground work and see if what I have to offer is something you even want to hear.

Background NPC
    Yeah! ^^

I'm on all day. It's Saturday and I have nothing to do lol!

Ok, umm....Well I was thinking that the boy is the only one who's a wolf in that world. But there's a world that's filled with them and they can use magic and what not. How do you feel about yaoi? I'm going to make more characters and what not to prolong the story either with or without romance.

Hey my car broke down yesterday, I need to drop my keys off to the tow truck and see the mechanic quickly. So I'll be back in an 2hrs (possibly sooner) if you want to get on ventrilo when I get back and chat that would be totally awesome. Turns out our D&D session was cancelled for today so I have a free evening. ^_____^

Background NPC
    I don't know what ventrilo is. Ok. I will set up the thread though. I will create my character and what not.

Ventrilo is a VoIP communication software, which is a long way of saying being able to talk to each other over mic.

[Download] the Client Program here, it's completely free.
    I PM'd you the information to log onto my server already.

I wanted to give you some advice before I even bother roleplaying with you, because frankly roleplaying with me isn't going to help you. However, I have some tips, tricks and pointers to give you that WILL help you out right away. So I wanted to get on ventrilo and give you those tips.

However, if you're uncomfortable getting on vent I can make a video or voice recording too.

Hopefully this is done being confirmed on youtube when you see it.
    This is just a quick screen capture of my screen and how to setup and log into vent.
    Quick and easy.
    http://youtu.be/-2mUZNukCpc

Background NPC
    I don't have a way to chat with you unless I can type. I don't have a mic or anything to chat with.

I'm not uncomfortable, I just don't have a way to chat with you. Sorry if I'm making this difficult.

There is a text chat system too, I can talk and you can type. It just easier and faster to make my voice by talking than typing.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Since n type I've already make four paragraphs and I'm still not done! O A O

Background NPC
    Oh ok! It won't slow down my computer or anything will it? I don't really download anything and I just want to make sure that it won't freeze my computer or make it run slow or anything.

Nope it should be fine, unless you have a shit computer . . . but if you have something that runs Windows 7 and up, you'll be just fine.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Shoot anything above 95 will run vent. It's not a particularly demanding program, it was designed to voice chat while gaming so it won't demand much of your CPU.

Background NPC
    Ok, I'm downloading it now.

Awesome, it beats reading this [my notes], which are still rather lacking and need to be refined . . . and also completed! >D But yeah, those are some point I wanted to talk about in general . . . since they're things you don't learn from roleplaying, you gotta be told . . . or figure it out on your own through terrible trial and error like me (gosh I was a total fucking retard back in the day).

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

//mentoring hardcore bsns! >D

Background NPC
    Yeah, I know when I first started roleplaying, I was TERRIBLE! I had no idea what I was doing! I reread some of the rps that I did and I was terrible! I have gotten A LOT better, or at least I think I did. Like you can tell that I was a noob.

Ok I heard you, I'm still trying to figure out how to type on it lol. And everytime I click, it makes a sound, how do I get rid of that?

If you can get back on and I don't respond it's because I stepped away to get a bandaid I just cut my finger open.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Anyway, I guess on the description front (because I am clearly inarticulate today even with notes). It's a matter of figuring out what is important, what is relevant, and using OOC as the tool it was meant to be. As a roleplay you have an audience of one to maybe six people, and you have the ability to convey information to your extremely limited audience that no other writer has. Use the OOC to your advantage if you can forgo a particularly dense description by saying something in OOC then use it. Saves you and your partner / or group time . . . plus in a group setting it means people are less likely to waste time fixating on your description and actually roleplaying / interacting . . . which is the good stuff.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

This isn't to say you won't describe thing, you will and a little flurish here and there isn't bad . . . but less is more, use the dense stuff sparingly.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I am AFK from my comp at the moment, if you do come back. There is an update on my car I'm going to see about. Might need to leave to grab dinner too.

If you're stlll good about talking RP I'd love to chat / discuss . . .

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

MAY CAR IS OKAY! I'm going to go pickup that bitch and be back in a little bit.

And I do have stuff to say about:

"little motions like when a character puts there hand in their pocket type of thing." <--- Favorite this to talk about / roleplay / develop because people ain't do this right! >D

and this one: "I would really like to make my characters come to life and have a defined personality and work on my posts." <--- Goes in tandem with the little motions! >D