Login to your account

Thread: OOC : Vae Victis

I can't be the only one looking at the name 'Prima Titus' and thinking 'prime tits'.
    Last edited by enkerzed; 07-21-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Renamed the planet to 'Cadeca' and changed the length of the war from fifty to thirty.
    Last edited by enkerzed; 08-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.

About the Slayer Gear, it's actually inferior to conventional power armour in terms of protection and coverage. This is because the focus is on sheer mobility, to allow a Raider to keep up with a dragon's own speed and agility, which is considerable. The Gear includes the armour, jet pack, an energy shield and the Buster Gun. Overall, Slayer Gear equipment is especially vulnerable to wear and tear, due to the nature of a Raider's job and the number of mechanisms in place to ensure maximum performance.

The armour is made up of three layers. The first is a full body suit of artificial muscle fibres, called the nerve suit, which connects to a Raider's central nervous system through access ports along the sides of their spine (every Raider has these and itches there are a pain in the arse to scratch). The suit is tough, yet flexible and magnifies the wearer's strength to the point that it's possible to lift several tons of weight, or survive massive forces of impact. However, the most important function of this suit is to provide a neural link to the rest of the Gear, so activation of the shield, communication system, jet boosters and everything else can be controlled at a thought.

The second layer of the armour is the harness which is where the battery, jet pack, armour plating, gauntlets, jump boots, communications system and so forth can be mounted. It also serves as a link between the energy supply and everything else that requires power, including the muscle suit.

The third layer of the armour is all the aforementioned extras; battery, jump pack and etc.

About the energy shield, it works by projecting a forward-directional force field of hard light that's wide enough to cover the wearer's body, and strong enough to withstand a plasma beam. It can also be used to 'bash' a dragon, by getting close enough to activate the shield and break it on contact, releasing a powerful wave of kinetic energy. This is a feature of all shield technology, which draws on a limited reserve of power for a last ditch attempt to deflect a projectile in case the hard light barrier fails. In the Slayer Gear's case, the 'repulsion' can actually be used at will and shares a common energy source with the shield, so it can be used more times than usual, at the cost of battery life. The shield can either be held loosely by the handle or magnetically attached to the back of the hand, but the handle must still be held as it is where the button for activation is situated. It is also where the shield is linked to the power supply through a port in the palm of the gauntlet.

About the Buster Gun, it's a plasma weapon that links to the Slayer Gear's power supply through a cable in the stock of the gun, which can be plugged into the forearm of the weapon hand gauntlet. It has a safety switch and two firing modes, low and high power. Low power shots are single bolts of plasma that are useless for attacking dragons. They're more effective against humans or predatory alien wildlife, of which there are quite a few on Cadeca. A high power shot is a single powerful beam of plasma that requires a cool-down period before being able to fire again. It is strictly only meant to be used for delivering the coup de grace against a dragon, after using the Buster Gun's super steel bayonet to breach the skin over its sternum or stab into the eyes and fire. This is the only effective approach against dragons, as their armoured scales are able to withstand nukes and seemingly any other weaponry, so the trick is in targeting vulnerable spots with enough precision and firepower to kill.

The only allowable form of customization for any piece of the Slayer Gear is decoration, such as stencil writing or drawings on the armour plates. This is generally frowned upon as Slayer Gear equipment is not the property of the wearer, but it's as good as any other way of defeating boredom and expressing individuality. Other than that, it's very illegal to modify the equipment because the Gear is as optimized as possible to fight dragons, so the slightest change could do far more harm than good, which isn't good for the user, which isn't good for the team. In any case, every piece of the Slayer Gear must be exchanged for a fresh set after a deployment, or even after a single dragon encounter, so the equipment may change hands several times. The only exception is the nerve suit, which is tailor made for each Raider, but must still undergo regular maintenance. If it gets damaged seriously enough to warrant replacement, each Raider has a spare suit, and if that gets damaged as well, the Raider cannot deploy until one of the suits have been repaired.
    Last edited by enkerzed; 09-25-2013 at 05:46 PM.

I'll get to posting soon, I just need to catch up somewhere else and backtrack since I've missed a few posts. Am I the only one with 1 character? o.o' I'll make more if that's the case, don't like being the odd man left out.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.

You can make as many as you like, Alex, but don't feel like you HAVE to. Anyways, minor change to the Slayer Gear. Helmets ARE included and they'll look something like this. They're next to useless against a dragon's plasma beam attacks, but it'll keep a Raider's head safe enough from impact. In any case, their main purpose is to block out air rush so Raiders can talk to each other.

They attach to the neck of the nerve suit by clasping onto the communications suite (mic under the chin, speakers under the ears) and a cable under the back of the helmet which connects to the harness. They can be sealed airtight at a thought (neck of nerve suit stretches to close up gaps), but they're also easy to remove.

Air comes in through a mini life support unit in the back of the helmet, which recycles the wearer's breaths (CO2 -> O2) as well as providing air conditioning to keep the temperature cool. Alternatively, the helmet can simply be left unsealed or not worn at all, but when it's time to fight a dragon, no Raider should be without a helmet.

Sweet helmet.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.

literally just googled 'sci fi helmet' and it was one of the first things to show up.