Login to your account

Thread: Application Fad

Application Fad

I've been MIA for a while (pretty much six months) and, upon my return, I've noticed a new fad, profile applications. Now I'm used to reservations and profile skeleton formats but this application process is a bit interesting to me. Where exactly did this originate from and what are its pros and cons? Is this fad (I'm calling it a fad for lack of better terms) something that will stick around and become a usual part of the roleplay process?

I mean, I get the premise. A creator wants to get a feel for the character, the roleplayer, and his/her ability and availability. I see nothing wrong with that but, at the same time, I'm sure there are some negatives associated with this. As with everything, there's always one side and the other.

I guess I'm just curious as to what people think. Do you like this new step to the roleplay process? Or are you against it? Let's keep this discussion casual and lighthearted. Simply state your opinions (politely) and get a feel for how people view the step.

So yeah, let's discuss

My thoughts on it? I feel like it's a bit... well, of a barrier, especially for someone who doesn't know their availability. I feel it automatically disqualifies me from joining anything as my availability fluctuates far too often. One week I'm on 24/7 and the next, not at all. I totally get why this is important but I feel like there's more important aspects to a roleplay than how often someone can post. I don't know... I just feel like it's an unnecessary step. But that's just me. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, which is why I'm hoping to discuss this some.

But, like I said, I can see its practicality. It helps you determine how often someone will post and how responsive they will be. It's also a great way to test if people are following rules. And, as some point out, it saves people from making a profile for it to get declined.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I can safely say that, I started the trend on WTF (ha... I'm a trend-setter...).

When I used to role-play on Gaia, background checks (BGCs) were the norm. It allowed creators to screen for writers who didn't meet their expectations without having to put the individual through some hell in filling out an extensive and lengthy profile.

I started to use the application method (with Halcyon) because a) I didn't want to deal with the traditional profiles for large texts for clarity and b) I wanted to see character ideas before they took full-flight. I don't think it's fair to have people create a full profile and, at the end of it, be told it's not suitable or whatever. I didn't think to do this with Pentimento and, as such, I either had to suck it up and allow for unsuitable characters to continue in the game or flat-out ask the person to change x, y, and z factors. I learned from that mistake, obviously.

I'll assume that other people use the application method for more traditional reasons (i.e. screening players). I use it for a different purpose (although I do still use the BGC for screening purposes, this is just a bonus). If you look to the profiles in Halcyon, they aren't the typical/traditional profiles where people write extensively on a topic. They are short and survey-based.

Typically, the availability question isn't really a huge screener (it wasn't on Gaia, at least) and I don't use it as a way to "disqualify" people. Availability is a general ballpark figure for when you are likely to post. It gives the creator a way to gauge, roughly, when the cast will post as a whole, etc. I use it mainly for the timezone. I need to know what timezones I'm working with so that I can better pace the story/posting.

I would explain a bit more about various other benefits to the issue, but I have to get to class. ):

Edit: Phone. Excuse autocorrects. But, I wouldn't necessarily call this a fad. It's rather isolated and not widespread. It's more of an anomaly, really. (:

Last edited by joonsexual; 07-02-2013 at 08:17 PM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Though Jing started this trend on WTF, it's also popular on most RP boards. Some boards even require a screening/application process to even be able to apply to join the board. The concept and the process of an application to join an RP or board isn't new or even all that strange (it's been around for years and years and years).

As for how I feel . . . if you don't want to use it, don't use it for your game. It's a trend not a mandatory process in the setup of a game. I don't think this is something that is taking over games or is all that prevalent, nor do I feel it is the norm. It is something some people do and I think those people will likely continue to do it, and those disinterested in it won't do it.

As for it being a deterrent or barrier, that is the point. It is meant to screen players, the intention of the application is to see who is dedicated enough to read all the games information, do their research, and properly apply themselves to the game. Users who actually apply themselves, actually want to be part of the game, actually care about what they are creating won't have a problem with the application step. It ensures the right type of people are getting into the game. Instead of someone simply submitting a profile, that though looks good, aren't actually invested in the game enough to stick it through.

The application could be compared to the wrapper on a candy, you got to get it off before you get what is inside. You got to apply yourself to the game before you get to enjoy it.

I do not feel an application process is a barrier or deterrent in the slightest. I am confident in my abilities and my ability to apply myself to a game that it's just another step in the process. I take it as a challenge and an opportunity to show off.

If an application process deters someone or is a barrier then it is very likely the games environment is not an RP environment they'd be very comfortable playing in.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

You also mention how your availability is unpredictable, and "how often someone can post" isn't important to a game. Thing is maybe it is important to the game. Maybe the GM has a game setup and story that requires quick consecutive posts in order to play out properly. This is why knowing players availability is important to the GM.

Or maybe the GM simply wants a faster paced environment. Making sure the GM gets the right people for that environment is important. You don't want a slow player in a fast game, because they'll get written out and it hurts peoples feelings when they're written out. You don't want people applying themselves to a game where they can't even function, it isn't fair.
    Last edited by Strude; 07-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strude View Post
    You also mention how your availability is unpredictable, and "how often someone can post" isn't important to a game. Thing is maybe it is important to the game. Maybe the GM has a game setup and story that requires quick consecutive posts in order to play out properly. This is why knowing players availability is important to the GM.

Or maybe the GM simply wants a faster paced environment. Making sure the GM gets the right people for that environment is important. You don't want a slow player in a fast game, because they'll get written out and it hurts peoples feelings when they're written out. You don't want people applying themselves to a game where they can't even function, it isn't fair.
    I agree with this to some extent. My only question is, if time and pace are that important, why not just detail that information up front? It's that easier... just getting everything you expect right out in the open? A NOTE/WARNING of sorts to give the players a head's up?

Let's say I'm 100% interested in a story but I don't know the GM's full intensions as far as pace. I have all the passion and love for the roleplay, putting 110% of my efforts into it. But as soon as I turn in my application, I receive a "Sorry but you didn't make the cut" response. It's like, why bother applying? If I don't know what to expect, pace/availability-wise, then how am I supposed to know if 1) I should put the effort into applying and 2) should busy the GM with my application. I don't want to waste my time nor the GM's time on something that could have been avoided from the get-go.

I guess I would rather have everything out in the open -- where the GM states explicitly what they want. If the roleplayer can meet that qualification, then they could apply and such. If they don't, no time was wasted and both parties can carry on.

Now, if a GM was trying to gauge how fast the game was moving and was simply looking at the speed of the prospects, that's another story. If the GM notices everyone has a one-week post time, then the GM would know to not expect rapid posts. It would help with set up and game format and events, thus making the application step a neat way to plan the story out.

Rambling aside, I get the application. I get that, if done right, it can be super helpful and weed the highly interested from the semi-interested. But, as I stated before, I also see it as a bit of a roadblock for those of us who aren't fond of pace restrictions.

In the end, I know I won't be using this system with my roleplays. Not my style. But hey, to each is their own and if it floats their boat, then power to 'm. It'll spice things up and give roleplayers a chance to test styles out and see how each GM crafts their own story, and there's nothing wrong with that. ^_^

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joonsexual View Post

I can safely say that, I started the trend on WTF (ha... I'm a trend-setter...).

When I used to role-play on Gaia, background checks (BGCs) were the norm. It allowed creators to screen for writers who didn't meet their expectations without having to put the individual through some hell in filling out an extensive and lengthy profile.

I started to use the application method (with Halcyon) because a) I didn't want to deal with the traditional profiles for large texts for clarity and b) I wanted to see character ideas before they took full-flight. I don't think it's fair to have people create a full profile and, at the end of it, be told it's not suitable or whatever. I didn't think to do this with Pentimento and, as such, I either had to suck it up and allow for unsuitable characters to continue in the game or flat-out ask the person to change x, y, and z factors. I learned from that mistake, obviously.

I'll assume that other people use the application method for more traditional reasons (i.e. screening players). I use it for a different purpose (although I do still use the BGC for screening purposes, this is just a bonus). If you look to the profiles in Halcyon, they aren't the typical/traditional profiles where people write extensively on a topic. They are short and survey-based.

Typically, the availability question isn't really a huge screener (it wasn't on Gaia, at least) and I don't use it as a way to "disqualify" people. Availability is a general ballpark figure for when you are likely to post. It gives the creator a way to gauge, roughly, when the cast will post as a whole, etc. I use it mainly for the timezone. I need to know what timezones I'm working with so that I can better pace the story/posting.

I would explain a bit more about various other benefits to the issue, but I have to get to class. ):

Edit: Phone. Excuse autocorrects. But, I wouldn't necessarily call this a fad. It's rather isolated and not widespread. It's more of an anomaly, really. (:

Weirdest thing ever, this didn't even show up until after I posted. O_o; How strange... but my Chrome has been acting really weird all day. D:

Annnnnywaaaaay,
    That explanation explains a lot (did I really just use the same word twice but in two formats? #imlame). I guess I was reading into them a bit wrong. I took them all as more of screening process rather than you're efficiency/style system. But that's neat to know that there are different applications for applications (I really need to use my words... but it's after 5 and I've been working all day so I'm tired #excuses). And the timezone aspect is brilliant! It almost makes me wish that below our avatars there was a little section that said... "Timezone: _____." Me likey! You're so smart. :3

But thanks for your interpretation, jing (or do you go by joon now?)! 'tis much appreciated!

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Simple answer: because there are always exceptions.

Long answer: Having an application allows me to determine the availability of the potential players. I may want people to post 5 times a day every day, but I know that is unreasonable and off-putting. However, if I find out what the availability of players is I can at least set a standard that everyone can meet. This standard may very well mesh closely with my desires, or at least be close to something I can work with.

It also allows me to know when people can get on, and what kind of posting trends I can expect. However, outright telling people "you will post five times a day every day" well I won't get player this way, and I especially won't get the types of players I want.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    Rambling aside, I get the application. I get that, if done right, it can be super helpful and weed the highly interested from the semi-interested. But, as I stated before, I also see it as a bit of a roadblock for those of us who aren't fond of pace restrictions.
    Then clearly the games environment is not one you should be part of, and I think an application that is setup correctly will reflect this. The GM then knows not to accept you into the game. It also means you don't spend hours setting up a character just to be declined from the game.

It is a win win for both parties. It's a few extra minutes of your time to fill in the application, but it saves you hours of work down the road.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    I guess I would rather have everything out in the open -- where the GM states explicitly what they want. If the roleplayer can meet that qualification, then they could apply and such. If they don't, no time was wasted and both parties can carry on.
    The application also does other things. It isn't just to see how often someone can post, that may be part of it. However, most application assess multiple different aspects of a player and their ability. The application is in essence a player profile, one tailored to the areas that that particular GM is interested in.

Jing's application form would be different from my own. Jing and I seek different aspects in our players and we'd tailor our applications to reflect those areas to find the right people.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

and like you said it is off-putting to some people to have to fill in an application. Thing is this isn't a mandatory step on WTF and if you choose not to fill in the application to join my game . . . then you choose not to . . . I may lose the chance to play with certain people I may want to play with, but that is something that happens.

I need to rephrase this: the important thing to recognize is this is an anomaly, this isn't mandatory or even common place on WTF.

If you don't like it don't do it. Don't apply, don't use an application in your own game, and run your game how you like.

It is done by certain people to achieve a certain goal. They want certain type of players and an application is the easier, neatest, kindest way of achieving this goal.
    Last edited by Strude; 07-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.

I'm still on my phone; disregard autocorrect errors. I can't catch everything... /sigh

I think there's too much emphasis on the "availability" clause when, in tradition, it's not really the focus of the application or a significant portion of the process.

The importance of the BGC is in its ability to gauge a player's skill level. It is an assessment of skill. I may not ask for a sample from my applicants, but I can still see how capable or incapable the applicants
    are. Bottom line: applications are a measurement of skill. That is the base of the application process, anything else gleaned from the process is a side benefit that may or may not be shared by other creators.

And, as its been said, apps are inherently exclusive. They exist to limit who will apply and then, of that pool, who can actually join.

My name is Jing, but you are free to refer to me what is more comfortable for you.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.