Login to your account

Thread: (Un)Official FAQ thread

(Un)Official FAQ thread

I. Okay, so I ask a ton of questions, as do many of you *waggles finger and YOU*. And Maneki is sooooo awesome that she tries to answer them all. I've noticed a few repeat questions recently, though, so I thought compiling a list of answered questions might help some ^_^! I stink at formatting and the like, and may miss a few things, so feel free to make suggestions or additions. I will try to keep this updated with answers, time permitting and will put some order into it eventually.

These answers more or less come from maneki unless other wise noted.

Table of Contents
    To navigate easily between sections, simply hit the f3 button on your keyboard and a small search window should show up in the top right corner. Type in the section number to jump to that section.

I. Introduction
    as seen above
    II.General Site Questions
    where to find things and details about how things work on this site
    III. Technical Questions
    Questions about coding and other mechanics
    IV. Rules Clarifications
    Not certain on whether some thing is acceptable and one to ere on the safe side? Check here
    V.Known issues and requests for changes to the site
    This is an ever changing list of what is going on around here. Identified bugs will be listed, as will requests for updates. Check here to see if the bug you spotted or the idea you had is already under consideration. (I may add a subsection of ideas there were simply not plausible so the same requests are not made repeatedly)
    II. General Site Questions

Where are the rules?
    Top right hand button, or click here!

Who are your leaders?
    Another sticky link, my lovelies.

Where can I go to find like minded players?
    Try the character pool! or if not there then check this place out!

I need guidance, where can I go for help/tutorials?
    Guides hve been created on how to create and run a full featured role play and use the other special features of this site
    Other guides can help with general role playing, glossary of terms and such like.
    Or you can request a mentor!

Is there or will there be a limit to how many fully-featured RPs one can have/run/co-host?
    No, have as many games as you want, but please don't abuse the system.

Is there a limit on characters in the pool?

Yes, that is set at five right now. It is meant for characters you are actively seeking to play with. If you just want to store characters, may we suggest the Warehouse? Just don't forget to record your character in the logbook!

III. Technical Questions

Why can't I delete my post in ### Full Featured RP? (even if it is my rp?)
    No one can at this point. If you need a post deleted, just flag it at the boss type people will take care of things.
    ---Why not?
    The reason it's set up to allow users not to delete their own posts is to prevent things like entire threads going missing because someone deleted the first post in the thread, or from people posting flames somewhere and then deleting them once they've got people stirred up. It's the same as how Menewsha is set up and it actually doesn't happen as often as you'd think it would that people want their posts entirely removed. xD
    (maneki says things much more clearly than me)

Is my character in the character pool going to be deleted if I don't play it for seven days?
    Simple answer- no. How ever, if you think you are going to be away for several days, it would not hurt to make back ups of your characters in the Clone Warehouse

My understanding of the most recent change is that they are never deleted but 'disappear' after seven days of user inactivity. They /should/ come back if you return to being an active member, but it still wouldn't hurt to make warehouse back ups if you are planning on being away.

Help! I don't want to read every single post but the new messages icons are driving me mad, what do I do?
    There is a button of the forum index page at the " bottom, after the forums but before the "what's going on?" list." (credit to tahiel for the very clear directions)

How do you make some one a co-host?
    To add someone as a co-host, go to, "Manage Roleplays" > "Manage Co-Hosts".

If I lock the main location which has sublocations and the sublocations are not locked. Will it lock the sublocations with it?
    Yes, here is a maneki illustration:
    Sub-locations will always follow the key of the higher locations first and their own second. So if you had an office building that only employees could access, a character would need a key to get into it to visit the rooms within. The locked areas within a locked area will need their own keys, but you still can't access the inner rooms without the first key. (It's easier when you think of it in terms of buildings and the rooms within them.)
    Why can't I use [imgleft][/imgleft] and [imgright][/imgright]? Or *insert other bbc*?
    Unfortunately, there are bad people in the world who can use certain tags for bad reasons. For the safety of this site and your computer, no one is allowed to align images at this time. As for other specific codes, the reasoning is likely the same, but feel free to ask if this does not make sense.

In the meantime, we have tables now and you can use them to create pseudo alignment! Check out the updates for more info on this.

IV. Rules Clarifications

Is it be permitted to have Adult content in a non-Adult roleplay IF there was a location that required a key and that key only be given to Adult players?
    Official answer is no, how ever, you can you make "a sort of "alternate" version of your game where adult situations can take place. Like, not keys, but just copy and pasting all of the game info over into a new game rated Adult and directing your players there for "bonus level content"." (maneki said it best ;p)

What is it okay to advertise on this site?
    Your nifty full featured rp- Yes!
    Your interesting err interest group- Yes!
    Your super unique one on one ideas- Yes!
    Your favorite avatar site- No!
    Your personal blog- No!
    Other off site content- No!
    Pretty simply, right?

When creating a character, is it alright to use images for said character that aren't yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by maneki
    I don't have a problem with it as long as you don't claim the artwork as yours if it's not.

In an ideal world, you'd credit the original artist(s) somewhere, but sometimes you've found the file second-hand and have no idea who to credit. I'm an artist myself, and the only thing that pisses me off about my artwork being reused is the obvious about other people making money off of it, claiming it as theirs, or altering/tracing it and claiming the work as theirs. xD; It's all good-faith and generally fair use, I believe.
    Can you play children in 'adult' tagged horror role plays?
    Yes, as long s all players involved are adults. 'Horror is horror' and kids show up in horror novels all the time.

V. List of known issues/site change requests:

• Issue sending a response on some andriods and i-pods
    • Only STAFF can delete posts (they are trying to fix this but there are security issues involved?)
    • possible changes to images allowances in signatures
    • possible (far future?) option to create post limits on your full featured RP, see
    • This
    • A request for a chat room has been made and noted.
    • hanging locations aka a change to the appearance of FFRPs has been requested and wish listed
    • Various security issues with coding and new codes being added daily
    • Closed ooc threads this seems to be unintentional and there are two confirmed so far : OOC: This Dark Dream, OOC: Sunshine Destiny Miracle Island Academy
    Last edited by Aerion; 07-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.

If you end up needing any more reserved posts, let me know and I'll edit some in for you.

I haven't tested profile customizations to see if it works the way it ought to, but it's stricken off the coder's to-do list, so it should be fixed.

You might also want to add in the [imgleft][/imgleft] and [imgright][/imgright] issue. For security reasons, we probably won't have any way to align images with text until we can find a way to do so without compromising the security of the site or users. :B
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Thanks for that, I'll update this after work today ^_^!

And maneki I forget to mention it this morning, but thank you. I tried to reserve a post last night then went 'd'oh! can't do that on this site!' lol. We'll see how it grows and changes over time. I am going to add a broad table of contents either this evening or tomorrow to help people find sections using the f3 search option.
    Last edited by Aerion; 07-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Profile customization still is wonky. I have it not to show and it still shows all those... blinding beautiful ... colors. XD

Rules button at the top now actually works and leads to actual rules.

Thank you for wonderful thread Aerion. <3

(ooc)

I just thought it would make things easier n.n plus it makes me feel like a productive member and such like.

Actually, you know; I went back and checked/unchecked the box for profile customization, and now the profiles that had been customized don't show any customization in either checked or unchecked states... So now I'm confused on whether it was fixed and the profiles reset from customizations, or fixed so well that they just don't show any customization regardless. XD

ETA Or my firefox is stupid, also a possibility. XD

(ooc)

If someone else could confirm or not, that may help. xD; I don't know that I can have that looked into until I'm settled in at my friend's house, though!
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

yup my customization isn't showing for me at all on my google chrome >.< neither is any one else's.

Nertz. Will add it to the reports then. >_> But will be sneaky so it doesn't send an email to anyone so they don't feel like they have to take care of it rightaway.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Haha, yuss, profile customization is really not a big deal.
    Last edited by Tahiel; 07-07-2011 at 12:11 AM.

(ooc)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiel View Post
    ...blinding beautiful ... colors. XD
    ^^
    he he he
    will code for cofee

I like my purples better than white BGs personally ;p those blind me. And I tried to make my text visible colors. Thanks for the fix!

Yes, thanks for the fix alxjvr!

lol Oh, I don't blame for wanting to get rid of white (even if I prefer white or gray over others), buuut, some people choose complimentary colors, and others (in my experience, 98% of them) don't. XD So I like it when they offer to disable customizations. Makes those who like adding color happy, and those who like everything OCD-ly looking the same happy. XDDD

(ooc)

Neither Sinner nor Saint GinKadia's Avatar
    I understand the reason for it but having a delete button would be rather helpful especially for when we recon things in the rp.