Login to your account

Thread: Is it better to mentor 1x1 or 1x2+?

Is it better to mentor 1x1 or 1x2+?

I'm new to group RPs, so I'm probably biased, but 1x1 to me seems like the best way. First, if there are any mistakes, then it doesn't feel like calling an individual out in front of everyone else. It also neither seems like gang-banging (if others were to take part) nor confusing as multiple people give their own opinion. Now, I can see some benefits of group RPs, because the mentored individual can see what works and what doesn't outside of a "vacuum", but who says that they can have only one mentor? If you believe group is the best, then is there a limit to how many? Lastly, what if a mentor helped while not being involved in the actual story, whether in OOC or as an editor for their student (to show how good the student's post could be)?
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

When I mentor players regardless of the interaction we choose, groups or one on one, the method and the content I feel the player needs to learn doesn't change. As far as calling someone out and the resulting "gang-bang" scenario you paint can be easily avoided by talking privately before publicly discussing the issue.

I feel the best sized group roleplay, regular or mentor situation, is four players. I feel anything more than six players is to many. I find four players can easily balance a cast of characters and in an OOC situation, plotting and planning, four people is a nice equal balance of opinions and suggestions that doesn't get to out of hand. I also find with a four player group you have far less in-fighting or disputes.

As far as doing the "outsider looking in" (editor) approach to mentoring. I feel as long as the mentor covers the mechanics of the game, which isn't something that changes to much between groups or one on one, or even other forms of roleplay, it's okay to look in and critique. I feel if the mentor is nit picking on post length that is something they should leave well alone. If the mentor is helping with syntax then editing is the best way to go.

edit: I was sitting here thinking about it, and honestly I don't even need to roleplay with someone to teach them how. I have found simply having a conversation about roleplaying is the best way to go. I learn what they know and in turn share what I know. How they choose to apply that knowledge is their own business since there are any number of ways to go about it.
    Last edited by Stygian Void; 05-19-2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: added some more opinions.

I feel like I should give you two sets of five stars for that; one for writing such a clear and convincing post, and the other for understanding what I meant (outsider looking in). Also, that last mention of just discussing, I hadn't thought of that, but I think that works with those that are capable of inputting what they have been told while not seeing it done. Kinda like those that don't want to hear someone explain a difficult equation, but see it written down on paper, and then others who have to perform the equation to remember it. Thanks for replying and welcome to WTFRPG.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

Yeah, most people often forget to consider just talking about the process. I feel like it is the best method for me, because once I teach someone the mechanics they can simply apply them accordingly. I think combining the teach first and apply the lesson method is best. It is like baby steps, read the guide book and then play the game.

Plus I think paragraph roleplaying is a rather self explanatory game. I think everyone that starts para. roleplay knows the basics already. I don't think I need to teach someone how to write. So I don't need to actually RP with them, because I know they can put down a paragraph or string several together. I think a lot of what people need to learn are mechanical things that are easier to explain first and apply later. Since mechanics at the root remain the same, but their application differs according to the situation. So it is easier to explain how it works first so the person has the basics and allow the person to apply their understanding based on what is going on in a game.

Like explaining how pacing works, it is something that at the root it is the same regardless of the game and only really varies depending on group size and the actual situation playing out in the game (and in some cases the games rules). So if you know the basics about pacing you can adjust yourself later according to the group size (and other factors).

edit: and I guess personal preferences too . . . but so many things in para. roleplay and on forums is preference base because it is such an unofficial form of roleplay.

Heh, thank you I'd love those stars! > w <'
    Last edited by Stygian Void; 05-19-2013 at 01:45 PM.