Login to your account

Thread: • What Are Your RP Loves & Pet Peeves?

• What Are Your RP Loves & Pet Peeves?

#ILOVEYOU & #PETPEEVES

Everyone has a thing or two that drives them up-the-wall-crazy and a thing or two that makes them sob into their keyboards with joy when it comes to role-playing. Let the community know what makes you cry unicorn tears or what makes you want to punch the computer screen.

• This thread will have strong opinions. Don't take things personally.
    • Having said the above, please be discreet. It's good to be tactful.
    • Feel free to rant or make one-liners or post gifs to express your thoughts.
    • Most importantly: Have fun.

PET PEEVES :

When I meet role-players who are constantly trying to make the RP about themselves:

Spoiler Spoiler

When I read ten-thousand-paragraph-posts and none of it matters:

Spoiler Spoiler

When I read three-minute-instant-noodle, kawaiikawaiidesudesu romance between characters:

Spoiler Spoiler

LOVES ;

When people don't make their characters intuitively aware of everything in a scene:

Spoiler Spoiler

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Clumsy Apprentice ChainsawLover's Avatar
    PET PEEVE:

When people misuse "your" and "you're" all the time (I'm no grammar Nazi; I make mistakes too)

Spoiler Spoiler

LOVES:

When there are clever plot twists

Spoiler Spoiler

When the stories go emotional/touching

Spoiler Spoiler
    Last edited by ChainsawLover; 04-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

“We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.”
    ― William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawLover View Post

When people misuse "your" and "you're" all the time (I'm no grammar Nazi; I make mistakes too)

Spoiler Spoiler

lolol. Some times, I don't realize it's an error and I try to read it as its written and my brain is just like: WHAT? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! IT—oh.

Haha. Brain can't keep up. ; A ;

TUMBLR.

Nameless NPC
    Pet peeves

Well, aside from Mary Sues and Marty Stus forcing their way into my games, I have pretty much only one pet peeve, and that is people not being able to act in character. I mean, why did you even come up with that horrible trauma from childhood if you're just going to ignore it's relevancy? Why can't your supposedly "cool and silent" character shut up for a while? It's especially aggravating in roleplays which heavily rely on characterization, such as love stories. Oh, and it's ten times worse if the person in question is purposely tweaking his/her character in order to speed up the romance. This always makes me want to pull out my hair in desperation.

Loves

I just squeal in delight over sarcastic/witty characters. It doesn't matter if MY char is the target of snark - in fact, that makes it even better since I love verbal fights.

Imperfect chars. Mistakes make them believable, and, at least in my eyes, lovable as well.

#PETPEEVES

When people submit profiles saying x, y, and z, but then role-play the character like a, b, and c.

Spoiler Spoiler

When people insist on plot ideas that are inherently impossible in the world or with the characters.

Spoiler Spoiler

#LOVELYTHINGS

When people have their characters make legitimate mistakes / bad decisions.

Spoiler Spoiler

TUMBLR.

Pet Peeves

When people take roleplaying too seriously. I love it too, and it's my favorite hobby but... damn.

Spoiler Spoiler
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

How do you guys do that spoiler thing? NVM! Got it!

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

PET-PEEVE: No apparent effort to check grammar or spelling, unless that is within a character's perspective to write like that or within their speech.
    Spoiler Spoiler

God-Moding ALL THE TIME (omnipotence, omniscience, Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus)!
    Spoiler Spoiler

Twisting the characters of the people in the story to make things easier for an author. Would they really do that?
    Spoiler Spoiler

LOVE: Mixing genres! Ninja Pirate Rockstar Superhero Go! Zombies in space! Science fiction and fantasy make a baby!
    Spoiler Spoiler

Making life and people commonplace even though everything is magically or technologically advanced.
    Spoiler Spoiler

Description! I mean, I’m bad at rambling, but I can’t see what you do, unless you tell me! If I was a mind-reader, then I wouldn’t be RPing, but I'd rather give you GPS coordinates than stick in the ocean without so much as a life jacket. Believe that I am blind and someone is reading your work to me, please.
    Spoiler Spoiler
    Last edited by Kriemedean; 05-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

PET-PEEVES:

Although this has already been brought up, I just can't stop thinking about it now and i'm going to say it again (repetition is good, right); complete lack of grammar and spelling checks! I really don't mind the small things, I made heaps of mistakes, I know that for a fact, but when a single person is always, without fail, writing 'too' instead of 'to', or replaces lovely things like commas with a million poorly placed full stops, it really grates on me.

I also really find it frustrating when people ignore quotation marks in cases of speech and instead use colours, or italics to suggest that their character is actually speaking. It really does somethiing to my immersion levels.

And the biggest and most bothersome thing of all that I have run into; when a character being written by someone you do not know, and have never discussed potential character connections with, suddenly has a complete and rather strikingly traumatic history with your character. Which, for some reason, your own character doesn't remember. I once had a new member on one of the old forums I was in sudenly remark that my poor, unsuspecting character had assaulted them at one point. Resulting in children - which they had clearly forgotten about because they didn't care. I was a little bit stunned by this one.

LOVES:

Characters with FLAWS! Beautiful, beautiful flaws! There's nothing I don't love more than an actual, honest-to-God selfish and manipulative character. Or one who actually hasn't told the truth once. Or one who is seriously cowardly or cruel or just entirely oblivious to what's going on around them. It makes for some pretty interesting writing, I've found!
    We were never tragedies; we were emergencies. Call 911, tell them I'm having a fantastic time.

I don't have any images this time... /sob ; A ;

But... that's okay! Probably?

People who meta-game. I don't care how perceptive your character is or how observant they may be because it's not a valid reason for simply knowing about things. If characters are a reflection of actual behavior then learn to reflect the most important trait: not knowing. There is nothing more irritating than writing with or opposite of a character that seems to notice all the little things. Nobody is that aware and, if you think I'm wrong, you're clearly full of shit. #sorry but not sorry.

People who respond to everything. It's not necessary to address everything. There is such a thing as selective interaction. Plus, not everything should be responded to (reference the above).

People who can draft beautiful, solid characters. I love characters that aren't the sum total of someone's sick, twisted fantasies. I like it when characters have true, honest flaws. I love it when characters have a reason behind their behavior (so little characters have this). There is something beautiful about a character that is well-connected, well-explained (especially if it can be done without an accompanying novel).

TUMBLR.

Pet Peeves:

Skipping: It's ok to not respond when a character talks to you, but at least aknowledge them in post. Is it so hard to say "William paid no attention to what Jesse had to say" rather than ignore the fact that Jesse asked william a question entirely?

Sudden character change: Character development is entirely possible, so it's ok if a character's personality gradually changes with interactions, traumas, experience, etc. But a sudden A to B such as a face/heel turn is simply absurd and I cannot stand it for the life of me.

I never lose: People who cannot allow their characters to lose a fight no matter the circumstances, the plot benefit it would represent or how absurdly injured they already are compared to their opponent. It's just dull to have a constant winner, even Rambo fucks up sometimes.

Loves:

Budding relationships: The opposite of this also falls into my pet peeves.
    "Who are you?
    -Just some dude, you have nice eyes.
    -I think I love you
    -Let's have babies."
    NO RELATIONSHIP WORKS LIKE THAT! You're burning way too many steps. Unless there's already an established relationship between your characters, there should be at least 3-5 pages between the moment they meet and the moment they mate... Get to know each other, grow closer through ordeals, etc. That's the stuff we love to see. Legend of Camelot (which is in one of the spoilers above) is the perfect example of such a budding romance.

T1 fighting: There's nothing like someone who obeys the laws of physics in a fight. Even if it IS a superhero fight. If you swing an axe with all your might, you won't be able to instantly change the direction of the blow. You can't block while doing a backflip, it's just not possible. Keeping those things in mind and accepting the damage an RP mistake leads you to, even if you don't end up losing the fight, shows you are mature about a confrontation.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.

#LOVE SO HARD

When a role-play is about to start and everyone in it seems hyped to start.

Spoiler Spoiler

TUMBLR.

#HATE-IT

PLOTS WRITTEN IN SECOND PERSON.

aaa

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

#LOVEIT

Players who talk OOC and contribute to the development of the RP.
    Players who talk OOC about relationships.
    Players who talk OOC about sexy time.
    Player who RP sexy time with me!
    Players who write cuddles and fluff with me!
    Players who write then characters in as active instead of passive.
    Players who contribute twists IC!