Login to your account

Thread: Oh hey art!

Oh hey art!

Yay art forum! What a nice way to bribe people into roleplaying (since most of my art comes from my games).

So here's some art I made of the Atlantic City Cabaret of the Damned (1920's freakshow game I've posted about in the Interest forum). Enjoy.

Most of these are a bit old, from about a year ago. I've improved since then, but some of these pieces I still like.

This is my character, Mike, a freakshow performer. He's my go-to character whenever I need to let out some angst.

Mike and Jackson, an albino who also performed in the freakshow (when the game was still running), going on an adventure.

Some more Mike angst.

Mike and Jackson in front of the theater that houses the show.

I used to have another minor character called Dolores. Obviously, she was a working woman.

Mike and Mr. Declan Quinn, a local gangster.

These are more recent paintings. This one features Mike and Mute Mick, the theater's liquor provider and a bootlegger.

A poster of Mike's act.

And some more Mikes looking angsty.

Last one is a sketch featuring Mike with two other characters of mike which are unrelated to the Cabaret of the Damned. I just wanted to see I can make distinctions between their different body types.
    Also notice I somehow managed arranging them by height, body type, and most importantly: level of hairiness.

And um. That's pretty much it. Hope I helped convince some people that this game is awesome and YOU SHOULD GO CHECK IT OUT IN THE INTEREST FORUM.
    Every man is evil, yes, every man's a liar
    An unashamed with a wicked tongue sing in the Black Soul Choir

Thank you so much! It's hard to keep practicing when school gets in the way, but I whip some personal work out whenever I can. I totally forgot to say, BTW: I was looking into studying in the US before I got into art school, and it is, like you said, a bitch. I could never ever afford that, ever.

LOL Oh my, I'm so sorry - I mistook 'CA' for California rather than Canada. I was in Animation before I switched to graphic design, and since Canada's known for its animation schools, those were the first places I checked. I was still never going to be able to afford it. It's just not sums anyone in Israel would be able to pay, unless they're a. extremely rich or b. on a scholarship.
    I go to a university rather than a college, so the state funds most of my studies. I only have to pay about... 3400 Canadian dollars per year.

Do you have a post on this forum somewhere? I'd love to see your stuff!
    And besides, I believe anyone can learn technique if they practice enough and get regular critique.

ETA: looking at this post's preview, I just realized there is a motherload of images here. So sorry about that. Or not, really?

So here's some more art, this time from different RPs.

The other big RP I've had running for a few years was called G.I. Blood. I revolved around around a (Jewish) American paratrooper that gets lost in Normandy during D-Day (Joe). He has no other option but to join forces with a German soldier that's turned on his own unit (Erik); and together they roam Europe looking for Allied forces.

Like before, the first few drawings are rather old - about three years.

This is Joe putting down Tefillin before he leaves for England. It's a sort of Jewish prayer ritual.

*V-E as in Victory in Europe Day.

At some point, this guy from the French Resistance (Rene) joins the two soldiers for a while. He disappears around the time they reach Berlin.

During training in England, Joe breaks his leg and is sent to the military hospital for a treatment, where he hits it off with a nurse called Millie. After the war, when he finds his way home, they get married.
    She's not too big a fan of Erik.

A small side-story we had going on is of Joe's unit during the war. His best friend from his platoon, Caleb, volunteers for the paratroopers at 17.
    Pre-war, he used to play football for his high-school's team and was sure to get a scholarship to one college or another based on that.
    During the Battle of the Bulge he takes a bullet to the knee, which pretty much terminates his football career.
    Evacuated to the hospital in Bastogne, he meets Millie, who takes care of his injury.
    When I'm bored and don't want to work on anything serious, my go-to theme is just drawing him shirtless.

(L-R: Joe, Caleb, and another minor character called Buck.)

More images in the next comment!

These ones are more recent paintings of the gang.

Caleb in his football gear.

And again, shirtless.

Here's the only bit of concept art I made for an outlaw gang RP set in late 1800's New Mexico.

And these are my friend's and my own characters, SA and Zoei. We only RP them when we're not in the mood for anything heavy, since they're either high, drunk or both 100% of the time.
    They mainly get to be drawn when I want to work on SA's tattoos or change their hairdo's.

Last, but not least - a super old, super big sketchdump of a zombie-apocalypse game I had going on for a while.
    While each of us had about three-four characters all in the same military unit, these were the main two - Toni and Matt.

And that's pretty much it for now. The history of all the games I ever had I thought were any good.

As guaranteed - Sweetsunnyrain's character, Levi. Since no one else had asked for a freebee, I took the time to make it into a finished painting.
    Hope it's what you had in mind!

A Shining Example Sweetsunnyrain's Avatar
    aksldjfads
    I'M GONNA DIE THAT IS SO PERF
    dies
    thanku ;;

Sure thing I'm glad you liked it.

The boredom of vacation:
    I stated working on this painting about six months ago, and never got around to finish it up until now.

Some quick character sketches for a game NomDePlume and I are currently running. (:

So here's something a little different than what I usually do.
    I went back to school today after going on a long vacation and I realized there were some assignments I've done over the past two years that I'm rather proud of. So, instead of more watercolor paintings, here are some stuff I did for school.

I didn't start out in Graphic Design. When I initially got accepted (2011) it was for the Animation department. I wasn't too good at it, but I'm rather proud of the final assignment we got last year.
    The class picked out a song, and each student got about 10 seconds out of it that they were supposed to animate. We were instructed to make an animation of Bart Simpson dancing. When the assignment was finished we put all the 10-second segments together and got a Bart Simpson clip.
    Anyway, you can watch my part of that video here.

Onward to more current stuff. I did start my second year in the animation dept. during Oct. 2012, but realized very quickly that I wanted to switch departments. After making enough trouble they let me transfer to graphic design, but I have to do first year all over again, because it's a different degree. So. Yes.

Some stuff from illustration class:

A portrait of Peggy Lee, done when I was still in Animation:

Some cross-hatching practice:

Dry brush portraits:

A drawing of my bedroom made from cut-out wallpaper:

Surreal breakfast:

And what I've been working on for most of my recent vacation: every year first year students are ordered to make a hyper-realistic painting with acrylic on wood. Usually you have to draw a wrapper of some kind, but this year, our professor decided we were going to draw feces. I shit you not.
    Included under spoiler for those of you who don't really wanna see it.
    Spoiler Spoiler

On to some stuff from sketching class (nude models obviously not included):

Now this isn't essentially school-related, but when I was still in animation a bunch of us were working on producing\filming\acting in a Youtube comedy\action series. While we ended up abandoning the project because the producers sold the idea to some or other production company after we set up a Kickstarter for the show, I still giggle uncontrollably whenever I run into some of our promotional stuff. I'm the chick on the right.

Some photography assignments:

Onto various assignments for various classes:

A "peephole box" (as the assignment defined it) made as a gesture to an amazing show in New York called Sleep No More. It contained a rotating device inside with images from the show or its rules, and in the headphones you could hear one of the tracks from its soundtrack.
    The full construction and images included in the box can be found here.

A poster made for one of my favorite musicians, Nick Cave, in his outfit from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' video for In the Ghetto.

Another portrait of a loved musician, this time David Eugene Edwards, made entirely out of his own lyrics.

Logo-type designs for a fictional country band:

A fashion magazine made for - that's right - Jesus. You can view the rest of the magazine here.

Last, a Rorschach stain inspired by the works of street artist Matt W. Moore.

I guess I just wanted to show I can do other things but paint nicely. X:

Super excited today and this is the story why:

My WW2 geekery mostly comes from Band of Brothers. I can't tell you how many times I've watched the show, how many scenes I know by heart, and how many of the soldiers' personal journals\memoirs I've read. My two favorite Easy Co. members have always been Wild Bill Guarnere and Doc Eugene Roe, ever since I watched the show for the first time.

I made this piece about 3-4 years ago, depicting a small portion of Easy Co. (sorry for the poor quality of both images, I don't own either of them anymore):

A short while after uploading it to several websites, I received a message from none other than Eugene Roe's grandson, who wanted to commission me for a similar painting of his grandfather - combining both original photographs of Roe and images of his BoB actor, Shane Taylor.

I wasn't willing to accept any payment for this piece, so in return he mailed me some pictures of his grandfather along with other memorabilia, and we've been keeping in something of a loose touch ever since.

I messaged him today saying I don't think the painting he has does his grandfather justice anymore and that I'd like to make a new one for him. I won't have time to work on something as big as that, though, so I'm going more towards a fully colored portrait.
    He replied that he's been meaning to message me for a while because he has something he'd like to mail me. I couldn't have been more excited about anything, and this is literally one of the best aspects of my art. I mean, getting to know people like this. So yes. Excited.

Daaaaammn! You have some amazing talent. These look like pieces that could easily be used for an opening to a movie or game. Fantastic artwork. I'm rather jealous.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Well there's always room to improve as far as I'm concerned, but thank you so much nonetheless. <3

You sound like my boyfriend. Ha ha. He's always telling me there's room to grow and improve. I totally agree though. But you've already have a pretty solid style. Improvements for you would probably be speed and minor details -- unless you want to completely overhaul the look. But I do simply adore it. It really is a great style. A gaming company should hire you to do their art. It has the Borderlands feel but it's totally original.

Heh, I could go on and on about how awesome it is. You really are talented; don't ever let anyone ever tell you otherwise

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Btw, I like the newer digital pieces too (they didn't load last time I viewed your page). They are really nice too. The sharp contrast is fantastic!

- hangouts -

Jeez, I honestly don't know what to say to all these lovely compliments except again, thank you so much! (:

There's always room to improve in the sense that yes, I'm pretty good at drawing people, but I'm shit with backgrounds and\or complicated scenes. I've been working on that whenever I could over the past year and some of my professors have tried to help me in those areas, too. Besides - 'style' is a term I find problematic. A lot of people use it as an excuse to not try to improve. For example, I used to have a friend who would draw totally disproportionate, distorted figures, and when confronted about it he would just say that 'that was his style'. No, it's not your style, you just don't know anatomy and are too lazy to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by starkandskinny View Post
    A lot of people use it as an excuse to not try to improve. For example, I used to have a friend who would draw totally disproportionate, distorted figures, and when confronted about it he would just say that 'that was his style'. No, it's not your style, you just don't know anatomy and are too lazy to learn.
    Totally agree with you 110-percent right there. There is certainly a fine line between laziness and one's personal preferences. I know I've played around with different looks and, at the end of the day, I went back to my original feel and look. Not because it was easy and familiar but because I felt I could really develop the furthest with that look. I think a style is defined after a person has explored several different options and, after trial and error, finds the one look that really makes him/her happy. What always amazes me is when artists have several so-called styles or themes. I'm always just in awe because they clearly pushed their limits and went that extra mile to experiment and play around. You're definitely one of those arts who can cover a wide range of mediums as well as looks. Your military pieces are detailed and comic-like whereas your digital art, some of them, remind me of Shepard Fairey's work. It's just really neat that you've got diverse talents -- you can draw, paint, and do digital art.

Anyway, that's really nice of your teachers to help you. Back in high school my art teacher refused to help me because she didn't want to influence my "style" with hers. It was frustrating as hell. So props to your professors for trying

- hangouts -

My highschool teachers never helped me with anything. I'm mostly self-taught: everything you just mentioned made me think of the one person I learned the most of. Her name's Chelsea, she gives me a bazillion tips whenever I need them, and she's an amazing artist that can do practically ANYTHING. This is her deviantART page.

I didn't know I could do digital art. I mean I have some digital stuff up here but I definitely can't paint in Photoshop. I will, eventually.

The amount of talent here @.@

I have never been very good at painting, let alone watercolor (wish I had the time to dedicate to change that), but egads, your work is stupendous! I love that you put a piece up as you were working on it to see how your mind hashes things out, I was wondering if you started from lines or just started painting. Definitely amazing work, something you should never let go of!

Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled over here for any updates in the future XD

Illustrators go for lines (: that's just the way we think. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR ALL THE COMPLIMENTS <3

I'm not really active on this site anymore, but my Tumblr or deviantART are regularly updated (Tumblr more than deviantART).

I will have to follow you on there once I get on my desktop again.

I just wasn't sure on the line thing because by the end you don't see them at all. I have a long way to go to achieve that XD

Well if you need any tips feel free to hit me up with questions etc. (: all I did was just... stop using ink for linearting.

I couldn't get to your deviant art for some reason O.o

That's so simple! I should try that with my mediums that don't involve markers >.>

Here's another try.

Ah yes, much better!