Login to your account

Thread: The Doubling Double Standard

Humble Farmer With a Sword balam acab's Avatar

The Doubling Double Standard

THE DOUBLING DOUBLE STANDARD
    doubling debunked and other roleplaying trends

I've been roleplaying for years. At first, I naturally adopted female roles, but as I began to develop as a roleplayer (via reading, mostly), male roles became equally as appealing. Before I knew it, I found myself facing a choice before beginning a roleplay: should I play a male lead or female lead? This decision was virtually impossible to make, but after careful deliberation, a gender would emerge victorious and be rewarded with the title of lead.

This, however, is me speaking from personal experience. As I've grown older, so has Gaia and it's roleplaying trends. From the unusual obsessions with mafia princesses to players coining their characters "dominant" and "submissive", I can honestly say that I've seen it all. One of the most unusual trends I've happened across is one called "doubling". Now, I'm sure most of you have heard of this term during your roleplaying exploits. For those who are unfamiliar with it, I believe I have it down to a viable definition.

DOUBLING Playing character(s) desired by your roleplaying partner so that they may reciprocate, thus appeasing both parties

This is more or less how I perceive "doubling". To further elaborate, I find that doubling is only suggested when a roleplayer is looking for a certain character to be played versus their own. Doubling is used as a means to entreat their partner to do so - by playing the character their partner wants, they are likely to reciprocate. While this appears to be a practical idea, I've noticed some huge flaws in this trend.

Firstly, doubling is mostly suggested by female roleplayers who generally want prince charming played against their female character (or in some cases, their male character). Usually their partners seek similar treatment. What I've found is that when doubling is agreed upon by both parties, the two secretly dread playing the male role for their partner. Usually (or at least from what I've seen) the female role ends up getting more attention; the males are drab, uninteresting and poorly played leaving both parties unhappy.

In my opinion, this is one of the stupidest trends to ever make its way to Gaia.

In retrospect, the idea could be useful, but it's abused by haughty girls (and sometimes, although rarely boys) who seek a stereotypical happily-ever-after for their tragically mary-sue lead. Why is this so accepted among female roleplayers but rejected among the males? While I'm exploring the forums, male roleplayers who suggest doubling get shit on time and time again. Why? Why is doubling such a huge double standard? I'm sick and tired of seeing females post in their threads "I want to play a female role because I've been playing the male role a lot lately." No you haven't. That method of psychological importunity leaves much to be desired [/endrant]

So, my friends, I leave you with a few questions. Please remember that this is my opinion and it is by no means right or wrong. I'm super curious to hear your comments, so here's some topics/questions that can be discussed:

1. What's your personal outlook on doubling? Yay or nay? Why?
    2. Do you believe that a doubling double standard exists between male and female roleplayers?
    3. Do you "double" differently? (ie, just play multiple side characters)
    4. What other roleplaying trends do you abhor? Discuss them!

. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with doubling. It's a tool like any other; people will use it as they see fit. With regards to myself, I don't double. I don't shape my character or characters with the sole intention for romance, which is what I often think of when doubling is mentioned.

. I think the problem here is an isolated observation, limited to a very specific population of role-players. During my time on Gaia as an active role-player (circa 2006/2010), the only people I saw making such threads were either a) very specific with what they wanted or b) less experienced.

. I don't double at all. I will play multiple characters, but not with the intentions of pairing one character to another. The exceptions being a) something canon-related or b) we come up with the characters together.

. The idea that characters must be balanced via a 50/50 trait assignment. This is, without a doubt, one of the worst modules/templates ever introduced. I can go on about this forever, but this can be its own thread, haha (and I think there might have been one way in the past about character creation, etc).

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

1, 2 & 3. I'm so new to forum role-playing that all the terms you mentioned, dominant and submissive, doubling, I thought were things that my friends made up, so I am not aware of any double standard in doubling acceptance between males and females. Anyway, I tried this with a friend several times and, maybe we like clearly different seduction methods but, it was irritatingly one-way focused. This is probably one of the reasons why I see my characters as liable to become sides just as easily as they are mains, though not always a bad thing. I make multiple characters and, if they pair up before I think of a character to match them with, then yippee. Also, not AIMING for romance helps, because you have to concentrate on plot. Also, doubling sounds specific to dating (double-date), but it could be used to educate other players on how to play a male or female better, mentoring.

The only way you are going to find your prince/princess charming is if you are lucky enough to meet him/her (I wish you the best with that) or you make it! Play Charming however you want and pretend that you are on the receiving end, and if the other person doesn't like that character, tough titty sprinkles. That or find someone with similar viewpoints, including a desire to do as best you can regardless of role and on how a boy/girl should be. If you really want the role-play to work for both of you, consider it like a marriage, aim to enjoy giving and marry someone who will do the same for you. That doesn't mean 50/50; it means 100/100. If you don't want to play a male, then don't, because nothing is worse than using someone for a job that has no desire to do it (not including those trying to better their skills even if they are scared that they will fail).

4. Boxed Into Personalities Because of Overplayed Persona: I think the only reason I play males is because I afraid of making annoyingly sweet girls, but not annoyingly sweet males, even though not everyone is a mental case or broken or seriously flawed. Typical is typical. Double standard, I know, but it's a work in progress to avoid, because so many times Mary-Sues were used on me, even if they were dudes, very, very chicky dudes! Also, sometimes people play men so bad, even by men, that I can't stand it. I end up applying for male roles to avoid the grief of a sucky antagonist or crybaby hunk.

Anywho, I don't think it helps that people don't consider the author with whom they are playing with. You may hate and choke on a certain character type, but what if it's that author's one Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu, their first Godlike character or their first angst-ridden character? I love strong women, but once in a while it would be nice to have a normal, teenage girl character that is part of Future Leaders of America, a girl-scout with rich parents and a hot boyfriend, or, by God, another who is preppy and whiny and all around peels the skin off of you with her useless presence! They exist and I only ask that they not be overuse. There is a reason why most story revolve about certain personalities and it's the same reason why men are in abundance in sports; they fit that position.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"