Login to your account

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Of Equal Talent

Clumsy Apprentice A Simple Sigh's Avatar
    "Hmm. I'll pick you up at six? Unless you want to meet me there?" He asked the latter in case she didn't want to ride with him on his motorcycle. Depending on what she wears, she probably won't be able to ride it anyway... He smiled and quirked up an eyebrow. "I mean, you wouldn't want to muss up your hair with a helmet, now would you?"

Approaching Greatness LostInOliviasWorld's Avatar
    "I'll meet you there." I said with a smile, he made a point. And there was really no 'picking up' since we live literally RIGHT by eachother. "We should get back I'm an hour or so, so we can get ready.." I suggested. I stood up, and I sat at the desk where my drawings were. I started to draw some more.. Tattoo ring ideas for his friends. "You gave your friends my number, right?" I asked, just making sure, so they could contact me any time.

"Then it's a date." he said as Lia had went to go sit down at the desk. He covered his mouth silently, not believing that he had said that. "I mean!" he bit down on his lip and let his entire body fall onto the couch, holding his head. "It's whatever you want it to be... I don't know." he laughed nervously.

"Think of it what you will."

I chuckled at his nervous actions. "Okay.. A date it is then." I said , and I turned and looked at him. He was so cute when he was nervous.. "Don't be nervous.. Its all good." I said, and I felt my cheeks blush. I sketched a very detailed heart, not the cartoon hearts, the real legit heart. I drew shading and everything. "What do you think?" I asked his opinion, holding it up. I glanced at the clock. We should get going soon.

Bynn sat up and looked at the drawing, his head cocked to the side. He smiled and nodded. "It is beautiful." He said, nodding. His own eyes went to the clock and he pulled himself up to go over to the easel, where he pulled his painting off of it and slid it into a portfolio bag. Everything should have been dry, and he was going to go see George tomorrow anyway.

"We should go on ahead. Give you a bit of time to get ready." he said, smiling lightly, shouldering his smallish portfolio bag.

"Okay, yea, let's go." I said. I headed outside, and waited for him to get his bike from the shed. When he did, we got on the bike, and headed back to the apartments. Once we were there, I gave him there helmet, and headed up with him. "Okay, see you at 6.." I said before going into my apartment. I took a shower, and when I was done I got into my new, nice black dress. It went up to mid-thigh and hugged my body nicely. I got on my nice Litas. I did my makeup very simple, and nice. Once my hair was dried, I curled it into soft wavy curls. I added a touch of perfume, and boom. Done. I grabbed my purse, and headed to my car. Which was a 1960's mustang, a red one. I drove to the meeting place, and I waited for his motorcycle to pull up before getting of my car. I double checked myself in the mirror.. Good to go.

Bynn pulled up to the place on his motorcycle about five minutes after Llia had pulled up. He hadn't stopped to look for her car on the way in, but as he got off, he found it rather quickly. He had his hair slicked back out of his face and his hair was pulled back into a pony tail. He wore a white dress shirt with an open black vest on top of it, and black slacks and his dance shoes. He stowed away his helmet and waited for Lia to come join him at the front of the building, so that they could go in together.

I got out of my car, wow.. He looked very handsome.. I walked over, and hugged him. "Wow, you look nice.." I said, and we linked arms, and walked inside. "This is going to be a fun night.. I can tell already.." I said, looking around the large room. People were dancing to the live music, and people were sitting down, having drinks at a round table. What to do first?

"Not so bad yourself, lil' missy." he said, grinning at the compliment. "You look rather stunning in that dress of yours." They linked arms and walked in through the doors, separating only to open the door and then rejoining when they got through. The room was well lit with a chandler that had been designed by the art students at the local college, the lights strewn across the room and reflected by little and large crystals hanging from the ceiling. At the back off the building, on the stage, was a band that was playing a lively tune that resembled a jazzy waltz. On the other side of the room was the bar, a round table-like structure that had people sit on the inside and outside of the circle, with a slot to get out and enough room for slightly drunk dancers to dance in the center- the space reserved for only them with an unspoken rule.

The song ended, and then the band called for a break, and music then spilled from the speakers. The band disperesed from the stage and a familiar face came towards the two.

"Hey! Bynn!" the man called.

"What's up George? Didn't know you were playing here tonight." Bynn replied, smiling.

"Nor did I! It was a last minute thing." George smiled at Lia, waving. "Hello Lia. You look amazing, just figured I say. Mister over here seems itching to dance, so I'll let you go." he laughed, as did Bynn. "Anyway, I have to go, break's only five minutes and I promised Kiana a dance." he winked at the two before heading off in the general direction of the bar.

Bynn turned to Lia, laughing quietly. "So... May I have this dance?"

"Thanks George." I said nicely. And I looked upbeat Bynn when he walked away. "Yes... You may.." I said, and I took his hand, and led him to the dance floor. When we started to dance, I was a little rusty, but soon got the hang of it.. I looked into his eyes, and smiled.. My cheeks were red, I knew that for sure.. "Youre really good at this dance.. I'm such a noob." I said with a chuckle. Wow, he looked really hot, if I should say, his hair back, so you could see his eyes. I could easily get lost in them..

"Ah, not a noob. A noob would be constantly looking down at their feet and stepping on my feet still. You've graduated from that stage, Lia." he chuckled lowly, carefully leading her through the small crowd of people on the dance floor, swaying and spinning in the simple waltz box. He gently lifted the hand that the woman was holding, the gesture that meant that he was going to spin her. The song was ending anyway, so why not end with a little dramatic twist?

"You're getting better." he said. "Maybe if we keep coming out to dance like this, you'll get even better- maybe better enough to become my dance partner." A mischievous gleam in his eye- quite obviously an attempt at trying to poke at the possibility of Lia having any interest in having more... outings like this.

I smiled, and nodded. "Thanks, and yes. We will need to do this more." I said, and I felt my cheeks blush slightly. I sat down at an unoccupied table, and I looked up at him. We liked a lot of the same things, but some different, he liked ballroom dancing, and different music than I. I was more of a rocker, into AC/DC and Guns N Roses, Def Leopard.. So on, and so forth. "The dancing was fun." I added. "Next time, we should go to the Hard Rock Cafe. Then, here again. Or, whatever." I said.

He sat down as well, after pulling out her chair and pushing it forward, as any good gentleman would. Bynn shrugged at the idea as the girl spoke, finding it to be something that he would consider. He liked the atmosphere there, and he didn't mind it too much.

"That sounds like it would be fun. And it's right in downtown, so there are things we could do before or after eating there?" The question was really only a question because he was slightly unsure about what she would like to do. Of course, they had been friends, but the chatter that they have shared seemed to have been hinting at possibly something... more? Different? He wasn't so sure himself.

"So, should we order dinner?" he asked after clearing his throat. He picked up a menu and flipped through it, finding that he had a hankering for a good salad.

"Yeah, its by the new museum." I said. And I looked at the menu also. I settled for a cesar salad. They were really good here. When I ordered, I got a Sprite as my drink. I looked across the small table at Bynn. This was really fun so far, and honestly the first date I've been on. After this, did this mean we were boyfriend and girlfriend? Well, I'd ask after. I hoped that there would be something real between us. I mean there was, but not boyfriend girlfriend related. "So, you exited for Georges wedding?" I asked him, this was something to talk abput.

"A water and a Hawaiian salad." He folded up the menu when the order was taken and handed it to the waiter, who scurried off. He watched as Lia sat in a moment of silence before she said something that surprised him some.

"Oh? George's wedding? Yeah, sure. I'm happy for the guy." he smiled lightly before letting his eyes go down cast to his neatly folded hands on the table.

"So..." he said quietly, obviously seeming a bit awkward.

"That's nice." I said, and I took another drink. "You must be honored to be the best man." I added. I looked up, and I smiled as the wait or brought us our salads. "Thank you." I said, and I took a bite, yep.. Amazing. I hoped that I was not being a bad date. I felt I was being boring. Since we've known each other for a long time, its not like we had anything that new to talk about, we knew everything about each other. "I have a client tomorrow, I emailed my boss my sketches and she printed them, and out them on my desk. A customer noticed, and wanted a tattoo of the heart one i did.. So I have a new client tomorrow .." I said.

"Ah. Well, I'm actually going to be stayin-" His phone vibrated from his butt pocket. He jumped, startled by the device before pulling it out and flipping it open. It was the main office.

"Oh, shit. I have to take this, Lia. I'll be right back, I promise." he said, almost too excitedly. He stood up quickly and nearly tripped over his own feet as he escaped the room and went outside to the quiet air. He pressed the green button and answered.

"Hello?" The person on the other side of the phone had no time to waste. They quickly relayed to Bynn what was going to happen and when.

Especially when there was a flight to Japan involved.

Bynn hung up after everything was over with a couple minutes later before heading back inside, his eyes wide with shock. He sat back down and stared at Lia with eyes the size of saucers.

"I... I just got invited to go to a convention in Japan. To speak as head art directer." he said, his voice small. He had just been pushed into it, no questions asked. "I went from character designer to... art director." a giant improvement in his job.

"Holy hell..." he whispered.

I nodded, when he had to take the call. I waited for him to return quietly. I took a drink of my soda and I looked up as he returned. His eyes were big. Was he alright? What happened? He looked shocked, but exited at the same time. "That's awesome!" I said. In Japan? That is pretty far. And Art Director? That's really good! Right? "When will you go? Are you exited?" I hoped that everything would go well in Japan. This job was perfect for him. I wish I could make a huge improvement like that in my job. Like.. Manager at my own store. I would look at locations starting tomorrow.

"It is a permanent position that will require me to possibly stay in Japan. They're saying I might be able to go back and forth from there every two weeks or so. I'd be away a lot and.... and then..." he bit down hard on his bottom lip shaking his head. He stayed quiet for a moment before finally looking up at the woman in front of him.

"I would have to be away from you a lot." He reached forward and took his cup, pulling it towards him to take a long sip from it.

I felt my heart sink a little.. Stay in Japan? See him..Every two weeks?.. I honestly didn't know what to say. I was happy for him.. But, it wouldn't be the same without him. "You're.. Going to move to Japan?..." I said. It was still sinking in. The relationship couldn't work.. Just when I thought things would be great, he says he moving to Japan. I wanted him to be happy though, maybe he would be better off in Japan. Maybe he would find someone there better for him. I swallowed hard and looked down. "Well.. I hope things work out good for you there." I said, trying to stay positive.

"They said that I'd be able to come back and forth though. I mean, things could work out in both places, right?" His hands were pulled together to interlace carefully. "Lia..." he looked down and off to the side.

I looked back up at him. "Yeah.. I guess we could try. But.. You'll probably find someone better in Japan.." I said softly. "When are you going?" I asked him. He wouldn't be around as much.. What would I do? Probably work more. I would have to find more people to hang out with, I was very shy sometimes, so that could be a little hard. "I'm happy for you, I really am." I reassured him. I hoped that he wouldn't leave for a bit though, I wanted to still spend time with him before he left.

"Why the hell..." he shook his head, knowing that the conversation wouldn't get far if the question was asked.

"I leave on Monday." He relinquished his grip from his hands and started to fidget. The salads were dropped off with a hope that they enjoy the food. Bynn didn't even lift his gaze or his hand to start eating. Shock still riddled his mind and body, and his hunger had suddenly dwindled.

It was only Friday.. I looked up as the wait or brought the salads. "Thank you." I said, and I tool a drink of my soda, then I started to eat my salad. My hunger had also been lifted a little. I would still eat though. "Monday.." I said, to break the long silence. Why did they have to call him during our first date? They couldn't have waited a couple more hours? We only had a couple days.. Maybe just one, he would have to pack and what not. I ate about half my salad before I didn't want to eat anymore. I tried to not let the sadness show in my features. This was a date.. I needed to be happy.

Bynn lifted up his fork and started to move around his food.

"I could probably take you with me on this first trip. Say you're a consultant of mine." he said, trying to lighten up the mood. He could actually do that- and while they'd follow along reluctantly, it would still get done.

"And I'm serious about that, Lia. It'd be fun." he smiled meekly.

I raised my eyebrow at the thought. He could do that? I nodded. "Yes, I think that would be fun." I said, I felt a grin dancing on my lips now. "How long would I stay?" I asked. I would have to let the shop know ahead of time, well. Kinda. I instantly felt a little better, but he is still moving there. At least I'll get more time with him.

"As long as you want. I'd probably be able to get you a ticket whenever you want to come over anyway." That seemed to catch her attention. "They'd probably put a limit on it: once a month or so." he pulled a fork-full of lettuce to his mouth and chewed on it.

I smiled. "This could work out.. I should probably stay.. Maybe for 3 days." I said. We talked more about it for about 10 more minuets. "Tonight has been pretty good, I really enjoyed this. Thank you.." I told him. It really was nice, the dancing, salad, and just knowing that I was in a date with him. Life was going pretty well, I thought.. We could find a way to work out the relationship.

This? Oh, we're really going to make this work. I've put too much effort into this not to have it work. He smiled politely.

"Oh, no. I should be thanking you, Lia. I'm glad I could have your company for the night, so it should be me saying 'thank you'." Bynn leaned back in his seat, recovering from the intensiveness of the talk about the trip to Japan. He sighed and looked back at the waitress, raising a hand and nodding, calling for her to come back.

"Could we get a tiramisu?" he asked, an eyebrow quirked up. The waitress nodded before turning to Lia.

"And you, miss?" she asked.

(That's an Italian desert, right? Forgive me if I respond .)

I smiled at him, and felt my cheeks blush slightly. I smiled at the waitress and nodded. "I'll have the same." I said and I took a drink of my sprite. When she nodded, and walked away I looked around the place. And at Bynn across the table. It was still sinking in that this was a date. I never saw us being more than friends, but I guess dreams come true., right?