Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First RP You've ever played?

First RP You've ever played?

I'm curious to know, I'm a nosy nosy person.

- What was the first style of RP you ever played? (like, was it over the internet freeform, tabletop, chat?)
    - And where? (chat is, obviously, chat, but maybe it was over IRC, or IM, or something like that, email, forums, groups?)
    - Do you still remember and/or use your first character?

If applicable:
    - What was the first tabletop (rp) game you played?
    - What was the first internet (rp) game you played?
    - How about your first chat game? Where was it on?

I'll go ahead and answer for myself to get us all started:
    - What was the first style of RP you ever played?
    It was over the internet.

- And where?
    Good old egroups/mailing lists.

Yes, in fact, I still use him. I don't remember his original name but I do remember that I'd made him a shy librarian lol, now I use a heavily modified and evolved version of him that hardly resembles that old guy.

Aquelarre Love that game. Played it at a con.
    Umh, something with "chains" in the name, I don't remember..
    Long ago, with a girl from the first RP group I ever made, over IM.

(ooc)

Internet Forum
    - And where?
    In no way can I fully remember, but I'm pretty sure it was way back when I first started Gaia in 8th grade.
    I remember her vaguely. She was an original character I made, her hair was pin straight and bleached with green streaks in it, wore a [insert my favorite band at the time] black tank top, camo cargo shorts and always skateboarded wherever she went. In my eyes she was the coolest persona I could ever be. I haven't played as a character like that in a while, but I think it's because I grew out of skateboarding and name dropping my favorite bands. I still like using the angsty personal from time to time but she is long gone in the past. Oh! I do remember her last name was Blaque.
    Heroscape, very recently. I have an uncle who introduced the game to me.
    Some University Game where you could play as students or teachers. It's a fun drama, friendship, romance genre for me that I've always enjoyed playing. It's relaxing.
    My first chat game was over AIM with my best friend! It was our own private fan fic, we played a cooler version of ourselves along with our favorite musicians.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

- What was the first style of RP you ever played? (like, was it over the internet freeform, tabletop, chat?)
    My first was in a chat room. xD

- And where?
    That's a little more difficult to answer. xD It was either a web chatroom (WBS.net I think it was called) or IRC, depending if you call my half-IC, half-OOC attempts in a casual chatroom "roleplaying" or not.

If the web chat: no. Not really. I know that one involved a dragon, but I don't remember in one context.
    If the IRC: Yes, I remember my first character. xD I wrote fanfiction for a particular cartoon for her before I re-wrote her for the rpg. I don't still write or play her, though I do have a half-finished epic fanfiction that sort of made a hybrid of the original fic version and rp version, I haven't worked on it in ages. I doubt I'd ever RP as her again. Her run in the rpg was excellent and I'd be lying if I pretended reviving her in another direct form would be the same.

If you mean what was the first one I played online... "SKRPG" - SWAT Kats RPG. xD (Since it's the first one that had a true story to it.)
    If you mean a MMO, the first one I think I had my own account and full version for was World of Warcraft. (I'd done a few trials of MMOs before that.)
    If you didn't mean either, I dunno. >_>;
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Good old Dungeons and Dragons when I was eight years old. I grew up with my parents, my uncle, and all of their friends playing so being allowed to rp as well was a sort of rite of passage.

- And where? (chat is, obviously, chat, but maybe it was over IRC, or IM, or something like that, email, forums, groups?)
    in my dining room >.>

Yus! He was a little cleric with "per" were wolf as a companion. I don't play him any more, but I have a tenancy to give my characters pets or companions and I think that comes from my earliest role playing memories.

- What was the first tabletop (rp) game you played? We already covered that, I was playing table top before the internet was very accessible to most people. (think '92 >.< The internet existed, but really wasn't accessible to the general public in the way it is now.)

If you mean MMO, Balder's Gate online (oh my gosh, this was back in the time when internet charged by the minute and I used to sneak on to the computer to play lol. I got in so much trouble when my parents found out).

My first text based role play online was on Cheetachat. Gosh I loved that place, no one seems to remember it any more though.

It was on Cheetachat and I played a vampire with the power of illusion. He had many followers, friends and enemies, but his world was more lie than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    Good old Dungeons and Dragons when I was eight years old. I grew up with my parents, my uncle, and all of their friends playing so being allowed to rp as well was a sort of rite of passage.
    I want your family. XDDD Last time I told my dad I was leaving at 8pm and expected to be out all night for an RP session, I spent the next hour trying to explain what an RP session was. XD (The attempt, by the way, was a failure)

(ooc)

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Internet Forum
    Heroscape, very recently. I have an uncle who introduced the game to me.
    I love that game. It's not heavy into role playing unless you make it so, but the way the characters line up with the terrain is so much fun. I've built some really complicated maps ^.^!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiel View Post
    I want your family. XDDD Last time I told my dad I was leaving at 8pm and expected to be out all night for an RP session, I spent the next hour trying to explain what an RP session was. XD (The attempt, by the way, was a failure)
    Ha ha ya my family is insane but I love them. These were the same people that when I was failing at reading handed me adult books and said go at it. My parents don't role play much any more, but my mom was trying to talk me into giving her the link to this place -.- lol.

My first was probably a Lord of the Rings RP on the Neopets forum. I was so cool.

I remember joining a guild there and having a lot of fun for the first few weeks, then slowly realizing that the people I was RPing with were absolutely horrid storytellers. One scene that sticks out in my mind was when our Fellowship of the Ring had reached the outer door of Moria's Mines and the lake monster emerged. I was all set for our first epic battle scene when a girl typed out a short post like:

"[Elf's name] transformed into a mighty griffin and attacked the monster until it died. She returned to the party. 'That felt weird,' she said."

Yeeeeah, that was when I started looking into the different styles of RP and found some people I was more compatible with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    My parents don't role play much any more, but my mom was trying to talk me into giving her the link to this place -.- lol.
    Haha, yeah I got to read grown-up books too when I was little. XD (and watch grown up movies if "I thought I could handle them" <-cannot watch Critters now without looking under her bed afterward lol, for the rest, I grew up pretty well I think :P)
    And aww, let your mom have the link! Share share! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
    "[Elf's name] transformed into a mighty griffin and attacked the monster until it died. She returned to the party. 'That felt weird,' she said."

Yeeeeah, that was when I started looking into the different styles of RP and found some people I was more compatible with.
    loool, that was fantastic. Sounds like my ex's first tabletop game, in a very friendly tavern, right after walking in: "I grab my sword and kill everyone! "

(ooc)

What was the first style of RP you ever played?

Oh gosh, it must have been a very undeveloped group rp. Most likely with a plot that could be surmised as, "fantasy forest with elves and stuff." The development didn't really go past that point. We walked, we talked, we slayed some dragons. I did that same sort of group rp for months on repeat- most likely using the same single-faceted character. Oh, and I probably capitalized and punctuated very little, if at all.

And where?

I started as a kid, probably nine or so, trolling the Neopets forums once I realized that I could register a different age ( in order to post on the forums) without a police force breaking down my door for fraud.

Do you still remember and/or use your first character?

Sadly. She wasn't that bad, really she wasn't, she's just not my style anymore. She was a pre-teen girl with blonde hair in twintails and brown eyes. Her name was Elody and she had some sort of power, though I forget exactly what kind. Anyway, I was still sort of in the whole phase of, "I play a girl because I am a girl", and hadn't yet discovered the joy of playing male characters. It's most likely she was also a sue, but whatever.

What was the first tabletop (rp) game you played?

Oh gosh. Very recently, I got convinced by a friend of mine. In all honestly, I didn't take it very seriously- he probably didn't appreciate my mage with "+5 sexy". Maybe someday I'll play for real, but for now I'll stick to the forums. Hehe.

How about your first chat game? Where was it on?

Looooong ago with a friend I gained on the Neopets forums. When I quit the site we decided to keep up with e-mail, but when that wasn't working we switched to IM. We're still friends after seven years, though our rp styles are now much too different to be very compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by onestar View Post
    I started as a kid, probably nine or so, trolling the Neopets forums once I realized that I could register a different age ( in order to post on the forums) without a police force breaking down my door for fraud.
    Hooray for Neopets!

*high five*

Hooray for Neopets!

*high five*
    Yeah, kinship!

'Cause no one knows how to forum crawl like Neopets alumni. XD

A House RP which I can dig up on Gaiaonline and link to for your amusement.

It's like 80 pages or so of pic dropping and the sorts. And randomness but really funny.

gaiaonline.com/forum/chatterbox/house-paging-dr-house/t.48915719_1/

This was originally in the General Discussion section but Soundblast moved it long ago. When that fool was a mod.

Reoccurring NPC
    It was a free form fight club style RP that my friends were playing when I was in high school. The first time I ever joined a forum was to play with them during class. It was quite fun, considering it was just a beat up fest with no coherent story or rules. It was just who could beat who up in the most fantastic way.
    - And where?
    I want to say it was in the White Wolf forums, it must have been deleted though. I would be able to find it if it still existed, seeing as I have always used the same user-name.
    Jonath Nell, yeah, I use him when I can. It has been a while since I have played him... I think it was the last time I actually played a character in someone else's RP. That was back when I still hung around on Gaia online. I do like to use him if I can, which is not to hard since he is a reality jumper. I just change him a little and he will fit in any RP.

D&D 3.5 It was only a few years ago now when I was still in collage.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nanaki's Avatar
    First Style?
    Internet

Where?
    Neopets (So glad I'm not the only one who started there XD). It was a stuck in an elevator rp by the way and I'm pretty sure the elevator was an octagon or something cause there were between six and ten people and everyone was in a corner. XD It actually had an end too, the world exploded and we all fell into the endless void of nothingness. It was hilarious.

Do I still have or use that character?
    No, sadly she was too Mary-Sue to be saved and I had to have her humanely euthanize. I barely remember her anyway except that she was horribly desperate for attention.
    Most people see the world as right side up, I prefer the left side.

"Don't worry, you'll like denial... it tastes like bacon" The quote that made me fear for my sanity...

I think my psyche's broken!

This just got two steps too freaky...

If you ever find a genie, wish for more genies, not more wishes. Wish to nullify the rules, and never, ever, wish your characters to life. It'll end bad... trust me.

I'm pretty sure the elevator was an octagon or something cause there were between six and ten people and everyone was in a corner.
    Oh my goodness, remember these. That or the old classes, "stuck in a mall after closing time." Neopets had oddly specific RPs. XD
    STA

I played my very first RP with my brother. I barely could read and write back then and my brother, who is some years older, had heard about RPing from his friends. I am not sure how he tricked me into it (either by threatening or bribing) but I remember not being interested about the idea too much.

I am not completely sure what was our first RP since we started bunches and bunches of games and still play seldomly. It was either one in notepad, where I had multiple choises to choose from and my brother wrote what happened after my selection. I remember fighting against man sized rats that were stealing my food supplies. I was some random female character.
    Other candidate for first RP was also fantasy and it had horde of Notepads open at the same time, all telling something obviously crucial about the game (inventory, the game itself, stats, location etc.). In this one my first characters were twins that were learning to be sorcerers or something. I also had friendly thief called Larde, which I'm stilling looking forward to bring back to life some day as he was great fun to play with.

First game I ever played in the internet was in... Somewhere. I honestly can't remember. I only remember that fantasy games were all the rage back then and only the most suspicious people made pairing RPs, which amuses me today.
    First chat RP (or "charr(i)" as I have learnt to call them) I had on some odd chat at library's computer. The people I tried to charr with were mainly unable to do anything else than munch and autohit.

There's the short version of my RPing history. It also explains why I never have got accustomed to pairing roleplays...
    It hurts my eyes and heart to see what sort of things they play on some sites and what is considered as "roleplaying" in many of the cases.

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

This is a difficult question. I've been seriously roleplaying with other people for about a year and that was over the Internet. Before that I played RPG's on game consoles/computers. Never tried tabletop but I would like too. I did some roleplay in Star Trek via chat too.

Chat, MMORPG, Console games, Computer games, Sites, Browser games.

My first character ever? No, I don't. I don't even remember the name. It hasn't affected my other roleplays. Later characters have made me prefer mages or people with mage-like abilities though.

If applicable:
    N/A

RuneEscape.

Star Trek Simulation Forum.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gess Jahd View Post
    There's the short version of my RPing history. It also explains why I never have got accustomed to pairing roleplays...
    It hurts my eyes and heart to see what sort of things they play on some sites and what is considered as "roleplaying" in many of the cases.
    What is "pairing roleplays"?
    What'd you mean with [...]what sort of things they play on some sites and what is considered as "roleplaying"[...]? Does people nowadays roleplay in a way that isn't roleplay? I know of drama, stealing boyfriends and other shit from Twitter roleplay. Could you elaborate your thoughs on the matter?
    Last edited by Brook V; 06-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.

I understand "pairing roleplays" as the RPs where people only want their characters to end up together and doing more or less rated things. I'm fine with it if it has some other ideas aswell, RP not being played just for the chance to get to write awkward scenes. Unfortunately for me this is often the case. For example plot being "girl is training hard for local karate competition and falls in love with her sensei in the way" is way more interesting for me than "girl falls for hot karate sensei".

Written roleplaying has become a lot more popular than it used to be. Back in the day only "geeks and nerds" did it. Nowadays when internet and all sorts of forum sites are a lot easier to access, you find a lot more players of different ages and interests. This is good in the way that RPing is more accepted and you find people to play with you. The negative side is that for many decorating your post and having the hottest character with RP girl- or boyfriend is the main thing. Many can't even construct a single coherent sentence in middle of all that and for outsiders forum RPing shows out wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gess Jahd View Post
    I understand "pairing roleplays" as the RPs where people only want their characters to end up together and doing more or less rated things. I'm fine with it if it has some other ideas aswell, RP not being played just for the chance to get to write awkward scenes. Unfortunately for me this is often the case. For example plot being "girl is training hard for local karate competition and falls in love with her sensei in the way" is way more interesting for me than "girl falls for hot karate sensei".

Written roleplaying has become a lot more popular than it used to be. Back in the day only "geeks and nerds" did it. Nowadays when internet and all sorts of forum sites are a lot easier to access, you find a lot more players of different ages and interests. This is good in the way that RPing is more accepted and you find people to play with you. The negative side is that for many decorating your post and having the hottest character with RP girl- or boyfriend is the main thing. Many can't even construct a single coherent sentence in middle of all that and for outsiders forum RPing shows out wrong.
    Thanks for explaining. I agree with you.

I also agree. xD

/random comment from the ether
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Usually I get just yelled at and accused from "not accepting mature RPs", even when I have nothing against them. o.o''

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with my views.

It was an internet freeforum roleplay.

The forums on Neopets. =3

I remember my first character quite clearly, but I don't use her anymore. She had a light brown bob, blue eyes, and constantly wore blue denim (vest/jeans). Her name was Yu and she was an obnoxious tomboy. I picked the name Yu just because I thought it was hilarious for people to say "Hey you" and have her react as if they were talking to her.

A Fullmetal Alchemist roleplay. I played Roy and my character Yu. xD Hah. Oh I kinda miss my naive, carefree days of roleplay.
    "The bittersweet tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
    Harriet Beecher Stowe

Reoccurring NPC S h i n ` K ! S S E S's Avatar

That would be internet forum roleplay. <3

- And where?

Gaiaonline, in the Commerce. It would be about six years ago now? I remember it was a place called the Moon Light Bar and Inn. We were the youngest, noobliest bunch you ever did see. It was actually there that I got the name Shin, though! Heh, I actually still hang out in the Gaia Commerce, but with a much different crowd these days.

I definitely still remember her. Her name was originally Shidobu, and she was just an incompetent teenager that started working at this inn and then got turned into a vampire by one of the patrons. She was eventually renamed 'Shin' by another one of the patrons, and the name stuck. A whole lot of silliness and hilarity ensued in that place, and sometimes I actually go back to that thread and OOC with a couple of the people from way back when.

I don't really play the character anymore, but the name really stuck with me. She became a completely different character - a little girl vampire, (very Claudia-esque) whom I actually do use still. A completely different character though, just with the same name. <3

If applicable:

3.5e Dungeons and Dragons. My boyfriend (just a friend at the time) was an experienced DM and got a group of us together at school and we started playing. We began with a zombie-invasion style of game, that was heavily modified rules to cater for beginners. But now we have been playing our regular swords-and-sorcery style 3.5e campaign for almost two years. We also frequently try other systems lately. We've played DnD, Pathfinder, World of Darkness' Vampire, Don't Rest Your Head, BESM... It's really fun! Mostly we stick with d20 based systems.

I'm just going to talk MMO because I already reminisced about my first online RP. xD

It was probably Runescape, but I didn't really enjoy it a whole lot. I occasionally play WoW (free server) or some smaller MMO's (There's a really neat .HACK one out there!) but I don't really have the time for it lately. I want to look into RIFT~Planes of Telara though.

First chat game was over MSN with my boyfriend. He was DMing an online DnD campaign, which I became a part of. Now I'm actually GMing my own Pathfinder game online via MSN a year later. How I've grown! >w<
    Last edited by S h i n ` K ! S S E S; 07-07-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Over the interwebs of course ^3^

Gaiaonline and IM.

Of course! My first character was Megumi Hatamashi. She was a love interest to Sesshomaru (I used to do A LOT of Inuyasha fan-fics) I still have her as one of my main characters that I play with. I've also written some stories as well.

*Sits and ponders for a bit* Well...I've played some MMO's here and there...But a TRUE RP internet game? Dunno if this counts but...There is a modification program for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas called Multi Theft Auto. It basically formats the game to partake in server activities with a huge amount of people. There's a server strictly for roleplaying that I won't advertise, but I've posted a screenshot of epicness: http://i53.tinypic.com/2qs046a.jpg I've spent almost 750 hours playing there lol. ^_^''

IM and through E-Mail. But that didn't last very long.

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    First one I played was an internet rp.
    Meh. It was on GaiaOnline. Its ridiculous now, so I quit.
    Goodness, yeah I do. Her name was Maya, a Marine Biology student. Somebody else owned the character and when she didn't play, I took over the character and role played 1 sentence at a time. =_= I look back at it now, and I think, Boy, I was pathetic.. She was a cool charatcer, but was not so very developed.
    And no.
    I don't use that character any more.

If applicable:
    It was in fact... 4 weekends ago. It was D&D. It was fun.
    Some kind of rp where our characters were on a boat for a school -like thingie. It was on Gaia.
    First chat game was with my friend, XDSmart on Yahoo Messenger. She has a character, Minerva who's my character's best friend- Mynt. And he just came back from a gene test that has to do with some sort of kitty. ^w^

Quote Originally Posted by S h i n ` K ! S S E S View Post

3.5e Dungeons and Dragons. My boyfriend (just a friend at the time) was an experienced DM and got a group of us together at school and we started playing. We began with a zombie-invasion style of game, that was heavily modified rules to cater for beginners. But now we have been playing our regular swords-and-sorcery style 3.5e campaign for almost two years. We also frequently try other systems lately. We've played DnD, Pathfinder, World of Darkness' Vampire, Don't Rest Your Head, BESM... It's really fun! Mostly we stick with d20 based systems.
    3.5 is an awesome system, but I love pathfinder even more, i think. I missed some of the monsters at first (like the ilithid (sp?) but a few friends and i sat down and converted them from 3.5 to pathfinder n.n)

I own the BESM books but sadly never got a real group up. At one point I was going to run a Slayers! style game (the system is so made for doing that) but all but one of the players flaked on me >.<

If you like fun and silly table tops game, you should check out Goblins ate my baby! ("All Hail King Torg!!")

btw I need to get back to you over pm, I know it, but today has been a looong day! (got up at 5:30 am my time and just got home at ten pm)

Chat I think... or it may have been Dakkar or Runescape or maybe a MUDD one...

for chat is was msn chats
    I think the MUDD one was a pokemon one

No I don't use... yes I remember the character since it was my "Internet Self" that I used... nice crazy pool girl named Amy is the character.

N/A

Dream Herds, an interesting rp where you rped as wild horses... it was on msn groups. Made some interesting friends there.. only keep up with about two or three of them now though.

either msn chatrooms or the MUDD client

----------===========----------

I'm bored and in pain from bowling yesterday so I'm gonna do this.
    Want to rp? Send me a PM!

Story of Us a small town slice of fantasy life.
    Shichiyou Academy is Adult Rated School.

Wow, reading some of these posts makes me feel ooooold.

What was the first style of RP you ever played?
    I am old school (and just old compared to a lot of people around here I think), so I started off with tabletop. I had my bag o' dice and pencils and everything.

And where?
    Well, back in the early 90's there wasn't much of an internet- so we actually had to interact with people to roleplay.

Do you still remember and/or use your first character?
    Vaguely. It was long ago... I recall that it was a Changeling.

What was the first tabletop (rp) game you played?
    I started with Palladium. I even still play it. I also played original D&D (you know, before there were number attached to it or AD&D).

What was the first internet (rp) game you played?
    Back when the internet was new, we had text based roleplaying games. They are still around of course, but most people play the fancy ones now. I am still a text-based person. The first one I played is called Revenge of the Jedi (it is still going strong). Then I played one that was more RP than hack n' slash- Feudal Realms.

I own the BESM books but sadly never got a real group up. At one point I was going to run a Slayers! style game (the system is so made for doing that) but all but one of the players flaked on me >.<
    I have these books too. I actually find the Sailor Moon RPG to be stupidly fun and silly. Especially when people are sitting around shouting their transformations and attacks. Lots of silly fun.
    Last edited by Utopia; 07-19-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added soemthing

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post

I have these books too. I actually find the Sailor Moon RPG to be stupidly fun and silly. Especially when people are sitting around shouting their transformations and attacks. Lots of silly fun.
    Woot, yay for us old school role players! Never thought of doing sailor moon, but your desc reminds me of the game "Kobolds ate my baby!" (All Hail King Torg!) Ha ha that game included lots of yelling and acting out of things and such.

I read a bit about Dungeons & Dragons. I thought it sounded cool. Now I need someone to play with... and a set to do it with.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"