Login to your account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the last book you read, and what's your current read?

I have always considered books like the Dresden files to be "Popcorn Books". Not really food, but filling and fun to eat. I think the Macaroni & Cheese metaphor fits as well. Not exactly brain food, but it can be so darn satisfying.

I have been reading a Steampunk-ish series as well. They go by the Parasol Protectorate series. They are pretty fun.

Today I think I am going to read some more 'high brow' literature. I have a number of classics I have been meaning to read (or re-read as the case may be). I have challenged myself to read Moby Dick. I have tried to read this POS several times now and it has always been a struggle for me to get past the first few chapters. I find Melville to be, quite frankly, a terrible writer. The book has little focus and direction and at times just launches into chapters of asides (much like Atlas Shrugged). But, I have a goal and it is to finish Moby Dick.

I find this to be pathetic considering that I have read War and Peace and countless other 'daunting' classics and enjoyed them.
    Last edited by Utopia; 07-21-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: More Babble

Ha ha ha I read Moby Dick in high school (for an a.p. class, we had to read the whole thing u.u) So I totally hear you on that one. Two secrets, audio. Listening to daunting books is much easier than reading them. that is how I finally completed (with full understanding) Dante's Inferno. Second, and this may be even more important. Did you know books like Moby dick were serialized. I mean like modern day menga are. They would release them chapter at a time in magazine like books, one every few months (I believe quarterly, but don't quote me on that). So, read it like an anthology, expect the chapters to bounce around like a comic book or menga. Take breaks of several days between chapters and the like.

I read way more 'popcorn' books than classics, but I honestly prefer them over most classics. Even The Red Badge of Courage is low in my taste of stories, i hated to protagonist from the beginning right through the end. Give me Dresden or Xanth any day over Bartleby lol.

I'm currently reading The Stolen Throne by David Gaider.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Humble Farmer With a Sword Petrichora's Avatar
    I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.
    While I was waiting. . . I ate your lunch.

@Petrichora Bahh that's on my list to read! x-x;; and to watch as well, if ever I get around to it. Is it any good?

IMHO A Game of Thrones (and what I've read so far of A Song of Ice and Fire) is good in parts. XD Because the 'chapters' are all by character, you will more than likely find yourself more interested in only a certain thread of characters rather than all. At least that's how I felt- interested in a few characters and finding the others boring. It was a good balance, and it made the book good, but didn't make it my favorite because of it.

The tv show for it is good too, but I think you need to have an idea of the world first to better enjoy it. (I watched part without having read anything, and part after reading it, and it made a lot more sense).

(ooc)

I agree with Tahiel. I do find myself disappointed when it ends up being certain character's chapters. But overall, I do like it. I mean, I haven't actually stuck with a book in a while, but I haven't put this one down yet.

And, I really want to see the tv show, too.

A lot of fantasy books (especially books that are series) go by the "this chapter is from X character's point of view" method. War and spy novels also do that a lot (like Tom Clancy's works).

Overall, I do like that method, as it allows the author to tell the story from a perspective that will be the most interesting/entertaining to read from or tell aspects of the story that would otherwise not be able to be told because of the limited knowledge of the other character(s) in the story.

However, if you're not at all interested in some of the other characters a story is told from, it can be a chore to slog through those bits while you wait impatiently for more from [insert more interesting character here]'s pov.

Whenever I work on my novels, I'll probably do that same technique, depending on the series. For instance, there's one series of novels where the books are "about" a specific character, so it'll follow things nearly entirely from her perspective, or from a limited narrator's perspective (see also: the Harry Potter novel series). But novels with a more ensemble cast will probably offer more points of view, limited to the most major characters in most cases.

But I'm babbling. (As always. )
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Oh, of course, Maneki. When there are so many characters and none of them are in the same location, then it definitely makes sense to have many perspectives. And it can make for a great story. I think it all just depends on what the reader likes. There are going to be parts in most books that are a little more boring than others.

I do like the method, too. In fact, I've considered it with some of my writing. Everything you've said makes total sense.

Bahhh xD I've been too busy to respond properly. Despite the scatter of characters, I think I'd still like it. To be honest, I do that with roleplaying and and writing as it is. Granted, with roleplaying it depends on how many characters I'm playing, and how and when their roles come into the storyline. The only one I really go all out on that with though is Nyan Cat xD. I find for series that are from a limited perspective I have a tendency to get bored. Whereas series, or novels that mold the story around more than one character seems to hold my interest longer. Even if I dislike the characters xD.

Last edited by Strude; 08-17-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strude View Post

I have a HUGE list of books I am in the middle of read and an equally as long list of books I need to read eventually! XD
    Same here.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Cool

I just finished the latest Dresden Files book Ghost Stories......Man that was a trip I love these books I want the next one NOW!
    Currently reading the last Redwall book: Rouge Crew That is one author who made alot of my days in childhood

What was the last book you read, and how did you like it? Cover to cover would have been Warcraft: War of the Ancients Archive, which is three books in one, and I loved it. Seriously, love it and could put it down but I'm a bit of a Warcraft junkie at times and the novels are just golden for me. > w <

What book are you currently reading, and how are you liking it? Current, right this second, read is A Song of Ice and Fire series, book one: Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I seriously LOVE it, I mean I don't tend to read books I do not enjoy it would defeat the purpose eh. However, I really get some serious enjoyment out of Game of Thrones. I'm watching the show too, on my livestream if anyone is interested. The books get a 12/10 from me, as does the show. > w <

Otherwise, I'm reading a big old pile of books. I have a terrible tendency to start books and finish them months, to a year or more later. I usually stick to, cover to cover, the books I really love and then those that don't hold my interest as well I tend to let pile up. I'm so terrible for it! XD

-_______- I'm pretty sure it was my college Organic Chemistry textbook. ^^; It was an interesting read. It helped me get a 98.84 in the class.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I just started reading Edge Of Destiny by J. Robert King. It's a book based on Guild Wars, and due to my current excitement for the game I had to pick it up - despite not usually being able to get through big girl books. (One's without pictures.) So far, it's kept my attention - and I keep picking it up so it must be good! I'll keep checking in though to tell you more about the little band of heroes I'm reading about.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Something Happened by Joesph Heller.

I'm only about fifty pages in, but I LOVE this book already. The narrative - so excellent.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

I finally found a complete copy of Pearl S Buck's House of Earth book series in a second-hand shop this weekend. Everyone and their mother has read The Good Earth, but it's impossible to ever find the other two books: Sons and A House Divided. I'm really looking forward to sitting down with this collection and finally learning how the story ends!

Humble Farmer With a Sword MarineViolet's Avatar
    Land of Rocks and Dust (the midwest United States)
    I just finished a book called Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. Dude. For a debut novel, that is the best thing I've read in a long time. I loved it in many ways, especially since it's a zombie romance novel. Yes, a zombie romance. It went a little fast from the climax to the end, but besides that, an awesome read in my opinion. Right now, I'm reading A World Of Curiosities by John Oldale. It's a book about facts, but the plot is great XD.
    *is a filthy homestuck*
    Find me here!

I've always thought that "Many Waters" was the best book in that series. It focuses on the Twins and is entirely based on Biblical mythology. I actually wouldn't mind reading that one (or the whole series) again too.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Spielerische-Elfe's Avatar
    The last book I read was Book Thief! I love how the story started with Death's point of view. What's more reading this book is a good way to learning how to curse with German, I assume. The main character's mother kept calling her swine. XD (though I forgot the words already~~~ *is capable at forgetting things*) This novel is absolutely awesome, especially to History lovers like me! The story was set in Germany under Hitler's control. Since I suck at summarizing things, I'll quote from Amazon:
    It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.
    I'm not reading any book at the moment, but I will probably start Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google? soon. It encourages creative thinking and that's what I love. I wonder if I'll get smarter after reading it~~~ XD
    Last edited by Spielerische-Elfe; 08-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

You know, I've never actually read The Book Thief. It's one of those classic novels that just slipped past me as a kid. Some day I'll pick it up, some day, because everyone who reads it seems to love it to death. I don't like being out of the loop!

Quote Originally Posted by ISOS_Duke View Post
    You know what book I miss? A Wrinkle in Time, I should really read that book again.

I was thinking the same thing recently! I've always struggled with being able to actually focus on reading, but I remember A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first books I read in school that I actually enjoyed reading!

I think it was in... sixth grade, when we had those little blue books where you would try and interpret the information to later use in class discussion and I was SO into it. xD
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Nameless NPC
    I'm reading the ville review, A Natural Woman.
    Last edited by kikimi; 08-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Spielerische-Elfe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
    You know, I've never actually read The Book Thief. It's one of those classic novels that just slipped past me as a kid. Some day I'll pick it up, some day, because everyone who reads it seems to love it to death. I don't like being out of the loop!
    Aww that's great! It's certainly a fascinating book! X3

^Everyone either loves it to death or hates it! Some day I'll sit down and actually read through it. Some day...

I just finished reading "Encounter" by Milan Kundera. His non-fiction essaies are wonderful. I've added about a dozen books to my To Read list because he makes them sound so appealing and interesting. The only problem is that I doubt I'll have an easy time tracking them down.

Next, I'll be rereading 1776 by David McCullough. It's another classic, I'm actually excited to go through it again.