Login to your account

Thread: [TIPS] Grammar Help!

[TIPS] Grammar Help!

GRAMMAR GIRL

Grammar is important. It's really, really, really important. And because it is so important, I've decided to link the community to a really fun (and easy) site! It provides excellent references for problem situations (don't know why an M dash is for? Or need a refresher on semicolons?) and, overall, can help everyone take the next step in being better writers.

Granted, this is a creative writing community and, as the creative writing community is apt to say, grammar isn't always a top priority! That's just not true. I think that SOME liberties taken with the English language are acceptable, but it's a horrible mindset to have when you're still learning the basics.

Fact is, in the year that I have been on this site, I've encountered dozens and dozens of posts that are littered and filled with common errors! Some, you can attribute to typos (but, as a respected writer, why aren't you double-checking your writing more closely?) and, others, just make me sad.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect. Hell, I'm a far cry from having polished, errorless writing, but, as a community, I think we should strive to improve on our shortcomings. I'm still learning and, really, I would love it if the community grew with me as well. (:

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Who says grammar isn't important? D:

Commas are important. A comma is the difference between:

"Let's eat Grandma!" and "Let's eat, Grandma!" after all.
    If you were evil, then do evil.
    If you were good, did you regret it?
    Were you successful? Were you clever?
    When you wanted it, did you get it?
    Well, here's your chance, do it again. Do it through me, but it's still you sin.
    I want to taste it, no consequences.
    We'll give each other a second chance.