Login to your account

Thread: RE ▸ WIND ▸ active

RE ▸ WIND ▸ active

GENRE: SUPERNATURAL / CRIME / ACTION
    LEVEL: INTERMEDIATE
    RATING: PG-13

THE PREMISE: The game takes place in a modern day city and all of the characters are, effectively, "dead." Throughout the game, all characters will be asked to investigate "interesting and unusual" deaths, supernatural beings residing on Earth, and other miscellaneous tasks.

GM NOTE: The game primarily follows the group's investigation into human deaths that are not marked in the Timeline of Fate.

THE BACKGROUND: Most people, when they die, move onto the next stage of their journey—an Afterlife, if you will. They leave behind their Earthly memories and continue forward. This is natural and this is how things should be. But some people—filled with regret or guilt or resentment—don't move on; they can't move on. They stay tethered to their human lives and, for better or for worse, refuse to let go.

But a soul isn't meant to stay in the Crossroads for long.

If a soul is left to wander the Crossroads, the soul will, eventually, be transformed by the forces that govern and exist in the Crossroads. First, the soul's "string" will be cut and then, over time, the soul will lose its memories and identity. Its existence will be erased from the Timeline of Fate. In the end, it will become one of the forces of the Crossroads.

A transformed soul loses its power to continue its journey and is trapped in limbo.

Therefore, it is the job of the Spirit Guides to convince, persuade, or force unwilling souls to carry on. Most souls (if not all) will take the advice of the Spirit Guides and leave the Crossroads. But, once in a while, there will be a soul that insists on staying behind and no amount of persuasion or force can change their mind.

These souls are allowed to return to Earth, but on one condition: That they spend their mortal time serving the Death Gods. They become Death Investigators.

Death Investigators are "normal" human beings except for one major thing: They're dead.

GM NOTE: Death Investigators (DI) are given new bodies (which means new faces) and new identities. Other humans on Earth will perceive them as they are and not as they were.

THE STORY (THE SETUP): A new Death Investigator is awakened in modern day Tokyo, Japan and, before he can adjust to his new surroundings, he is caught in the middle of an on-going case involving a wanted vampire, a cursed candlestick, and his new colleagues.

Naturally, the case gets solved without too much fuss. The vampire is brought back to Hell (something of an Afterlife prison), the candlestick is returned to a strange antique store, and his new colleagues have the pleasure of meeting the proverbial new kid.

Obviously, this is going to be an interesting experience.

THE SETTING: This is a modern day game and, as such, the rules of technology and science will follow common day practices. The game will take place in Tokyo, Japan, but characters do not need to be of Japanese descent.

Moreover, living alongside humans (in secrecy) are supernatural beings. Supernatural beings are frequently disguised as normal humans, but there are some that take on the form of animals (domestic house cats, etc). For the most part, these beings are granted "resident permits" and are, therefore, considered to be "legal" tenants on Earth. But, just as there are illegal immigrants in the real world (citizens of one country sneaking into another country), there are supernatural beings who, without obtaining clearance, break into Earth.

Usually, those individuals are up to no good and, as the janitors of Earth, Death Investigators are responsible for finding said illegal aliens and sending them back to wherever they came from.

THE DETAILS: Death Investigators (DI) are given special abilities to aid them in the solving of cases. The effectiveness and range of their abilities are dependent on the individual's Synergy Levels (SL).

Every DI possesses a "sixth sense" for detecting supernatural events. They can sense or feel supernatural forces in the environment, make faster (but not god-speed) recoveries (e.g. broken bones take one week to heal versus the typical month or more), are physically stronger than normal (e.g. can kick a door down with relative ease, but cannot pick up a car over their heads). Additionally, every DI will also be given a high-level ability (players will pick from a list).

THE LIFESTYLE: Despite being "reborn" on Earth with unusual talents, Death Investigators are not given five-star luxury accommodations for their services. In fact, DIs get next to nothing, but the assurance of "legitimacy" to remain on Earth. Every DI is responsible for their individual survival (room, nourishment, etc). In addition to their primary task of handling the supernatural, every DI is expected to find an Earthly means of survival (e.g. Getting a job).

Moreover, since the existence of DIs is, more or less, unknown to the government and authority, DIs lack "official" support and tools when investigating deaths (e.g. They are not handed police files, etc). Death Investigators, for the most part, are responsible for finding out information on their own using whatever means necessary (although the Death Gods are extremely strict about the killing of humans or any interference with a human timeline).

This game is a work-in-progress and, as such, suggestions and/or critiques are greatly appreciated! Show of interest in joining is also highly welcomed.

Last edited by joonsexual; 06-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

I just realized that, for the past few hours, I had made a mistake.

I forgot to change the title of the thread. Originally, I had not intended to create an interest/brainstorm thread for REWIND (as I was holding off on its development, but, well, creativity has a way of sneaking in at the strangest of times).

In any case, went back to change that and some typos here and there. (:

Last edited by joonsexual; 10-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.

TUMBLR.

Gaining a Reputation
    I really like the story and point of this role play. Big fan for story orientated and crime-dramas to a certain extent. As much as I want to put in an outsiders input, there is nothing I would like to add. However I do have a couple of questions.

1. The individuals who do become a DI, do they have any prior memory of the person they once were? From what I am getting, they are pretty much reborn dead people with a whole new face and identity.

2. With supernatural beings, are they pretty much a supernatural being or are they human replication of a supernatural being? For example, is the vampire a legit "Dracula" or is the vampire some sort of undead spirit who somehow gained the power to drain blood from the living?

SIXONINE: Haha, questions are equally welcomed! I love questions because they often bring attention to aspects of the game that I might not have thought about or are unclear. (:

1) Death Investigators (DI) do retain their Earthly memories. They know who they used to be, where they used to live, and the languages they used to speak. But, as always, there is a catch. The longer a soul stays on Earth working as a DI, the more their memories will degrade. Over certain periods of time (memory degradation seems to happen at random and without much consistency), many souls find themselves forgetting things here and there. Usually the last thing a DI would remember (after their memories have completely degraded) is their final moments on Earth (read: their death).

Of course, it is very, very rare for a DI to stay that long on Earth. Most will hang up their badges long before they forget their past selves entirely.

2) I use the term "supernatural" as a sort of umbrella term for all things deemed "unnatural" by human standards. The vampire in the setup isn't the "cape and fangs" type of vampire (although there could be such a creature). Rather, the vampire is simply describing a being that has the unique ability to drain life force (read: blood) from its victims.

Does that help with the question? I'm not too sure where you were trying to get at (I had a few guesses), but if I didn't answer the question (or you had more), please, feel free to let me know. (:

On an alternate note (and an addendum to the first post), I wanted to mention that the role-play will only be accepting up to 12 roles!

The 12 roles will be loosely defined. Each character shell will come with:

1. Predetermined Synergy Level
    2. A unique ability
    3. Time spent as a Death Investigator
    4. Percentage of memory retained
    5. One primary personality trait

That aside, everything else about the character is left up to the creative discretion of the applicant!

But even though there are twelve slots available, I will only be accepting around 4-6 players for the game (people are encouraged to double, but are not required to do so). It's just, at the advice of friends, 12 is a rather ambitious number and, in the past, larger groups tend to be riddled with difficulties. .________.;

Last edited by joonsexual; 10-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.

TUMBLR.

Girl, you knew I was in love with this idea from the moment I heard about it. Count me in!

//subscribed.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

LOL. I took down this post because... I realized I messed up something. DON'T WORRY, I WILL RETURN WITH REAL INFORMATION SOON!

Last edited by joonsexual; 10-18-2012 at 05:18 AM.

TUMBLR.

I AM REOPENING THIS THREAD!

I realize that I have another active interest thread (Anathema), but I have always wanted to role-play this game. And, to be completely honest, unless I get an amazing response for Anathema, I am unlikely to forge ahead with it (something about it being another large-scale game is very off-putting to me at the moment).

In any case, there are some changes I would like to apply:

1. There are only eight character slots available! I am downsizing from twelve because I'm not interested in running a large game. There will no longer be any skeleton restrictions placed on the characters!

2. There is a predetermined list of abilities that applicants may choose from. Applicants have the freedom to decide which abilities their characters are given, but there is a caveat: characters cannot share an ability. All abilities will be unique.

3. There will be an application process similar to this. I enforce an application process because it allows me to screen character ideas and discuss potential problem-areas before applicants spend too much time on crafting a profile.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to answer any and all questions. (:

TUMBLR.

A Shining Example Sweetsunnyrain's Avatar

UGH JING
    why do you keep making these awesome roleplays??
    q A q I really want to join adslkfj lmao

@ SUNNY : lolol. I'm really looking forward to getting some work done for this RP over the next week. (:

TUMBLR.

Q u Q screams I won't be able to join ahahaha

Good luck, tho!

@ SUNNY : Aww.... D; It's okay! Apply when you get back... or something, lol.

I just hope the game gets set up. (: I think I'm going to go ahead and create a full-feature to see what comes of it and stuff. I don't know; I really wanted this RP when I first brought it up, but... Halcyon sort of bullied its way to attention, lolol.

TUMBLR.

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    I think I might attempt at joining this one. ^w^ Seems a bit like an anime I am rather fond of (Descendants of Darkness).

Thanks for everyone's interest! :D

A few things about the role-play...

1. When crafting your character, your character can be from any post-industrialized era. There can be exceptions to the rule, but I am going to be upfront: I am unlikely to accept characters from the time of ancient or classical civilizations.

2. The Crossroads is no longer a place where souls are free to wander. Instead, the Crossroads is now a place of judgment. It is a metaphorical train station: souls arrive at the Crossroads to be redirected to somewhere else. Death Investigators, for one reason or another, are unable to leave their old lives and stay tethered to their past world and, in order to avoid Corruption, the Death Gods allow the souls to return as Death Investigators.

3. Hell is a prison and Lucifer is the warden. Death Investigators are, essentially, employed under Lucifer, who commands the Death Gods. The job description of a Death God is ambiguous and vague, but, in general, they do a lot of important things.

4. Sin is a form of energy.

TUMBLR.

Love the description of the death gods... it's just pure genius.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.

q u q omg I can apply when I get back?? -cries- thank Jing you're the best

@ ALEX : Haha, the job title of "Death God" pretty much sells itself. It don't need no job description! Don't no one got time for dat shat, lol.

Although on an important, logistical point: Death Gods are tied and linked to Death Investigators in several ways.

1. Death Investigators are put into a group known as a "unit." Every unit is maintained and monitored by a Death God. Normally speaking, Death Gods cannot function in Living Dimensions. Death Gods who do exist in the Living Dimensions are different from the ones that govern the Crossroads/Hell: they don't have any access their powers.

2. The other ways are a secret and are, believe it or not, plot points!

@ SUNNY : Yes! You can apply when you get back, lol. I haven't actually done any real constructive work on the game yet (lol...), but it'll definitely be set-up by the time you get back. Hopefully. Haha.

TUMBLR.

THREAD.

I will be working on it over the next few days. You might notice some discrepancies between the information in this thread and the actual thread. Please note that if there IS a difference, I will always stand by the information printed in the actual role-play.

TUMBLR.