Login to your account

Thread: How do YOU roleplay?

How do YOU roleplay?

We all know there is no set way to roleplay, and each person writes as they write. But I'm curious to know how you all, personally, roleplay. What's your style?

For example:

Do you rp in first person? third person?
    Past, present tense?
    Are you a one-liner, purple-proser, middle-ground kinda person?
    Do you like long posts or do long posts bore you?
    Do you always play guys, girls, both (or other)?
    Do you play by placing actions between ** or other types of symbols?
    Do your characters think in italics, or **, or anything else?
    Do they talk in "", or '', or --?
    Are you freeform or dice-oriented?
    Or do you maybe adapt to the situation?

Share your style, what styles irk you and what styles you love.

Third person, all the way. /I/ think in third person, but that is me, the player. My characters, while a facet of me are not my self, so I think of them in third person.

Past, present tense?
    A little of both and I am bad about mixing them >.>. I prefer past tense for longer posts (say five sentences or more) but think present tense works will in short back and forth posts where your characters are "actively doing little things one step at a time" if that makes any sense at all.

I call my self an equal responded. If you give me one good line, I will give you one to three good lines in response. Give me a paragraph and I will match that. I don't think I have ever, or will ever, make a single role playing post longer than five paragraphs that is not a "world introduction post" so not a purple-proser or monologue player as I call them, lol. And I don't match people's lengths intentionally, I simply read and respond to each aspect that allows a response and that tends to end up with posts of a similar length to the one before.

Both? Ok so here's the thing. I LOVE an awesome introduction to a world type post which details the setting, the characters involved both pc and npc, and gives a feel for how the role play will go. I also enjoy reading the thoughts of other characters as the game goes along, seeing hints of where things might go through some one's thoughts, but I /need/ material that allows a decent response. I am not a writer, I will never get my fiction published, so I don't want to write my own story along side some one else's story in which our characters occasionally interact. So I enjoy reading long post, so long as they do not mess with the flow of interaction.

I pride my self on playing both and rarely give my true gender to other players so as to keep them from judging my characters based upon me. I also play genderless things like inanimate objects xp.

Once again, yes and no. In short 'one liner' present tense role plays it can some times be easier to define actions with *shifty eyes* asterisks or other markers. For more paragraph style, I prefer a more traditional division using commas, quotes and the like.

If free flow thinking, I.e.
    She wasn't sure this was the best idea, but who was to say she knew any thing?
    I write in normal sentence format. If some one is actively thinking something, I will some times use apostrophes as follows.
    'Wow' he pondered to him self, head shaking slowly as his jaw returned from its dropped position 'I didn't think it would work out so well!'
    When using thoughts as a secondary form of speech, say with psychic character for example, I normally define directed thought speech with ~insert thoughts here~
    in fast passed one liners, where the speaking parts are often longer than the actions I will have my open text act as the talking while the actions are defines by stars as mentioned above ;p. In more tradition writing styles I define writing with commas, quotes, and paragraphs, of course.

Boooth. I started role playing with D&D and to this day attend a weekly table top role playing session. Stat based games habe their place in the world. They often have lots of action and the abilities of ALL the characters in the game tend to be well defined and fairly equal. On the other hand, the narrative and character interactions are limited and like it or not, you are always judged on who you are not just your character and their interactions. Obviously I love free form as well. I like telling a story and being part of a story with others. My biggest issue with free form is that so many people forget to give their characters meaningful flaws that make them three dimensional. As a result, I often feel 'under powered' for having built my characters with physical, mental and emotional failings.

yup. I think I do just that, for the most part, ha ha.

How about you?

That's cool Adaptable is the best I think.

Me, I'm used to chat RP more, so I lean to one-liners, but I do like to try to give some length and insight description to things around the character and his/her thoughts. I find it hard to write really long posts though, unless they're posts that have something more major than regular interaction happening (such as opening posts, etc), but I also -try- to match what people write to me, and reply to everything they say that my character hears or may notice. I make a point of avoiding "reading their thoughts" with my character. lol

I'm a third person rper. It's all him, her, them with me. I write in past tense (though admittedly I might mistake some tenses from time to time), and use quotations for text. I rarely write out actual thoughts, and when I do the format varies. Mostly I would just say like:

He thought it was actually very funny, but decided not to say anything of it not to upset his sister. Instead, he pointed ahead "How about that one?"
    Instead of actually making him think "How funny".

I'm all for freeform when I'm on the internet, I haven't really played with dice that way (although, I have played tabletop a few times so I'm kinda used to it as well). I play guys, mostly, but I do have some girls among my characters (I just don't usually play them because for some reason everyone ends up trying to hit on them and I don't rp het romance much :P )

I only use *action* on my everyday forum posts, not games. XD

Gaining a Reputation Michael Cra's Avatar
    I normally stick to third person.

Past, present tense?
    I tend to go all over the place with this it normally gets fixed when i edit which i do a lot but things slip through. Same as Aerion though i try to stick to past tense for large posts and if it is something quick back and forth, present tense works.

Depending on the type of RP it differs, if it is just for fun one liners are good, But when I'm in a good game i tend to go over the top at times. I didn't really discover RP'ing until i was a Jr. in High School and i had already started writing a book so i tend to Describe everything so that you can imagine what is effecting the character and what he thinks/sees. ((I've never finished anything other than a short story.))

I like long posts if it sets up things or tells me what is going on or what might be coming my way, if it is just dialog and not important i get bored fast.

I mostly play guys I have played an occasional girl but that's normally with a Guy character I'm playing too because they are a team.

I only do that in forums or fun goofy RP's that are not intended to go anywhere otherwise i do the whole everything that is not in "" is actions or Descriptions.

I put my character thought or something along those lines unless it has to deal with Cra & Syer and then technically Syer is another person just inside of Cra, so that is them talking just no one else can hear it unless they are Psychic same goes for the others in the sword.

in real games "", in quick ones its just regular talking with actions in **

I've done a lot more freefrom but i have also done dice tabletop games what was i again lvl 14 Paladin 3rd edition something like that XD.

do you maybe adapt to the situation?
    I am very good at adapting to the situation.
    Last edited by Michael Cra; 06-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.

I tend to switch from using 'he' when i'm describing basic thoughts and actions while using 'I' to be first person thoughts.

Past, present tense?

Both

Middle Ground though I will match up with you the best I can.

I like long posts though they do bore me so I tend to scan them. That's how I read as well.

Guys as i'm just so used to who I am as a person.

No, just for OOC purposes.

I generally use italics for first person thoughts to distinguish from a third person one.

They talk in "" as would be in a book or any form of true literature.

Freeform.

Yes and no though I however do my own thing at times.

I have two basic roleplaying styles: Chat and Story.

In chat, I'm all over the place. To me, it's not about being "perfect" but conveying the thought/action/imagery I'm going for. I'll often make posts like this:
    <Jin> ::spots Crow sitting up on the couch. after a sec of thought, he runs up to Crow and tackles him off of it:: >3< <33333! ::*loves* him, but loves harassing him even more than that. <3::

But if I were in story mode, it might be more like:
    Jin spied Crow sitting on the couch, his back to him, headphones on and his attention focused elsewhere. That is, focused not on him. This, as always, was completely unacceptable in cases where Jin wanted his attention. He snuck up behind Crow, loomed a moment for the best effect (even if no one noticed it - not even Crow, he knew that he'd done it and it made it all the more amusing for him), and then tackled him off the couch, grinning the whole way down. He loves Crow, but loves harassing him even more than that.

Of course, it'd be silly for me to imply that in chat-style posts I wouldn't also add a bit of story-style type posting to it. But it was just an example of how different my playing styles can be. ^^;

So!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiel View Post
    Past, present tense?
    - Mostly third.
    - A mixture in chat style, but mostly past tense in story form.
    - It depends... :' If the other character has a strong connection to my character or a way of sensing emotions, I'll give more flavor to my descriptions of those things, whether or not the character is actively "reading" them. And I'm often guilty of "clothes-horsing" (meaning, describing in detail what my character is wearing). But once the important things are described, I don't usually feel the need to describe them again in detail unless it's important to the moment.
    - It depends on what's in the long post. xD; If there's content, I don't mind it being long, as long as it's broken up for easy digestion. If it's a wall of text where nothing so much happens or I can't figure out what is actually happening, I hate it. >_>;
    - Lately, I tend towards boys, but I enjoy playing either. I have trouble playing non-gendered characters.
    - In chat, actions are between ::colons:: and emphasis is between *asterisks*. Out of character of course are in ((parentheses)) and when I roleplay electronic communication, it's usually in [brackets].
    - In story-style, speaking is always in "quotes" unless it's some sort of psychic communication, in which case I follow the rule of italics. Instead of brackets for electronic communications, I'd probably use an electronic looking font style, if available, for story-style. In chat form, I don't use quotes and would probably use *asterisks* for psychic communications.
    - I've only ever played freeform, but I'd dearly love to try dice gaming one day.
    - I try to be adaptable. As long as I understand what's going on, I'll usually adopt whatever methods commonly used in my game.

((I'll have to read everyone else's posts in the issue later. I'm meant to be doing something else soon. xD; ))
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Everyone's replies are really interesting. I love to see how other people rp because there are so many different ways to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cra View Post
    I've done a lot more freefrom but i have also done dice tabletop games what was i again lvl 14 Paladin 3rd edition something like that XD.
    lol Lvl 14 Paladin is good! Higher than I ever got in any tabletop anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    whether or not the character is actively "reading" them. And I'm often guilty of "clothes-horsing" (meaning, describing in detail what my character is wearing). But once the important things are described, I don't usually feel the need to describe them again in detail unless it's important to the moment.
    - It depends on what's in the long post. xD; If there's content, I don't mind it being long, as long as it's broken up for easy digestion. If it's a wall of text where nothing so much happens or I can't figure out what is actually happening, I hate it. >_>;
    - Lately, I tend towards boys, but I enjoy playing either. I have trouble playing non-gendered characters.
    - I've only ever played freeform, but I'd dearly love to try dice gaming one day.
    Your Story mode sample rocks. Just so you know. :P As expected from an admin of an RP site!

I love describing clothes, though I sometimes forget to lol andd I love reading descriptions too, because it kind of annoys me to have to ask OOC what they were wearing if it ever comes into play. :P

I agree with you on the long post. I hate walls of text, they make me want to skip the post altogether and ignore it, so I too try to break it down to make it readable.

I've played only a couple non-gendered characters myself, but I kinda love doing so!They're fun~

Oh, I played dice games through internet a couple times (tabletop also, but it's harder to find an open group where I live), and I loved it. I didn't think it was very doable at first to do it over the net, but turns out it is~ XD

(ooc)

Third. I can be a bit picky when it comes to first person.

Past, present tense?
    Usually past. Sometimes I slip into present and back to past like a horrible writer, but eeehh.

Hmm. I'd actually say middle-ground? That is not to say that I do not ramble on and on about unnecessary things sometimes. I just don't adress how the scintillating light is refracting off of my characters hair in a neon semblance of superb amazing beauty.

Quality over quantity. I like a middle ground. I don't like a long post that is long just for the sake of being long. Because I know I can write long posts, but I never do it on purpose, y'know? I'm not aiming for a certain large number of words, it just happens sometimes.

I actually usually play guys. It's something that happened when I was younger, where all of my friends would play girls and would then whine about needing some guy characters... pfft. Now I can't not play a guy. But I try to keep it even, and I mean I do have girl characters, but if we get right down to it my character collection is probably 70% male.

No. I might have done that for awhile way back in the old days when I was on Neopets, but not anymore. Unless I am chat-rping. xD

I usually just use ' ' for thoughts, and sometimes I'll throw italics on it too just so it's clear they're thinking. Sometimes though, I just mention thoughts without having them spelled out.

I don't think I've used anything but "blahblah" for speaking.

Freeform. Since I've never actually played a table-top rpg I've never used dice-oriented playing. But it might be a neat thing to try out.

I am good at adapting. xD There's never really been a situation where I needed to though (not drastically anyway).
    "The bittersweet tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
    Harriet Beecher Stowe

First person. Definetly.
    Past, present tense?
    Kinda both... *Sweatdrop* I have a habit of switching between them.
    One liner. Definitely. I'm not as bad now, but I used to make posts that were as short as three words long- once, even two words. But, like I said, I'm not that bad not. If I try, I can get maybe a paragraph?
    I enjoy long posts! That's why I'm trying to get better at them. Their a lot of fun to read!
    I usually play girls. I have maybe three male characters.
    Heck no. I despise that type of playing.
    My characters usually think in Italics. 'Like this, marks ans all.'
    I am very found of my quotation marks, thank you very much! Quotes are your friends!
    Freeform, mainly.
    I can usually adapt a little, but I prefer freeform.
    "You're not exactly the safest person to be around." "The person driving got a medal for worst driver ever." "...C***." -Paradox and Av'

Mostly in third person but I've also roleplayed in 1st person.

Past, present tense?
    Past. I think it's easier to write. Unless I write in 1st person, then it's mostly present.

As most of my RP exp is from Twitter it's just a few lines, mostly one-liner. I realize I need to improv on that.

Not too long. 1-3 paragraphs is good.

Guys mostly. I've only once roleplayed as a girl.

*Action* or ::Action::

Italics. But on Twitter I used ~thought~

On Twitter... neither. Under some circumstances "dialog". In my Fan fiction I always use "dialog".

Are you freeform or dice-oriented?, Or do you maybe adapt to the situation?
    I'm not sure I understand the question...
    Last edited by Brook V; 07-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Third always. first person weirds me out. I'm not the one the story is about, my characters are and they don't want me pretending I'm them lol. If that sounds weird sorry, just the way my characters work is more like they are telling me what to write for them, not me deciding what I want them to do. If that makes me sound crazy sorry, but they've always been very real entities in my mind (no I don't think they actually EXIST, I know they are not real or tangible)

Past, present tense?
    Past. Its just always come more naturally to me.

Middle Ground definitely, I get bored monologuing about a boat or grass or something. I like to give enough detail to do my characters justice, but not so much that people are waiting half an hour for me to post or it takes them have an hour to read it.

Bore me. I like 3 paragraphs. Its enough to really illustrate the character to me, but so much that I want to wander off and do something else. I roleplay for the interaction, not for the showing off. Although I like more when its intro time or world setup, or something BIG that takes a lot of description is happening.

Girls all the time. I hate that about myself, makes me stereotypical, but I just cannot portray men well and I don't enjoy playing them. They feel alien to me and don't make me happy to play, so I just avoid them. I've tried many times, and I wish I enjoyed it (i'd have a lot more partners) but they just aren't for me. I have one guy I like to play, but he's always paired with someone else even if he's also a main.

Never. Always sentences. Grammar Nazi

They think in italics if I'm writing the exact words they're thinking, otherwise its just integrated into the post.

Normal proper grammar quotations

Freeform most often

I'm adaptable

Soo... I want to add a couple of questions if thats okay.

How do your characters feel to you? Like real people telling you what to do or something obviously fake that you control?

and

Do you like to play characters similar to who you are/want to be or the exact opposite?

To answer the new questions above:

How do your characters feel to you? Like real people telling you what to do or something obviously fake that you control?

The characters I've worked with the longest feel like "real people" to me. I frequently tell friends (who know the characters) that "my inner Jin wants to say..." or "See, I would say do this, but Jin really wants to do that. So I'm trying to figure out which works better for the story." Or "that would annoy the crap out of me, but Jin thinks it's the best thing ever. He's so weird." That sort of thing.

Characters I haven't worked as closely/in-depth with are more like regular game pieces. Though I have found that it's a bit easier to see things through a character's eyes from all the experience I've had roleplaying and writing characters.

Do you like to play characters similar to who you are/want to be or the exact opposite?

I find it easier to understand characters where I can see things from their perspective, even if I don't agree with it. This often comes from amplifying bits of my own personality or the personalities of people I know fairly well, though sometimes it's just from having "studied" a particular character type through seeing them in a story or movie or tv series (etc) that I'm a big fan of. I may not know "that" sort of person in real life and it may not be me at all, but I'm "familiar" with the character type and what they often do.

I'm actually not a big fan of playing "opposite me" or "me, but with ___". I'd feel too limited to things that are within my immediate and direct experiences. It's not to say that I don't have a character or two like that, but I don't actually roleplay with them for that reason. They're easier to write than roleplay. (I also find it really weird to roleplay "me" or "opposite me".)
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

It depends. Some times I feel that my character would do something I wouldn't. Most of the time they feel like a role I'm playing out.

I sometimes struggle to keep myself and my characters separated. It's easier to play a character that is like me or similar to me. However I do like to explore new things as my characters. Never played an exact opposite to me.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Third person. But my profiles tend to be either of the two.
    Past, present tense?
    Past! Unless I'm doing a character profile in first-person.
    Oh dear god. No one liners from me. I'm usually anywhere above two paragraphs. Four to eight tends to be my typical range.
    It depends. If it's a juicy long post, I love it. If it's really dry and predictable, no... it's fawking boring.
    I usually get stuck playing males, but I don't mind. :]
    Nope. I write out the actions as a sentence. When I'm doing OOC, I'll use the asterisks.
    They think in italics. Or I write them a separate journal to explain their thoughts.
    Always in quotations marks. :]
    Freeform.

Almost always. I like to make things run smoothly. If I don't adapt, I do something on purpose to steer the roleplay in a new direction.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Doesn't matter to me.

Past, present tense?

Either, doesn't matter to me.

Whatever fits the situation.

Whatever fits the situation.

Lately I prefer to play female characters.

Nope.

Rarely.

Quotation marks indicate speech.

Either.

Whatever works.

My main approach in role-playing is to go with the flow. I write in whatever manner fits the role-play, and I write about what fits the situation. My post length varies, and I'm pretty sure I'm capable of writing in any style. I believe it's best to be like water. There is no point in being rigid and defined to any one way of writing or role-playing.
    Last edited by Mitsukashira; 09-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.

I role-play in the third person — always. I have a problem with writing in first/second narrative and I also find it incredibly difficult to role-play with someone who chooses to write in first person. I don't know — I like the distance that third person gives between a writer and the character, haha.

Although, within profiles, I tend to go for whichever style fits best.

Past, present tense?

In role-plays, I tend to write in the past tense. It's easier and I don't have to worry as much about uniforming my writing as my writing is, naturally, all written in past tense.

Middle-ground, lol. I write what I need to write and then I'm done. I really don't like to pad my posts with excessive detail, but I won't skimp either. I want to keep a post interesting with amusing descriptions/thoughts, but I don't want to bore someone to tears by focusing on a blade of grass for twenty paragraphs.

Personally, I don't think length is a variable of "boring." I think poor writing is boring. Typically, if a post is too unfocused and lacks "character," it gets to be a bit of a chore to read through. Usually, I just skim then... Posts with lots of flowery description can be a fantastic read (even if it does nothing for the role-play as a whole), but, from what I've seen, very few people can do this and, even then, I think their writing would be better without unnecessary proses.

Out of a seven-year-old habit, I'm more likely to play a male role than a female role. Just preferences, but it doesn't mean I'm against female roles. I just prefer male roles. Haha.

No.

I put their thoughts in italics to make it more obvious, but it's always quoted too.

Quotation markers.

Free-form is something I'm comfortable with, but dice-based isn't bad. It's just... not my style. Haha.

When it comes to role-playing, I just want it to be fun and relaxing. It's meant to be a hobby so I don't take it too seriously. If things don't work out — it doesn't work out. If things get a little crazy, well, the crazy is contained to just the role-play, haha.

My characters are just words on a page, haha. I don't feel particularly attached to them, but while role-playing, I do imagine what it's like to be in their situation.

When making a character, I always use one or two (or three) traits I can identify with. When I make characters that are based off nothing, but pure creativity, they always come out flat, uninspiring, and difficult.

On this note of character creation...

It really, really bugs me when I role-play opposite of someone who has CLEARLY blurred the lines of reality and fiction. People who become too invested in their character really kills the role-play for me. It's just... LOL, I don't even have words to articulate how annoying it is. Haha.

Last edited by joonsexual; 06-20-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Third person, unless I am just being silly but it's never in character. I am very awkward when I write in first person, probably because I am so use to third.

Past, present tense?

Past, just like the question prior... writing in present tense is awkward for me and always ends up sounding funny so I avoid it.

I will not one line something, ever. I will usually write a minimum of three standard paragraphs and a maximum of... well... I want to say eight? But that is if the mood really strikes me and I have to give a lot of information. I don't like writing more than I deem necessary so I'd have to say my average is around five standard paragraphs.

All depends on writing them. I've seen long and beautiful posts that are a pleasure to read but I have also seen long drawn out posts that can hardly keep my attention. The only thing that bothers me are posts that clearly lack any description and aren't written to their potential.

I used to only play female characters, but WTF has broaden my horizons and I've attempted to take on male characters. Sure it isn't as easy as females but a challenge is fun!

No

Italics.

I like to put quotes around speech and color them.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Third person, usually. I could probably try to do another viewpoint if my partner asked, however, I've always seen third person as the most, universally accepted way to forum role play. lol

Past, present tense?
    Past tense.

I would definitely like to say I'm middle ground. A crap ton of description when unnecessary bores me. If it's a new setting, or a world we've created on our own, I like to give more detail, but not ever single hair on a person's head, ya know?

I like long posts. Not pages and pages on word document, but nice, substainable posts, especially if I'm really into the rp. I love to read them when this happens, because I'm addicted to what my partner's character will do, or say. Makes me feel part of the story.

I usually get stuck playing the guy. Eh. I can play either easily, however. Although, now that I think of it, I might be a little rusty when it comes to writing my own gender. xD

No way. I've never done this.

Italics, always. I've also never used ** for thought.

Definitely "", because that's what quotations are for - dialogue.

I've never used dice, so I'm gonna go with free form.

I'm pretty adaptable.

I like all the perspectives, including second, but most people prefer third, so I do that. I found out recently that in certain languages there are considered to be fourth or fifth person perspectives. It has to do with obscurity, I believe, like, “One could go to the library.”

Past, present tense?
    Typically, I use past tense, but, like with perspectives, it depends on the narrator decided upon. Is it a bard reciting stories gone-by or a man strolling behind you singing nonsensical actions you made as you make them? I thought about future tense, but writing "will" over and over and over wears on my nerves. I think I might settle on past tense with hidden and not so hidden nuances of present and future, to indicate continued action and resulting action.

I try for long to avoid laziness, but I can fall into the other groups easily. Introductions are notoriously long, but I try not to make it rambling (unless that is the tone I want portrayed). I had one written in first person to show how ranting and personally involved the character was, and also the horrific elements and clues of a supernatural case; my friend skimmed those five/six pages of 10/12 font Times New Roman.

It depends on how it is written; interesting short is better than boring long, but boring long is better than boring short and interesting long is better than interesting short.

Both (including herms), though I tend to be afraid of playing girls, because how negatively girl characters have affected RPs (including feminine men), and because villains and men are played poorly at times. On the flipped side, it’s irritating when I feel like I only play guys since I want to be able to play all things and even find girls to be more relaxing, since now I don't have to chase the girl to make the other RPer(s) happy or even be in a relationship at all. Also, sometimes I put girls in boxes of social believability or likeability--How many people will feel a positive connection to an adult female character that acts like an immature, gross boy?--but still love it when they jump out. Bottom line, I fear playing a Mary-Sue before playing with a Mary-Sue--avoided female roles in one RP unless they were bitches--but that's changing, slowly.

Funny side-note to what one person wrote about about hiding its gender: For a while I try to avoid showing my gender and, if I didn’t use Skype, I don’t think people would figure it out easily. Despite Skype, I denied and had other RPers and their roommates guessing! Without hearing my voice, I’ve been accused of being an elderly, good ol' boy and a bubble-headed, teenage girl, but I don’t actively try to be nothing anymore. If you figure it out, then good on you.

NO! (I mean, unless the story requires that, like text messages between characters in a computer-engulfed game.)

It depends on the style. If telepathy is prominent, then I might use italics and, if not, I use quotes, but, now that I’m thinking about it, *s are not often seen or used for anything in fiction whereas italics are already viewed as having multiple purposes. I only used them on electronic media before if there was no way to italicize. Eh, yay and nay.

“”

Freeform; dice are only for when there is absolutely no way to settle a disagreement.

See above.
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

Third person all the way, I just don't see a reason to play first person unless the character is myself and I have little interest in playing with myself. (pun intended)

Past, present tense?
    I'm moot on this one, usually I use present tense, but I occasionally switch depending on situation and need.

I'm more of a middle ground person, if you can't convey what your character is doing in 3 paragraphs, you're probably making him do too much at once or are being excessively descriptive.

Depends on content. I need at least one new thing to happen every six lines or I get bored. seven lines of describing the way your character ran his hand through his long curly femme fatale pixie dust blue hair is just too much.

I mostly play guys but I occasionally play girls (typically upon request or on whim). I feel that as a guy my portrayal of a male is more realistic, but as a writer I want to broaden my horizons, so I "practice" doing women when I have the chance.

No, not unless everyone else in the story is doing it and then I typically wouldn't join that kind of group.

Do your characters think in italics, or **, or anything else? Do they talk in "", or '', or --?
    Italics surrounded by brackets. "Like this." and they talk "Like this."

Either, it doesn't matter to me. But it has to be completely one or the other, half-assing things isn't for me.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.