Login to your account

Thread: Witch's Feast: A Mystery-Horror RP in a somewhat Table-Top Like Fashion

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar

Witch's Feast: A Mystery-Horror RP in a somewhat Table-Top Like Fashion

It was the night before everyone you knew would be swept off to college to star their lives anew. The night air is warm and sweet; light shatters out across the lake and the sound of merriment fills everyone's ears. This is the biggest party of year, so far, held when the summer is at its warmest; and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. You are currently at a cabin on a lake; a rather large lake that's waters look black in the midnight glow. All around you is forest and you had to take a narrow gravel road to get here. And though this place is isolated out here in the woods you had to scramble for parking next to a large and grassy hill.
    Something that should have been so simple turns dark and treacherous in a moment.
    The lights immediately shut off, and this is followed by screams and shortly after intoxicated laughter. Though that only lingers in the air for a bit before deafening screeches rip from the dark folds of the cabin and the sound of scrambling is heard through the solidity of night. When the lights flicker back on- it is just you and three others left in a room that was once crowded with bodies.

There are screams further into the night- and the scrambling of bodies attempt to enter their car and drive off before they are squelched by whatever unseen force surrounds the cabin. Yet you cannot stay there- and instead have to venture out into the night. Probably the freakiest realization is when you look up into the night sky and all the stars that you were familiar with are gone, and that white glossy moon is now a pregnant red droplet that is suffocating the sky with other more dampened ones ghosting about it.
    The world has changed- the lake is black an beyond it is a massive swamp that you don’t remember being there before. There are mountains in the background, and beyond that a shimmering light that might signify a city- you might be safe if you can get there.
    Of course first you have to travel through the swamp, and whatever other environments await you- and little do you know that your appearance in this world means you have been cordially invited to the Witch’s Feast.

I’m trying to generate interest for this RP because I do not believe that it has enough content to really deserve a full-featured game- then again I could be wrong. This game will also run on a system that I haven’t seen on WTF, and honestly it may have been done before I have not witnessed it. This game will involve more exploration than horror and quite a bit of mystery. This RP is going to be like a slowly climaxing thriller with loads of supernatural and discovery elements.

So the style of the RP will be somewhat like a ‘choose your own adventure book’ where me- the GM- will not have a character but instead be that ominous voice that describes your surroundings and might give you plausible choices to pick from. I mean I still encourage RPing- or otherwise things might get bland- but the idea is that you follow the GM prompts. That being said I’ll still have NPCs that chat with you and moments where the group can talk amongst themselves and do other things instead of constantly moving. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

GM: You are in a swamp- long inlets of silt form a makeshift bridge across it. The waters are tepid and opaque and low hanging branches seem to sweep about. On the other side you see your path continue.
    Player: attempt to cross silt inlet with light steps using the branches as a handle.
    GM: A large black beast flops over the inlet half way through your journey and bares its blood coated teeth at you.
    Yes the responses will be short in some places but still put in detail and realization of your surroundings or you might die. And if you DO die there are other humans lurking about the forest- and you can pick up as one of those; hopefully though we won’t lose our lives too too frequently.

There will also be an Inventory system where you start out with your basic gear (your party clothes and whatever was on your person), and then as you go along and think of different things to look at and grab you can put them in your inventory for later use. The amount of inventory will either be fixed for all or we might play with stats and it will be based on constitution- though there won’t be that many stats in this game.

Anyway- how does this sound? I would like 3-4 players to start this and I won’t until I have people on board for the game.

Do let me know!
    -Nom
    Last edited by NomDePlume; 08-19-2012 at 11:17 PM.

I am all over that idea! *_*

The previous incarnation of GWS had a choose your own adventure feel too and I miss it!

This is like a classic RP style that I totally miss playing on. Though truth be told it is only good for exploration RPs, mystery RPs, or horror RPs- of which this RP had a bit of all of him so to stretch out the plot a bit. Actually truth be told it is one of the ONLY ways for horror to be RPed effectively. I recently I remembered this idea (I've run it 2 times in the past) after my husband downloaded 'Slender' and started playing it- freaked me out.

Anyway! So glad you are interested. <3

Any opinions on how things should go- I'm still up in the air about Stats and/or Inventory system. I believe we need an Inventory system but I don't know how far to take it really. I mean perception/intelligence will be solely based on how inquisitive your character is- though I guess some people would notice something more than others etc etc.

Yeah, I say that we should need only the Inventory, and to get more items we would have to be inventive, daring and/or inquisitive. We would of course have a less chance of dying when making detailed, sensible plans that rushing into things!

The group will always be together or will they be separated? If so, I was hoping that they would drift far enough in those case to not repeat the same challenges as the others as there would be less chance of cheating.

Sounds good.
    I was thinking about applying like a 'what you are wearing' inventory:

Head-
    Torso-
    Legs-
    Feet-
    Accessory-

And then plausibly an inventory that is like:

Large Item-
    Small Item-
    Small Item-
    Small Item-

And maybe if you get a backpack or something of that sort- we'll bolster up the inventory spots.

Of course the challenge of the RP is to be a good RPer, to pay attention to what your GM says, and most of all ask questions about the surroundings. Truth be told it also reminds of those old 'King's Quest' games, 'The Cube', and a more recent one of Theresa- the more you click on things and collect things in your inventory the better you do. So no stats.

They might be together- they might be separated- or alone. And the challenges should- when in a group- involve everyone to get over them. That being said there will be group separation- as it wouldn't be a good horror RP without it. Also there may be certain 'afflictions' that come across the players that will change the outlook of certain situations.

For example: your character was scratched by a big wolf (we are going werewolf here), and they have been infested with the lycanthrope disease. Now you are faced with a door that has a silver knob- how do you manage to enter?

Very simple- but you get the idea.
    Do like the idea of werewolves though- like my favorite supernatural creature there.

I know, werewolves are awesome! They tend to be not too over the top unlike vampires.

That sounds good. They may find chests and stashing place like hollow trees as well, to safeguard some things!

Maybe a Amnesia-type sanity/panic levels as well? The world distorts when you are upset and afraid enough and you lose you grip on reality...
    Last edited by Artsydaze; 08-20-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Exactly.
    Whenever vampires are over the top- werewolves are played down substantially. It makes things unfun when they are just wandering wolves and not badass bipedal destroying machines.

Anyway!

Hm- stashes might not be the best of ideas- unless places are revisited- seeing as the idea is to progress forward. Though there will be many a 'safe haven' in an otherwise hostile environment. Maybe those will allow for some 'transportation' of objects that cannot be carried. Though for the most part there should be some backpacks, satchels, otherwise for people to tote things about in.

I hadn't thought of that.
    Though I am sure there is a 'threat' level to be dealt with in this RP where it gets too high that people can't cope with their current reality. Though that might fall more so under affliction than actual RP points unless someone wants to play that aspect up- then I'll more than allow them.

Truth be told it would be unnatural not to question reality in the case of this RP. Though I figure every character would deal with it differently- and if they decided not to deal with it.... it better be denial or they are getting eaten by a pit of quicksand. XD Okay that sounded mean- but you get what I am saying.

Anyway- so uh- about 2-3 more players and this RP should be good to go. I may release a simple character skeleton to fill out but honestly character creation will be utterly simple.

I gathered as much x3!

Hopefully others will be interested soon!

Humble Farmer With a Sword MarineViolet's Avatar
    Land of Rocks and Dust (the midwest United States)
    *raises hand* I am interested!
    *is a filthy homestuck*
    Find me here!

Yay! Only 1-2 more players needed now. c:

Any ideas you would like to offer?

Or should I plausibly get the skeleton up- which will very much be a skeleton. Only to make sure that everyone realizes what sort of character they are playing- and less so knowing everyone's personality, background, and favorite flavor of cheese (who likes havarti- I sure do).

Yes! We are closer to the start! *happy dance*

I'm still doing a full character sheet to make sure I know my character enough to be consistent in her actions and words.
    Last edited by Artsydaze; 08-21-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Hm- I might take a couple of more people for this or I may go ahead and start it.

Would anyone else be interested?

Damn you, I MUST be involved in this! Count me in~!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Yesss, so are we in the clear now, Plume? *is like an eager puppy*
    Last edited by Artsydaze; 08-23-2012 at 04:29 PM.

I don't know whether to be happy Schiz is here- or frightened. XD I feel like I have done a baaadddd thing, but at the same time I feel the urge to rub my hands together and cackle wildly.

Anyway we have enough players- there should be one more on the roster- but I've talked to her via PMs and not so much on here. So we should have 4 players entirely. I'll make the game thread here shortly and link you guys to it. From there should also be the skeleton set up and you can just PM me your character's skeletons or place them on the brainstorming thread. When I get all of those I'll start the RP.

Simply I believe this RP shall be turn based. Though the first round you can just post as you want too and that will determine the order. I'll begin/end every round- unless people are broken into teams or there needs to be interference run by me otherwise. I can see me plausibly having to post after every player if there is a needed response from their actions- but we'll see how it goes. It is different with each game. Just matters how much you RP or how much you just choose and push ahead.

Alright- made the thread. Just fill out the skeleton and post it in the thread- and when I have everyone's skeleton we will begin. And as much as inventory is concerned- just whatever you would rationally bring to a party. Thanks!

RP Link

Sorry this hasn't gotten any love as of late- two members have dropped out and I'm curious whether or not I can just play it with two other people as it would be some awkward lopsided 1x1. >_>

So I guess this is on hiatus until we score up another player- but most definitely until I get back from vaca.