Login to your account

Thread: [PSA] CAMPFIRE STORIES: Role-Play Horrors!

[PSA] CAMPFIRE STORIES: Role-Play Horrors!

CAMPFIRE STORIES: RP HORRORS!

This might not be the section for it, but, after a minute of thought (it was really more like a second, though), I figured it was relevant enough! And, if it isn't? Well, then suck a D.

I'm just kidding. If this is in the wrong forum, just move it to the right place (and we'll be cool, promise). But, honestly, I think this is the place for it. So, moving on.

As the name suggests: TELL US YOUR RP/GM/ETC HORROR STORIES!

I mean, let's be real with each other. We've all experienced or witnessed RP mishaps. Hell, we might have BEEN the source of the problem (lol!). But, this is where we get to kick back, take shots*, and share our best stories (or not so great stories, I wouldn't know). And, as always, this is meant to be mildly entertaining and vaguely amusing. Don't take shit too heavily and learn to smell the goddamn roses.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is: This is a thread to share your nightmarish RP experiences, your head-splitting GM moments, and gossip the fuq out of people we might or might not know. Of course, if you want to talk about people we know... might I suggest using lots and lots of discretion? I'm not going to discourage discussion of shitty experienced shared amongst known individuals, but I do suggest that everyone use their head and a bit of common sense.

We're all humans. We all hurt and we all bleed.

Having said that, I'm not going to police the thread. I'm not going to demand people shape up and line up just because you (or someone you know) has gotten their egos stomped into the ground.

So what if your feelings are hurt? Do you want me to give you a kiss? Or do you want me to take your side, hold your hand, and declare you ruler of the universe (lol, dafuq?) And, if you ARE offended, allow me to say this: Hey, stop being a little bitch and man the fuck up. Seriously. Grow up. And, for those who are, like, children... uh, yo. Man, this just got awkward real fast.

In any case, we're just here to have fun. So, have at it! Give me your best (worst) experience, ever!

*SHOTS NOT INCLUDED WITH THREAD.

Last edited by joonsexual; 10-15-2012 at 04:58 AM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Humble Farmer With a Sword MarineViolet's Avatar
    Land of Rocks and Dust (the midwest United States)
    I was on Facebook RP'ing with close friends. It was a Hunger Games RP, and my 'alliance' was in an underwater cave, the Games having started. We're here, messing around, talking strategy, when someone that hadn't posted UNTIL the Games started, who was above land, near the Cornucopia, 'attacked' us. As in, since they didn't know anything about what was happening, they attacked us through solid ground. Cue anger.

Kay, then the person being attacked, let's call him Steve, apparently didn't notice. He fought back. As in, you know, 'I dodged and threw my spear at her!' kind of thing. Cue face-palm. My bestie and I, we're all, in game, "Um, why are you attacking the air?" And in OOC we're all "AH HELL NAW. WE'RE IN A CAVE." And the GM? She rolled with it. Let's call the GM Jane. Jane just went with it and started doing the battle statistics and everything.

I don't think I've ever face-palmed so much in my entire life. Of course, my alliance and I, besides Steve back there, began to argue. We're all "LOOK AT THE POSTS. WHAT." and Steve's all "Somebody help me out! I'm being attacked!" And we're all "OMG." Jane was, and this is word-for-word, "Just go with it. Not a big deal."

Okay, that's right, but as GM, one shouldn't see such an obvious, gigantic mistake and instead of try to fix it, just ignore it. Just so plainly ignore it. So, my alliance and I, we're constantly arguing with Jane, and eventually we win and she goes "You know what? Steve, other person, stop. Stop, stop, stop. This never happened." Peaches and cream right.

No.

This happened several times. Like, 3. I was so ticked off at not only this, but at her attitude. Jane was so positive what she was doing was right, but that we were obviously just doing this to piss her off and we were wrong. Looking back, I've laughed quite a lot at this predicament. But at the time, I was so pissed and angry that both moi and another good friend of mine decided to just up and quit. We didn't quit quietly either, we committed suicide in-game and left with a string of curses. He came back later, I waited until the next game a few weeks later, choosing to work with a co-GM and just overall ignore the original GM.

Yes, childish of me, but at the time, I hath been a woman scorned. I'd never known such rage.

Not exactly my proudest moment. XD
    Last edited by MarineViolet; 08-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    *is a filthy homestuck*
    Find me here!

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar
    Oh I do so love the 'lets just go with it' GM. Especially when it is NOT OKAY to 'just go with it' because it defies all logic in the RP.

Here is a good story that also involves a 'lets just go with it' GM and a meta-gamer.

So I joined this RP- the basic premise was that a group of genetically engineered kids were growing up in a school that used their abilities to turn them into weapons of mass destruction. They all had to wear masks and were encouraged not to have relations with each other but beyond that basically coexisted in this school rather peacefully. The fun part was- was that at a certain time in the RP they were supposed to be auctioned off to the highest bidder as weapons but we never got to that part of the RP. >_> No I believe we were just stuck in the endless 'rebellion' stage because of this one guy. We'll call him Mister Google Translate, because seriously that is how he posted. I even have an example- because I saved it- because it was hilarious:

"Kraz, I want to ask you something. What do you think of Sin?", he said. This was the last piece he had to move into play. This was going to be fun. Maybe he would give both sides just enough information to just kill each other already. Maybe he should make sure the resistance would win. Change was a good thing. "Is there something I need to know, Kraz?", he said.
    Anyway he was a meta-gamer. The character Kraz he was talking too was brothers with Sin- and they were the only two people that knew that (because they weren't supposed to know if they shared genetic material with others). But the GM was like 'its' cool maybe he went back and time and knew' because meta gamer's character was a time-traveler (why the GM didn't just stop him there I don't know) and used 'well he traveled in time' as his excuse for knowing everything.
    I mean seriously in the middle of the conversation he would blink out and watch the French Revolution and blink back in- our characters were like 'dafuq- stay in the damn conversation'.

So at one point mister Meta Gamer decides to leave the rebellion and join the policing force of the school (that is where that scene comes in). Well the policing force moves slower than the rebellion and he got bored and tried to rejoin the rebellion. When the leader of the rebellion told him 'no'- he went back in time and changed it so looked like he never left. And the Gm was like: that is cool he can do that. Fine- so we all face palmed and went along with it. AND THEN he started spouting nonsense about the policing force- telling them us all their secrets (most of them he had picked up by reading the OOC and not actually things that people said). Inevitably my character calls his out- asking him how he knew this (snerk) and then saying that he was lying and trying to manipulate us (which on several occasions he had mentioned he was going to do that out loud). So our character got into a fight (my character was able to turn his body into steel and was practically impenetrable). Instead of actually fighting- mister Meta Gamer goes back in time to a 'time where my character trusted him' and killed him.

I was like: isn't that an insta-kill?
    GM: Totally legit.
    Mister Google Translate: That teach you to mess on me.

As you can imagine- I left as did most of the other members and so the RP died. Oye! I'm surprised I stayed in it as long as I did, but I absolutely loved my character- so- yeah- I punished myself.

Oh man, those stories sound terrible, but, lol, hilarious... I didn't even know you could RP on Facebook. But... hahaha... Some times, it's so hard to understand how these things happen... lolol...

As for my bad-GM experience...

I was in an "advanced" game (or its equivalent) and the GM was one of those self-serving, self-involved loons. I had joined the game at the request of a friend (someone I've always wanted to RP with, but rarely got the chance to) and... terrible, terrible experience.

First, the GM would always randomly allow her character to earn spontaneous bursts of powers that made no sense and then cut down on all the other characters. We had split missions (missions divided into two teams) and... the team she was involved with, she always shone as the brightest motherfucking star. And the team she wasn't, she was always sure to knock us around with the NPC bad guys--drilling into our minds that we were not NEARLY as awesome as her character. Of course, she kept this all very, very subtle.

She gave her character glory and fame (via near-deaths, self-sacrifice, etc), but refused to let the other team dictate the course of their mission (she always maintained this rigid--you can't do this because it doesn't work like that and even though I'm doing it, I'm the GM and I'm working towards a storyline). It was such bullshit that, halfway through the game, I had given up and, instead of being productive, I spent all my time ripping on her character (and the other people's characters) via my character's post. Everyone else took it as good humor (writing it off as my character being the bitch that he is). And, to be honest, it was just a small, funny piece in an otherwise too-dramatic story. My character filled in the much-needed "comedic" role. The GM on the other hand... personally asked me if I genuinely believed the posts I was making and the opinions I held (namely that I thought her character was overly dramatic, idiotic, bland, and obvious, etc).

She was so butt hurt that I don't even... It was ridiculous.

.... I don't know how self-centered a person can be to take everything so... uh, personally. Like, wow, you had to really, really not see the big picture to think that every post is a post directed/targeted at you... Ridiculous. And, me being me, I just said: No. I don't connect to my characters like that. I write as I write for all my characters: Through the eyes and opinions of the character.

In any case, the RP turned into a huge shit-fest. Posts were a chore to read (even though they were all decently written) and handling the GM's drama-lama-life was.... well, draining.

And as for her character... omg, that RP. Almost all of the characters were hot, sexy, and suave. They were the most attractive, most irresistible piece of ass to have ever walked the living realm. It was seriously the hardest RP to understand. And the GM's character was, by far, the worst. Not only did she rip her design off of one of my characters (the code was markedly similar), but she did a shit-quality rip. If you're going to copy me, at least do it right... Like, her character... I don't. Omg, I can't even, LOL.

TUMBLR.

This is insane! I cannot express how much sympathetic face-palming I've been doing just reading this!

Most of mine have been on privately run forums, because I've always been a little nervous to jump out and write with people I've never written with before, so they were generally pretty safe as far as 'horror stories' go. And then the admin of one of these small-scale forums started opening it up for new members without approval or anything, saying that it might be good to get some fresh writing material in for us to work with and learn from.

Pretty good, sane idea really (apart from the automatic registration), so we all supported it.

I left it alone for one night and came back in the morning, just a quick log on while I had time to see if anything had happened, and yeah, we've got a few new members with quite a lot of new posts. One new character, 'Sandy', had addressed my more commonly used male character as part of her own little introductory post (completely regardless of the fact that he was in the middle of another conversation... And they were all in yet another character's house). I get that not everyone backreads, but this was a little weird - but it's a new player, and that can be hard to figure out sometimes, so whatever; I was happy to overlook it.

Then I really read the post. This 'Sandy' girl had stated that my character had assaulted her about ten years ago, after they had dated, and then left her to die somewhere. Oh, and this resulted in a pregnancy; twins, that had to grow up without him as a father because he never once tried to contact her again, and how could he?. She was overwhelmingly Mary-Sue, and the whole thing was ridiculous. When I panicked and complained, the Admin said she was just happy to have new people, and though she understood absolutely none of it fit with either the character or his history, could I just... Make it fit in somehow?

I left pretty quickly!
    Last edited by LyraHanson; 05-11-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    We were never tragedies; we were emergencies. Call 911, tell them I'm having a fantastic time.

Humble Farmer With a Sword MarineViolet's Avatar
    Land of Rocks and Dust (the midwest United States)
    Oooooooh, I have an awesome story, rather than a sad one. You know those people who are so obsessed with RP'ing that they do it on omegle? Apparently I know such a person.

Long story short, I was on omegle, having manually filled in my interests instead of using FB's. This person shows up, having mutual interests. They were vague, the only interests being animals and dogs, so I'm all like "HELLO" and this person immediately says to me "Yo, I don't support dog fighting but let's RP some dog fighting out." And at first I was like

O.O What
    Then I was like:
    HOT DAMN LET'S DO THIS

and we did it, and it was awesome. Anyone wants a link to see it? It's pretty awesome. We RP'ed out, OOc'ed, it was actually pretty fun and the person seemed experienced. In fact if I do dare say, it was better than the HG RP mentioned above, even though it was short and the stranger bailed on me. Oh well. I spent 30 minutes looking for them again, never found them. Goddangit. It was fun while it lasted though.

The best part was that since it was on the fly and anonymous, there was no waiting, there was no major discussion, that shit was fast, it was pretty, and holy shit was it awesome. Have I mentioned how awesome it was?

It was awesome. Man I wish FB RP's were that awesome.

Once again:

AWESOME
    *is a filthy homestuck*
    Find me here!

@ MARINE : Oh wow, I didn't know people RP'ed on Omegle... lol...

And, yeah, some times, all I want to do is a quick chat-based RP. I don't think I've done anything with rapid-posting in a while now... and, of course, every game I GM requires an inordinate amount of planning... D;

TUMBLR.

Welcome to my life Jing! >D

Wow, I can totally relate to your stories guys... sounds like horrible stuff.

My worst one that I can think of was back when I was on Coloholics. (another RP)

At some point, I was part of a NBRP (nation-based role-play, where you control an entire nation instead of a single character) and I was doing research in order to incorporate what can best be described as the bastard child of a gathling gun and a ballista. It was somewhat far-fetched, but another player had incorporated unicorns into his army and that shit flew so I figured I'd give it a shot. It was a coin toss and ultimately the GM refused, which was fine by me. If there's a legitimate reason for the GM's ruling there's no reason to question it.

The problem is that at a later point, someone who was on the site for longer than me ripped the idea. This time however, the GM (who was apparently friends with that person) allowed it. But that's not all. When I went to confront him about it, he simply went with the "I changed my mind" excuse. When I asked if I could use my own invention now that it was allowed, he said; "No, since another country's already made it, you'll have to (insert very long and tedious, too bothersome to explain process here) and then wait for the next IG month." I then asked if there was a shorter process, trying to be the bigger man in the situation, and suddenly my country is declared enemy of the alliance...

Considering I had made virtually no military alliances at this (very) early stage of the game, I was pretty much boned at this point. Needless to say, I left the RP.

I tried to continue RPing on the website afterwards, one bad experience shouldn't define an entire community after all, but I was often refused entry to role-plays despite my characters following to the letter the rules of the RP. When I asked about this, I was told that backing out of that RP had led to a bad rep and that people didn't want a potentially important character leaving mid-story, so they'd rather not accept me than risk this. But that's not even the worst part.

Once I explained the reason for my backing out, the GMs of other RPs actually sided with that GM, purely on grounds of ancienty. I realized at that point that the level of maturity of that website wasn't enough for me and I opted to leave before any more damage was done to my patience and sanity.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.