Login to your account

The Chessmen

You don’t need to know the game of chess to watch the battle between its pieces... (A superhero game.)......

Tags: dice, fighting, heroes, magic, powers, psychological, risk, superheroes

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Open

Creator: Maneki Neko

Created: 06-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC

Overview

Introduction

The Grand Master of chess - a mysterious, quite old gentleman - was assassinated, something strange happened. Some people swear a blue light flashed from him like a shock wave. No one quite knows exactly what happened, or even exactly who the Grand Master was before he died - but people are now starting to see evidence that strange, magical, wonderful, and even terrifying things are happening that never happened before... except in the myths and legends of old.

Will you be one of the 16 men and women of The Chessmen, a group of do-good superheroes formed from those who had powers awakened within them?
Or will you be one of the 16 men and women of B.L.A.C.K. - a group who likewise had powers awakened within them after the assassination of the Grand Master, but see no need to use their powers in the protection of others?

You don’t need to know the game of chess to watch the battle between its pieces...

Rules

Please note that you do not have to understand anything at all about chess to play this game. It’s not a requirement, a suggestion, or even wishful thinking. I’m just using chess as a convenient theme for the game and don’t know as much as I’d like to about it myself. :)

0) Obey site T.O.S. (obviously!)

1) Players must be willing to play the game via an IRC chatroom.
If you can’t make group sessions, then arrangements can be made. (I play best by chat format.)
IRC server, channel, and password information will be PMed to accepted players.

2) Players must be willing to ask questions if they’re confused.
Don’t be shy or afraid of looking silly. I derp frequently.

3) Players should be mature enough to handle more “mature” storylines. (Game is rated roughly PG-13.)
I don’t exactly mean sex and gore. This is still an General Audiences game, after all. But there will be off-screen sex and violence and hopefully some psychological drama and in-character conflict. I’m aiming to stick characters into conflicts and make them question things. If you’re not up to have your characters tortured and traumatized (both mentally and physically in non-graphic detail), then maybe you should wait to apply to see how the game progresses before you commit. The game will certainly have its silly-fun times, but this isn’t a Saturday Morning Cartoon superhero story.
PS: I’m using this rule to include warning that I accept characters of any gender or orientation. So if you’re not comfy with that, please bow out now.

4) Leave the OOC drama at the door, please.
You don’t have to like each other to play together. What happens IC belongs IC. Resolve it IC or get over it.

5) Play fair.
In giving players the most freedom to enjoy themselves, I’m trying to keep this game streamlined. Please don’t think that just because I don’t have a rule against ripping characters’ heads off without their players’ permission that means that you can just do it without giving the other player/character time to react and hopefully counter it. No one should die unless they roll badly or their player thinks it’s “only fair” that they die. That goes for the attacked character as much as the attacking character - you can’t duck and dodge forever. If someone’s thing is they can throw fire and you’re vulnerable to fire, you should at least be singed every once in awhile.

6) Characters WILL DIE.
It’s going to happen. Maybe not your character. You’re perfectly free to play it safe and not do anything risky. But please be aware that characters will have the risk of dying and you should be prepared for not only death, but possibly the character never coming back to life.

If anything else comes up, I’ll add the rules, but hopefully these will suffice!

PS: I don’t govern the rating level of non-group games. So if you wanted to do a side plot or behind-the-scenes scene with any player (including me) that goes into the Mature rating - that’s perfectly fine. We’ll just post those logs/game threads to an archive thread and have a happy camper time playing more mature themes. I’m simply rating the game General Audiences so I can have more players who are more comfortable with General Audiences rating or aren’t old enough to play Mature storylines.