Login to your account

Thread: Adventures in Sewing

Adventures in Sewing

I can't be the only one who sews here, so it would be fun to have a space where we can all ask questions and show off the projects we've been working on.

Thanks to a big fabric sale in my town this week, I'm finally going to tackle the infinity dress. I've wanted one for a long time but never had the right material for it. Now I've got no excuse! I'll probably be using the pattern found over here.

Has anyone made an infinity dress before? Was it easy or surprisingly complicated?

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    Well, depending on the fabric you get and if you make it in the right size, it will probably look right. I've never made one, but after looking at the instructions and making a dress myself, I think it might actually be pretty easy. There may be a few complications with the straps though, so have the stitch cutter thingie ready. ^w^

I work mostly in altering my clothing to make cosplay, but I've made an Ouran High School Host Club Dress and it didn't fail too much. Though I really messed up the hem of the skirt... And now I'm working on altering some stuff for steampunk costumes for me and my friends.

Up to this point, the only clothing I've really sewn were reconstructions. It's fairly easy to take apart a shirt or dress and adjust the fabric so that it fits. I actually just finished tailoring a couple of suit jackets like that. But this will be the first time I've taken a few yards of fabric and actually turned it into something wearable. So we'll see how it goes!

I did get a lovely bright blue polyester knit to use, though. Just handling the fabric makes me feel pretty.

What sort of steampunk clothes are you making? I love seeing all the different interpretations that people come up with. Steampunk seems like such a personal style, everyone has their own little flare.

Ooohh... That sounds nice... Now I wanna go to my fabric store and just go around feeling materials...

I have an outfit put together already that can work as a mechanic's or an adventurer's outfit. Now I'm working on an everyday woman's dress, but I think it might turn out to be more of a lolita kind of thing instead of a traditional long hoop skirt and bustle.

I actually just finished up turning a prom dress I got from a resale shop and making it into a skirt that looks as if it has a bustle on it! ^w^ No more extra layers for me~! Living in Southern Texas makes wearing layers and heavy fabrics undesirable so its hard to find something that I can wear whenever I want. Its always sooo hot... -sigh-

Oh nice! I'm always tempted to buy a cheap prom dress and see what I could could make with them. They always turn up in thrift shops over the summer, when girls realize they don't have anywhere nice to store them. I'm sure that all that fabric and layers would be enough for a couple of projects.

I finished sewing this dress ages ago but have been having trouble photographing it! There must be a certain knack to tying it, because I am failing all over the place. Every attempt I make is slightly lopsided. But this is my best version to date, so it's at least worth sharing a few photos!

Last edited by Knerd; 07-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.

I am a terrible photographer so anything I take pictures of looks much worse than what it actually looks like. So I completely feel your pain.

I think the dress looks great. Maybe one day I will post pictures of some of my sewing adventures and misadventures. (mostly the latter sadly.)

I do have to admit the multi-top wrapping thingy has always baffled me (like physically tying it and making it all nice and doing different styles). But I am a fashion failure so it isn't surprising that something like that would thwart me.

The dress looks great and I think the photographs turned out fine, haha!

I'm somewhat tempted to try my hand at putting one together too (the versatile look of the whole thing is very, very attractive). Hmmm.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

The dress does look really good! I'm glad it came out as nice as it did. ^w^ I would probably make one myself, but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment. ._.

Thanks all! I'm prepared to call that dress a success. It's a bit formal-looking in real life, but I've already gotten some use out of it. And it really upped my confidence in sewing clothing. I'm working on a different dress right now. I feel like a regular Maria Von Trapp, making clothes out of an old bed sheet.

I want to see what other people are making!

Quote Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
    I finished sewing this dress ages ago but have been having trouble photographing it! There must be a certain knack to tying it, because I am failing all over the place. Every attempt I make is slightly lopsided. But this is my best version to date, so it's at least worth sharing a few photos!

OMG, I had no idea you could sew. This is amazing!

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Thanks! But I still can't tie that dress worth a damn! It came out well and I wear it occasionally, but it always slips down or ends up slightly lopsided. I just don't have the knack for wearing infinity dresses.

I made a couple others just like it, but they've all been given away so I don't have any more photos to share. The only other things I'm working on right now are quilts.

You can post quilt pictures! I can't sew at all so it's always nice to see what other people are capable of. Besides, quilts are awesome and suppa comfy!

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369