Login to your account

Thread: LuLu lost... Again.

LuLu lost... Again.

Anyways, so we'd already established my noobness... But considering my utter lack of ability to get around navigating this site, I'm in need of assistance... T^T" I feel very-- hm, what's the word...? Idiotic? Moronic? But I just can't quite figure out what is needed here. Of course, due to my impatience, I also wanted to start right away. That's not entirely working out for me at the moment, but... I really would like to know how it works here, to really get a feel of what "beginners," "intermediate," or "advanced" would be like. Considering, I'm quite known to have... Utterly lengthy responses, which I'll apologize for before hand...
    Crystalline tears will fall again...

If I may, might I suggest you give this a look-see? I think that might help you get a better grip on those terms and see that we're all a bit at a loss for what they truly mean.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Hm, alright! I understand your eagerness! Let me ask you, what is the first thing you want to do? ^__^
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Beginner, just like it says, these games are designed for beginner roleplayers. People new to the game, who do not have a lot of experience. These games are generally designed to be easier to understand, simpler concepts and plot lines that aren't overly complicated, that don't intimidate users who are not used to things like: multiple story lines, multiple plants/countries/locations running parallel to each other, or playing multiple characters. The demand for intricate, complicated characters is less too. In short simpler character designs. Everything a beginner needs to feel comfortable and at easy within a roleplaying environment.

Intermediate, these games are designed for players who have been in the game a while or are more comfortable with more complicated designs. Intermediate is a middle ground, and because it is some intermediate games are more geared in favor to users coming from the beginner roleplays, while other intermediate games are geared towards users who have more experience and are edging towards advanced games. This said in general the plots for intermediate games are more complicated, you often have chances to play multiple characters, larger worlds, and you'll find more finely defined worlds, races, and details. Again, as I said this is the middle ground so depending on the host the game may be geared to one or the other end of the spectrum.

Advanced, these games are for those players who have been in the roleplaying game a while. Most advanced games have complicated, overlapping worlds and story lines, multiple characters, higher character design expectations, and player involvement (such as players being included in the development, design, and building of entire worlds, races, and cultures on top of the expectation of designing their individual characters and posting in the game.) Advance games often touch on multiple parallel running story lines, and in many cases are large scale games that involve multiple environments (worlds, races, cultures). Many advance games have combat system, or magic system, and in general are very intricately designed. They really are for very experienced players.

None of these groups are based on paragraph count. The WTFRPG community, in general, avoids the use of the commonly adhered to paragraph paradigm. Most games players are expected to write what they deem necessary to convey an idea, move a plot forward, and be interesting. You'll notice in most games players write any number of paragraphs and there is no minimum or maximum expectation (in some games there can be a moderate to extreme difference in paragraphs written from post to post). On the other hand, some games do have specific expectations, you simply need to read over the game to know what is expected of you.

This brings me to one last point. Some beginner games, players may write a lot, and in some advance games you'll notice they don't write a lot (or in most cases it varies). So when it comes to choosing a game you need to read the overview of each RP, see what the host expects of their players, see if you like the plot, the design of the game, and if you're even interested in it. All the games have their merits, it's really mostly about finding something you can get into and be part of and REALLY ENJOY! So just see what is out there.

I hope you aren't searching based on paragraph count, you may find it hard to do here.

Here is what the sites owners say each rating is:

What is the minimum amount of experience you looking for in a player?

“Beginner” suggests you are looking for a player of any level of skill, from someone who just decided to pick it up today, to someone who’s been playing in forum rpgs for 10+ years, and played table-top games for 10+ years before that.

“Intermediate” suggests you’re not looking for someone who just started, but it’s not really important to you how much experience they’ve had so far as long as they’ve got the basic ideas down and have decent role-playing skills.

“Advanced” suggests you’re looking for players with a good deal of experience and a high degree of writing skills. It is highly suggested that if you choose “Advanced” that you are equally advanced. You will put off players if your own writing skills are Intermediate or Beginner and you say you’re looking for “Advanced” players.

You might like to clarify what you’re looking for in a player in the sections below.
    Which are a little different from what I said . . . though, I feel what I said is equally as valid an assessment . . . either way.

HERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET STARTED, to help learn the site a little.

edit: Guess I want to add "a high degree of writing skills" doesn't have anything to do with paragraph count . . . guess the real thing is paragraph count just ain't a big thing here, hopefully (really, I do hope it isn't somewhat that is leaking into the community, I would be so sad, but now I'm projecting . . . move on, sorry.)

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    If I may, might I suggest you give this a look-see? I think that might help you get a better grip on those terms and see that we're all a bit at a loss for what they truly mean.
    Actually, that is a TERRIBLE thread to link to . . . that thread is actually a debate, one I brought over from Gaia a while ago. The "literacy levels" there are the paradigm I mentioned. We, or at least I seriously HOPE TO BABY JESUS, do not adhere to them here. I would not base your knowledge on the content of that thread. Feel free to debate the paradigm and usage of the terms. Otherwise, just go off of what I said above.
    Last edited by Strude; 05-30-2012 at 01:43 AM.

My referencing that was more of an example of how such broad terms can be seen and taken differently. Not really an answer to the question, but to given Lulu and idea as to how things can be viewed differently by different people.

Just because they're spelled out in various locations doesn't mean that's what the GM is looking for. I know when I was new to this site and asked someone what the terms meant they said, based on their own interpretation, that "advanced" meant people who had been on the site the longest. Weird. I know, but not everyone abides by the definitions given (maybe because they didn't find them or were too lazy to look). Like, for me, Advanced means your ability to contribute to the storyline while creating interesting characters that engage others and move the plot along. You don't necessarily have to be an expert and you don't have to be a pro. Hell, you could be some new guy off the street who just so happens to be awesome. But, I also think Advanced refers to post-length and quality (by all means it does not mean you write a ten page post because, if it's not written with great quality and rational, it's useless). So it indirectly relates back to the link I used, which is discussing the terms that are tossed around to describe posting levels.

Anyway, Lulu, I guess my suggestion to you would be to ask the GM what they mean by their chosen label. But, let it be known, that Beginner is the default label. So I would only ask about the Intermediate or Advanced labels, should you feel obligated to know the exact meaning behind them.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Ah, well either way I still don't think my shitty discussion is a good place to link. I did link to the guide that covers what the term meanings according to the sites owner, and quoted it. Generally, it's more or less based on experience and that is, as with post length and any other rating in paragraph RPing, rather subjective. *shrugs*

I figure why worry about it really, if you think you're a certain whatever . . . and you meet the requirements set by the game host . . . then why sweat it.

See, unlike you I think I'm advance because I've been at it for 13 years . . . I know a thing or two and can do just about anything any RP requires me to do . . . so I don't much worry about rating myself, I can do anything! >D

Hi Lulu, you've been given tons of help already, so I'm not going to talk about levels, but I just want to let you know that generally WTF is a very friendly site, and pretty much all GMs are more than happy to answer your questions. We all love each other here, and Xavirne, Schizophrenic, and Strude are all great resources! I can also offer you a fair amount of help as well if you'd like.

But honestly, beyond what was posted here, the best advice you can get is to relax and explore. Enjoy yourself, and if you have a question ask, talk to people, see whats up on here. What sort of RP do you find most interesting? Perhaps I can give you a little direction?
    Looking for Rps! Message me!

If you are concerned about the level of the game you are looking to join- send a PM to the Admin of the game if you have questions. Most will be pretty helpful if you just ask them what is expected out of a player. Some are even willing to help you "rise up" to the level of the game if you are feeling like it may be too advanced for you.

It can also help to read through the Overview. Usually this will give you an idea not only about the game, but about the expectation of the GM. The Overview can set the tone of the game and the "level" of the game- especially if you see what is expected of character design.