Login to your account

Thread: BESM Traditional RP: Sailor Star Signs!

BESM Traditional RP: Sailor Star Signs!

The Game
    This is a BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) traditional style roleplaying game. It is also Sailor Moon which means that it is in no way to be taken seriously. This is magical girls at its finest and silliest. I chose BESM because it is pretty easy to set up a character and a great "gateway" system to more intricate, rules heavy gaming systems. I also chose it because it is fun and amuses me.

True to the Magical Girls Genre, this will be run episodically with an over arching story that connects each one of the "seasons". There will be fights with Yoma, there will be romance, there will be a grand epic evil, and there will be power ups!

There are 8 available spots for players, but I will set-up the game when just 3 people who show interest. I have all of the game mechanics typed up and character generation explained in simple terms (complete with an example character). I will also help you create your character if you run into problems.

When
    It is 1956. Everybody likes Ike and the Cold War is starting to rear its ugly head though Stalin is dead. The Korean War has come to an end and the age of McCarthyism is dying a slow death. America is prosperous and people are moving out to the suburbs. Teenagers watch giant monster movies at the Drive-In Theater and stop by the malt shop on the way home. On the radio, Elvis is King, holding 9 Billboard 100 spots. Jerry Lee Lewis, Frankie Lyman, The Platters, Carl Perkins and Little Richard are huge. Dick Clack hosts the American Bandstand- a television show aimed at music, dance and teenagers. The Olympics are being held this year in Australia.

Since this is Sailor Moon, this is set in the idealized 1950's. Sure there are elements of realism, but for the most part think cheesy 1950's Fonzy-esque setting. We may even jump the sharktopus. General physics will apply generally, but then again, there is magic, so sometimes physics won't apply.

Where
    This game is set in Piney Bay, California- a totally made up city that is a distant suburb of San Francisco. It is located south of San Francisco on a small forested bay. It is the generic American Suburb- it has a main strip with diners, clothing shops, appliance stores, a movie theater and the town hall. The population of the town is a mixture of white, Japanese, black and Hispanic- though mostly white. (More information available if this game takes off.)

Who are You?
    You will play one of the Sailors or Knights of the Zodiac. Aside from that, anything is fair game. Remember, all Sailor Scouts are girls when transformed and all Knights are boys when transformed.

You should think about your character- How old are they? Are you a Knight or a Sailor Scout? How smart? What do they enjoy? What is their family like? Who are their friends? What school do you attend? Remember, the game is set in the 1950's, so you want to make sure your character is appropriate to the time.

Remember, this is a Sailor Moon style game and should in no way be taken seriously. This is cheesy anime at its finest. Make a fun character that you enjoy playing. Want to be a ditz? Be a ditz! Want to be a cool dude? Be a cool dude! Want to be a drama queen? Be a drama queen! Want to be a boy who transforms into a girl? Absolutely acceptable.

The Zodiac Signs (Unique Information for the Sailors)
    * non-playable characters
    Sign Symbol Dates Element Emotion Stone Color
    Aries The Ram 21 March – 20 April Lightning Tenacity Citrine Yellow
    Taurus The Bull 21 April – 21 May Earth Vigor Emerald Vibrant Green
    Gemini* The Twins 22 May – 21 June Time Melancholy Lapis Lazuli Royal Blue
    Cancer The Crab 22 June – 22 July Ice Fortitude Coral Pink
    Leo The Lion 23 July – 21 August Fire Bravery Ruby Orange
    Virgo The Virgin 22 August – 23 September Sound Delight Diamond White
    Libra* The Scales 24 September – 23 October Balance Stiocism Opal Silver
    Scorpio* The Scorpion 24 October – 22 November Gravity Pride Topaz Red
    Sagittarius The Archer / Centaur 23 November – 22 December Air Fury Sapphire Indigo
    Capricorn The Goat 23 December – 20 January Wood Humor Jade Light Green
    Aquarius The Water Bearer 21 January – 19 February Water Fickleness Aquamarine Turquoise
    Pisces* The Fish 20 February – 20 March Metal Gloom Peridot Gold

A Small Taste of the BESM System

BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) is traditionally a Tri-Stat system (there is a d20 based BESM, but this isn't that). This means that you only have three stats that define your character. These three stats are used to calculate everything else about your character from Hit Point to your Defensive values.

In BESM, the three stats are Body, Mind and Soul.

Body covers everything that has to do with your physical person: strength, speed, constitution, etc. If you want to jump over a wall, your Body stat affects how well you can do it. If you want to resist poison, Body stat. You want to run away really fast, Body stat.

Mind covers everything to do with your mental person: how smart you are, how much you know, how able you are to understand concepts, etc. If you want to remember what you read in a book, you Mind stat affect how well you remember it. If you want to learn something new, Mind stat. You want to solve a puzzle? Mind Stat.

The Soul stat is probably one of the hardest to understand. But basically, it covers everything that the Body and the Mind stats don't cover. It is your willpower. It is your spirituality, your faith, your core person. It is your ability to fight on even though you are in pain. It is your magical root.

There are attributes and defects that can affect these three base stats. So you can increase these base stats. It is the final stat that is used to calculate all your other stats, not the original base.

So, these three stats are used to calculate all your other stats. Let us break it down.

Hit Points(HP) – Your ability to take damage.
    HP = ((Body + Soul) * 5)

Energy Points(EP) – Your ability to use spells/magic/special attacks.
    EP = ((Mind + Soul) * 5)

Attack Combat Value(ACV) – Your ability to hit/attack things.
    ACV = ((Body + Mind + Soul) ÷ 3)

Defensive Combat Value(DVC) – Your ability to dodge/avoid attacks.
    DCV = (ACV – 2)

Now, like with your Tri-Stats, each one of these stats may have bonuses or deficits based on the attributes or defects you have taken with your character. For example, there is an Attribute called "Damn Healthy!" that adds HP to your total based on the level you have in the attribute.

All dice rolls involve 2 6-sided die (2d6). You roll these two die, add them together and hope they are beneath your value in the stat. A roll of 2 always succeed (Critical Success!) and a roll of 12 always fails (Critical Failure!).

Last edited by Utopia; 04-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I think I found a Sailor Moon dressing game once. It could only do females however.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

I will try to find one that will do Knights as well as Senshi.

But a great Senshi can be found here: http://www.dolldivine.com/sailor-senshi-maker.php

On another note, this will be a beginner game. One sentence? No problem. Bad at English? No problem. Never played before? No problem. Never even Roleplayed before? No problem.

I like to think of it as a gateway game into doing other, more complicated systems on here. Yes, BESM is silly and Sailor Moon is silly. But, they are easy and fun. I will in no way take this game at all seriously and I am hoping that others won't as well. I have all the character creation details typed up and prepared (not just the basics above) and I will even make your character for you if you so desire.

With the influx of new players, I am thinking about trying once again to gather some interest in this. It is meant to be fun, cute, silly and low stress. I hope to capture all the Sailor Moon epic magical girls drama and fun.

The Premise ||

It is 1956. Everybody likes Ike and the Cold War is starting to rear its ugly head though Stalin is dead. The Korean War has come to an end and the age of McCarthyism is dying a slow death. America is prosperous and people are moving out to the suburbs. Teenagers watch giant monster movies at the Drive-In Theater and stop by the malt shop on the way home. On the radio, Elvis is King, holding 9 Billboard 100 spots. Jerry Lee Lewis, Frankie Lyman, The Platters, Carl Perkins and Little Richard are huge. Dick Clack hosts the American Bandstand- a television show aimed at music, dance and teenagers.

But, below this idyllic surface, the yoma lurk. The Negaverse is slowly creeping into this world. They want to take this shining beacon as their own; stealing its energy and its lifeforce. Who can stop it? Who can protect this world so The Crystal Tokyo of the future can be safe? Who can keep the Negaverse from using the past to change the future?

Assemble Sailor and Knights of the Zodiac! Save the past from the Negaverse to protect the future!

Not really a fan of sailor moon...buuut if I get to cause some mayhem as a knight joining seems worthwhile
    plus im gonna try for taurus cause it's what I am ^_^
    Friendly Neighbourhood Gunsligner
    'Tag...you're it...*shoots*'