Login to your account

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ✪ Anime & Manga ✪ Discuss, Review, Enjoy.

✪ Anime & Manga ✪ Discuss, Review, Enjoy.

Anime & Manga

Welcome, Here is a place for us fans to post and discuss what we are currently watching and reading in the anime/manga world. It doesn't have to be the most current thing, who knows you could have just stumbled upon a manga you've been meaning to read for years! Well we'd like to hear about it, was the storyline riveting? Were the characters bland? Give us the 411 here! Feel free to openly discuss, debate, inquire or simply explode about all that is anime and manga!

If you wish to submit an official review I will happily move your review to the WTFReviews Blog for all to see! I encourage you to offer additional reviews to the titles already listed but also to contribute additional reviews as well!

Note : This thread branches off from the group Anime & Manga. I brought it to the forums because posts in groups have limited characters and don't get as much attention as the forums do.
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 09-16-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Most Recent Reviews

REVIEWER: jingRAWR
    TITLE: ANOTHER / アナザ
    GENRE: HORROR / MYSTERY / SUPERNATURAL
    RATING: 4.5/5

REVIEW: I loved Another. It is a short series (totals thirteen episodes, averaging twenty minutes per episode) and well-paced! The artwork is decent (traditional anime-style), but a little heavy on the gore (although that is to be expected). In terms of story, Another is both consistent and well-presented. As it is a "mystery," Another leaves tons of clues and hints throughout the series before going out with a well-thought out, well-executed bang.

And, despite giving the audience a chance to unravel the truth before the big revelation, the ending is not entirely predictable (it does, however, get a bit more obvious within the last three or so episodes).

I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys on-the-edge suspension and won't mind a bit of blood. The death scenes CAN be a bit overwhelming, but it really adds to the series.

REVIEWER: jingRAWR
    TITLE: MAWARU PENGUIN DRUM /輪るピングドラム
    GENRE: ... Too hard to categorize.
    RATE: 4.5/5

REVIEW: There are elements of a shoujo-base to the series, but, at the same time, there is something more present. Personally, I think this series is suited for all types of audience. The artwork is brilliant, the soundtrack is appropriate, and the story is something that's just plain good.

In the beginning, the series starts off as a typical anime, but, as it develops, the anime possesses great dialogue, great scenes, and excellent characters. The character development in the series is something I have always enjoyed.

REVIEWER: Schiz
    TITLE: SAKURAN VOL. 1
    GENRE: Drama, Ecchi, Historical, Seinen, Josei
    RATE: 4.5/5

REVIEW: I managed to read this thirteen chapter manga in one sitting last night, unable to put it down. The art style isn't what I'm used to seeing, but I still loved it. Almost every chapter had a few full color pages that were absolutely stunning.

Sakuran gave me a peek into the life of a courtesan. At times I thought they were much like celebrities, at others they felt more like prisoners. There were times when Kiyoha's tenacious antics made me laugh - which made it all the more harder to see someone so strong show moments of weakness.

The only issue is that occasionally (mainly in the beginning) it is hard to tell who is who in the female cast - ya know, with every female with the same hair and style of dress. Oh! And that this is the only volume to be released.
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 09-16-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Personally, for me, I thought DRRR was interesting, but lacks execution to make it really all that special. It's slow to pick up and flatlines shortly after it does. The only thing I liked about the series was it's narration. It's really a nice concept, but it just doesn't follow through on overall delivery.

Right now I'm watching Another and I think I might put up a review for it when it finishes, but so far it's really interesting

When I get a chance -- might be in March -- I'll write reviews for the anime I've watched that haven't been previously covered by myself. These are the ones I can think of and will, eventually, write about.

COMPLETED
    Black Cat
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
    Death Note
    Digimon Adventure 01
    Digimon Adventure 02
    Digimon Tamers
    Digimon Frontiner
    Digimon Data Squad
    DNAngel
    Durarara!!
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Ga-Rei: Zero
    Hakuōki Hekketsuroku
    Hakuōki Shinsengumi Kitan
    Kuroshitsuji (Season One)
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Paradice Kiss
    RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~
    Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings
    Spice and Wolf
    Spice and Wolf II
    Toradora!
    Uta no Prince-sama
    Vampire Knight
    Vampire Knight Guilty
    xxxHolic
    xxxHolic: Kei
    xxxHolic: Shunmuki
    Yozakura Quartet

IN PROGRESS
    The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
    Okamikakushi
    Un-Go
    Hetalia

Last edited by Xavirne; 01-31-2012 at 11:24 PM.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Off that list I've seen, Death Note, DNAngel, OHSHC, Uta no Prince-sama, xxxHolic. I think I watched the first few episodes of Spice and Wolf and RIN, and read a couple Vampire Knight. Looking forward to reviews from ya!

A lot of those I haven't heard of, which makes me more interested in knowing what you think.

Jiyul - None of the characters I've seen are transparent at all, I try to avoid anime with characters that are paper thin and easy to explain. But my full analysis will come once I finish up.

Never heard of Another, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

I have more than a few reviews I still need to put up there, I also just picked up March Story, which I already love and I'm only half a volume in.

I ordered B Gata H Kei combo pack which i'll get hopefully next week in the mail but I won't review the series until I finish episodes 3-12 in the english dub.

lolol, schizo, lol.. i'll assume you meant me when you referred to jiyul, lolol.

DRRR's drawbacks and failures, in my opinion, weren't predicated on their characters (although, if i were honest, i also found some of their characters rather predictable and obvious) rather it was more centralized to how the story picks up and then how it just doesn't deliver. the series, for me, was slow to start. it takes forever to build up and then, when it finally gets to its point, it falls short of achieving anything, really. there's a whole bunch of abrupt endings/rushed closers and you're just left feeling kind of cheated for the time you spent watching it.

now, don't get me wrong. i don't think the series, as an overall anime, is something terrible or shouldn't be watched. in fact, i usually recommend it to friends, who like anime and the likes. but i also won't be the first one to tell people how wonderful it is either. it's a good time-suck, but it's not something that has me sitting on edge wanting more. haha.

also, i know, from a lot of my friends, the series gets to be kind of confusing/information overload. but, i think that was mainly how quickly the text/chat-room scenes flew by. although, that's not really the fault of the anime as it was geared towards an audience, who spoke the language, lol. but, yeah, i don't know. i just found the series a bit disappointing at the end. a decent series, but nothing to rave about.

if that makes sense.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

as for anime series i have watched that i will leave a review for, maybe. I have some overlap with Xavi on series, but, I figured, given the fact that this is just a collective review, no harm in overlap... lol

Air Gear
    Axis Power Heatlia
    Baccano
    Blood+
    Code Geass 1 & 2
    Darker Then Black 1 & 2
    Death Note 1 & 2
    Descendants of Darkness
    D.N. Angel
    Gakuen Heaven
    Hell Girl
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn
    Kuroshitsuji 1 & 2
    Kyou Kara Maou
    Junjou Romantica 1 & 2
    Nabari no Ou
    Ouran Highschool Host Club
    Saki
    Seito Kaichou Ni Chuukoku
    Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi 1 & 2

Another (in-progress)
    Deadman Wonderland (in-progress)
    Guilty Crown (in-progress)

For now that's all I can remember off the top of my head, but, you know, will deal with new ones when they crop up.
    Last edited by joonsexual; 02-01-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Axis Power Heatlia: ★★★★☆

Even if you're not into history, Hetalia is worth watching. It's entertaining (if you're into political/historical satire) and the episodes are divided into short five-minute clips. I've watched both the original and the dub and, honestly, they're both pretty good. But, due to the pace of the show, unless you don't mind pausing and rewinding every few seconds to minutes, I would recommend watching it in English (things tend to go by really fast).

The very first episode is a little disorienting because it bounces so quickly from nation to nation, but the first episode is really there just to give you an idea of the characters. Following episodes aren't as disorganized.

In terms of storyline — it supposedly follows the events of WWI/WWII, but that varies and, often times, the series is just focused on poking fun at stereotypes. If you're into strong character development, provoking plots, etc — you might not be so pleased with APH. It is, primarily, a comedic sketch (although there are dramatic moments) and, really, is just a relaxed, laid-back series.

Darker Than Black 1 & 2: ★★★☆☆

The series, should honestly, only be scored a 2.5, but I rounded it up for the three (since I couldn't do a half star, lol).

Overall, the series is an action-packed title. They are plenty of characters, a bit of intrigue, and, overall, a decent storyline. But all this falls through the cracks with season 2. Season 2 is, in comparison to Season 1, slow and predictable (except for the big reveal about Hei). It never recovers and the ending is highly unsatisfying. I liked the concept presented, but SSN2 is really a huge disappointment. And I wish I could say: Just watch SSN1 and forget about SSN2, but the two are very much connected and SSN2 ties up the loose ends SSN1 couldn't.

No, that made perfect sense! I enjoy constructive criticism just as much as I enjoy hearing people praise the shows that deserve to be praised!

I agree that language barriers can hinder a show to an english speaking audience. I know of more than a few that have quick back and forth speech, or even arguments that are hard to follow when you have to keep up with the three lines of text at a time. xD

Yay~ Reviews! And I've seen both of these!

I was a non stop laugh machine while watching Hetalia. It's easy to knock out all the episodes in a short amount of time considering their length, and ended up going through them really quickly. It's easy to watch, the stereotypes and the way of storytelling is hilarious.

I occasionally wish there were more episodes, or maybe the episodes were longer... but that's just me being greedy. And.. the series probably wouldn't have worked out as well if it wasn't set up the way it was, considering where it originated.

I looked all over the internet for a half star. ;-; Doesn't exist. Grrr. I hadn't gone into Season 2, but to be honest. This isn't a show you can just watch and text, or watch while doing various other things. It really demands all of your attention due to all the action and what not. I found myself needing to rewind and go back a lot because I missed things.

Haha, I always wish there was more Hetalia. But I think it's, as it is, really entertaining and good, lol.

It's okay. 2.5/3 — about the same thing, lol.

Yeah, I loved how Darker Than Black started! It was so interesting and really kept you on your feet. Plus, everything tied up so neatly. I think the idea DTB2 tried to keep with was a good idea. I just think the dialogue between characters could have been better and the scenes they chose could have been WAY better. Some of the scenes are seriously: WTF-face. Or maybe it's because I got really sick and tired of, ah, I can't remember her name, but the girl who can see the future. SHE. MOST. IRRITATING. PERSON. EVER. -____-);

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Kyou Kara Maou 1 & 2 & 3: ★★☆☆☆

The series starts of hilariously! It has an excellent hook and the first few episodes will keep you moderately to greatly entertained (more so if you've got a thing or two for some boy-love). But after you've stomached the first twenty or thirty episodes, the series will either a) be just as hilariously entertaining as the first few episodes or b) be frustratingly intolerable. I found that the show wasn't too bad if a) I had other things to do such as housework or b) I was dying of boredom. I watched all the way to season 3, but I never managed to finish the last four episodes.

The problem with KKM is that, once the novelty wears off, you're stuck with nothing, but an insipidly idiotic lead character, who's only objective, in every episode, is to get into MORE idiotic situations. Maybe I'm being harsh (because there are those who really enjoyed the series), but I honestly would not recommend the series to anyone. It's funny — here and there — but the funny doesn't outweigh the utterly useless (forever damsel-in-distress) main character. Plus, the storyline gets extremely out of hand, convoluted, and, overall, rather disorganized.

Junjou Romantica 1 & 2: ★★★☆☆

Warning: This is yaoi — and I mean that it does get "graphic."

If you're into nonsensical sweetness then this is your cup of tea. The artwork is decent, the various plots... eh, they could do with some serious fine-tuning. My primary problem with this series is how it opens. Right at the very beginning, Misaki is being molested/attacked by Akihiko. And, from there, true love blossoms. The other two couples are less outrageous, but they have their own problems to contend with. Overall, though, the series is a happy one and, if you're into slash, I'd say you should give it a go.

LOL, you have such a wide range of genre's in the anime you watch. How do you go about picking up a new series? Do you go by recommendations? Or search for certain genre's depending on your current mood?

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Oh, and have you ever stumbled upon Antique Bakery?

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Uh oh! I just realized there is a character limit! How should I go about this? Maybe make a blog or something... or a tumblr to link away to?

Suggestions?

LOL, some series are recommended, other series are stumbled upon, etc. No real system, but my tastes are really varied too, lol.

And, yes! Yes I have! Haha.

Hn, you could try to create a separate thread? Like, in that thread create twenty six posts, one for each letter of the alphabet?

And, here, instead of including summaries + reviews, why not just title and key words (genre) and have the title link to the corresponding post? It might get really messy though... .____.; I'm not to good with this kind of stuff, haha.

What did you think of the show? I once again, never finished it. But after getting pointed in that direction, I did enjoy it. The unique intro to the show sticks vividly in my mind!

Any idea how I could get around posts meshing into one another?

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Like this?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

And this!

In "Go Advanced" it lets you distinguish between merging the post or creating an entirely separate post.

As for Antique Bakery... I really liked it! Haha. It does get a little boring (randomly), but then you're reminded of how this story is just about the lives of four men, connected only by their work. There's something really endearing about that normalcy of the situations and, overall, I just thought it was a really well pieced together story. The drama, I was less impressed by, but, it is live-action, lol.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Oh, just kidding, lol. I guess the option to make this a separate post... was taken out... lol

Hm, I'm going to create something today. Not sure what, but something to store this info nicely. So anyone wondering if you can still post reviews, continue! I just can't put them in the index quite yet.

Urg...I will have to do this. I have seen...a lot. I am old school as well. I need to scan through my books and such. I will definitely get back to this though.

So! I made a blog to store the index. Figured it would be the easiest way to go about it. I was mulling around the idea of making a FFRP and using it as the index but I know that would be abusing the feature... and waiting 6 hours to post separate posts to assure they don't blend together for every letter of the alphabet seemed like more work than I wanted to do. So...

http://wtfrpgreviews.blogspot.com/

That is where I will be storing these from now on. I'm going to edit the first post and what not so everything is all organized but yeah. Problem solved!

Ewww. BlogSpot. WordPress is better. XD

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

It's funny that you say that, because I made it on WordPress first, and then didn't like it... >_>
    So I went back and made one on blogspot. xD

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

But I don't think I have the blog making magic. So that's probably it. xD

I have blog making magic.

Maybe someone wants to make a pretty blog and then I can just do all the other work? xD
    Since I feel like I'm not doing this justice at all!!
    ^^; /bloggerfail.

Quote Originally Posted by jingRAWR View Post
    Right now I'm watching Another and I think I might put up a review for it when it finishes, but so far it's really interesting
    I just stumbled on a preview! I'm watching the first episode like NOW.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

And... everything is all set up as it should be. The blog as all the reviews recieved so far so that is up to date and I edited the OP, cleaning out the old index and providing a link.

We're good to go~

Haha, what do you think of the series so far?

I'm diggin it. But anything with the potential for close up crazy eye shots are appealing to me, lolol.

I laughed when the intro song first began, the beat surprised me a little. I expected something less bouncy!

I love the bird that says good morning and how are you.. but even he is kind of creepy. And those quick cuts to the dolls... yeesh! Everything about it reads impending doom, but keeps me nice and curious for what is to come next.

My face.. when Misaki says "Sa- ka- ki- ba- ra." ಠ_ಠ

Anyway... onto the second episode~!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Episode 2, y u no show me wats under eyepatch?

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Holy episode 3! D: How far did you get in this show, jing?

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Oh no! Just realized it's current. DAMMIT. D:>

I would suggest making the Letters categories instead of Entries and that you can categorize your posts by letter and maybe by genre as well.

I will now... attempt to figure that out. >_>

Well, I would recommend making parent categories Manga and Anime, The Sub categories of genre and alphabetical in each, then the genres and like A-D, E-G etc.
    That way, you just have to mark each entry with the category (or multi-category) and then make new posts.

I'm on the fourth episode, lol.

Yeah, it's on-going... lol. xD; Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. But I think there's only like... thirteen or twenty episodes? Haha.

Yeah, like thirteen or fourteen. I actually am enjoying much of the Winter season. I normally don't watch anything current... but it kind of makes me keep up with shows. I dunno, like.. because they leave me hanging and I have to wait for the next episode I get more excited than a show I start watching that is already finished and has like 54 episode for me to conquer. xD

I generally only watch/read series that are completed. I hate not knowing how something ends.