Login to your account

Thread: 2012...The New Year Thread

2012...The New Year Thread

Well, it is the New Year.

There is almost as much apocalypse talk this year as there was in the year 2000 (I know...that was one awesome Apocalypse New Year's party, this one is just old hat now).

So, Happy New Year.

Anyone have any interesting resolutions?

How about any interesting New Year's traditions?

My resolution is to do at least 20 sit-ups every day, 10 push-ups and to keep steady at no more than one cup of caffeine a day. I was going to add the goal of getting back to my pre-baby weight, but that seems a little nebulous.

Here in the south there is this tradition of eating collard greens and black eye peas for New Year's. I hadn't heard of it until I moved here, but supposedly it is to have luck in health and money for the new year.

This may sound silly, but this year I want to say "Yes." to things more often. I always turn down valuable life experiences for hanging out at home, and I think now is about the right time to take some more chances in life!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

That is a really good goal. I am also prone to staying in when I could go out. But, I always made time to go out with my friends, it is just different now that all my good friends live in other states.

Yes - some sort of greens (usually collard greens) for wealth, black-eyed peas for luck, and pork for health. xD The more you eat of each, the more you're supposed to have of each.

My family also includes cornbread, though it isn't ascribed to any certain property that I'm aware of. We have chard in place of collard greens and this year we had steak instead of pork since we had so much ham left over from Christmas we were sick of it, I suppose. xD; (Maybe the lack of ham is why I have been sick as anything since Christmas.)

I don't make any resolutions because I get unsettled the moment I neglect to stick with my resolutions - and then instead of getting back on track, I just give up all together (which makes me feel rotten). But I always have intentions, which aren't the same thing.

I intend to be more active on a regular schedule. (As soon as I start feeling well enough again, I'll be back to trying to work out daily.)

I intend to draw more regularly. (I may even ink a picture I was working on over the new year tonight.)

I intend to work on my writing career. (I'm submitting to an anthology before the end of the month and will look for others to submit to after that.)

I intend to be a better friend.
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin