Login to your account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longtime Roleplayer, 1x1 Newbie

Two new plot ideas are up! One is a Modern/Alternate Worlds Game that can be a 1x1 or a 1x1x1 and the other is a Slice of Life Comedy.

Find them here!
    Last edited by Utopia; 03-20-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar
    Hola Utopia,

I do not know if you are sick of me yet- I can imagine you being a little bit because we are in three games together- but if you are not maybe we can have a game together. Anyway- I just recently discovered the 1x1 request forum due to my own want of a 1x1 and Strude politely informing me that there was such a place. c:

Anyway- I have similiar interests when it comes to RPs- but I do very much so like your 'Magic for Hire' idea. I know it is not one of your new ones that you might be excited about but I have been thinking that a modern supernatural sounds good and I do love detectives- especially ones in magical settings. I also have a favorite detective character that I've been hankering to blow the dust off and use (not many people like him because he isn't exceptionally handsome or charismatic).

Do let me know- and have a very good evening.

I would love to start up another 1x1. Do you have any details in mind for the type of character you want to play off of your detective character? I can go with whatever. And do you have any idea on the limits of the supernatural in the world? (What sort of skills do you want to have and be available in the world?) And should magic be out int he open?

I think that magic should be in the open, but not everyone has magic or magical skills. People know about ghosts, shape shifters, spells, zombies and such. Perhaps people are given jobs based on what is perceived as their skill level. Highly skilled people are given government based jobs (like the Magical CIA or FBI), Mid-level people generally join large private sector firms, and the lower echelons strike out on their own. But, sometimes you have high and mid level people strike out on their own because they are not suitable for public consumption or their skills are considered too destructive or useless.

Thoughts?

I am pretty easy going so we can modify the world any way you see fit and reach a happy medium. I don't want to rip off Dresden Files or The Hollows too much.

Well thank you darling.

As much as your character goes- I rarely have an idea as to what others should play. I suppose since you came up with the setting that the idea is all yours. c: I just enjoy playing supernatural detectives where I can find them. As much as my character is concerned I alter him here and there (he doesn't even have to be a 'he' I just find that most of the time in 1x1 plotting it is just easier to go ahead and play the male).

I actually have a few ideas on the magical modern world- made a few a while back for a group RP (and like most good group RPs people just stopped posting once they were in the plot knee-deep). One plot line was where mankind had unleashed the powers of 'magic' through an attempt at furthering science about a 100 years back and overlayed the natural world with the supernatural. Ghosts popped up, as did zombies, purely magical creatures- and 100 years later humans have bred with the purely magical beings to form cross breeds that can do various things like: cast spells, shape shift, form cults- etc etc. Another plot line inferred that there always was magic but mankind and the magicalkind warred with each other (somewhat inspired by Arturian legend) and the magickind became suberviant to the humans after they lost the war. Now they are segregated off from humans and there isn't allowed much interaction (humans still invest in powerful magickind to help them and visit the other side but they aren't supposed to mix). It could be feasibly that there are scales of helpfulness on both sides.
    Either way those are two ideas I have had- that can be fleshed out- I just didn't want to make this massive wall of text. Also combining your idea into it. Or if neither of them work we can start from scratch. :3

Also I've never read the Dresden novels or the Hollows- so I should be able to copy too much off of it. Normally my modern supernatural is along the lines of Joe Pitt, Curseworkers, Jasmine Park, and that one series involving a set of supernatural FBI agents.

I just finished the Jasmine Parks series (so sad there won't be more) and I think you are talking about Bureau 13 for the FBI one? Could be wrong on that though. But if you are, I love that series so very much.

Where would you like them to be? Southwest, West Coat, East Coast? have a city in mind?

I know right? I did so love that one- actually have for a long time before vampires and what not were even popular. I think it mostly had to do with the humor or plausibly because Jaz didn't suffer from princess syndrome. Hm- it was sadly enough a romance novel- not something I realized at the time but I can'tt remember the name of the series. It was light on the romance and strong on the supernatural though- I'll think of it.

I usually just use settings that involve me making a city up because most of the places in which I have lived rarely are used for settings in RPs (or anything for that matter except for Southern satire shows. >_>) Though if that is not your cup of tea- plausibly something on the East coast or maybe upper west coase (Seattle-ish). I have an urge to make the city 'sophisticated'- if that honestly makes sense.

So did either setting tickle your fancy?

I like the idea of a sophisticated city. Do we want fast paced sophistication or a more genteel sophistication? I sort of like the idea of a genteel sophistication. Where you have the old money and society and ladies wearing pearls along side the rest of the city.

Would you prefer full feature or forum style? I don't think it really matters which one we go with.

As for characters, you can play whatever you like. I also usually wind up playing the male part, so, it doesn't really matter to me. I see the firm as a partnership. Each detective having their strengths and weaknesses. I don't see the need for romance really in the game, but we can always make NPCs to fill those roles (or secondary characters).

That sounds interesting- and right up my alley- a genteel sophistication it is then. It should be a nice play on the 'modern magic' idea that isn't all gritty and dark. So set in a town where old money rules and we can assume that old money is directly linked to how powerful they are. Certain last names imply certain maybe 'sections' of the cities and businesses they own, and everyone respects everyone else's boundaries. In that we can have a fairly easy plot bunny of maybe those boundaries are disturbed? Of course that doesn't have to be what STARTS the RP but what we could build up too. Just an idea- I do so like to ramble.

I don't have a preference either. Forum should be easier to start but full features would allow us to flesh it out if there were multiple storylines going on. Wouldn't be confusing. Then again- forum is easier. XD

That is an idea- and I have no qualms making an RP that is more about a partnership than romance; I actually have an RP like that via email that has been going on for 2 years and the two lead characters are friends. I suppose it might help culture a character dynamic if I tell you what I am thinking about my character. Cassius Abernathy is his name. Personality wise: he is pretty easy going, always has the 'right' thing to say (right might be debatable on who is receiving it), a powerful sense of humor, and things just slide off of him like water off of a duck's back. At the same time he lacks motivation, is not at all very organized, had a tendancy not to take anything seriously, while he is easy to get along with he doesn't much care if they perceive him as the good guy or bad guy, and when someone asks for his 'honest' opinion it is always VERY honest. Physically he is of average height but overweight (if this bothers you I'll nyx it- as some people aren't fans of that). Brown hair, green eyes, and a naturally skin tone- and rarely remembers to shave off his five o'clock shadow. Magically wise I visualize him as probably either being a shapeshifter (only a select group of animals) or a male witch (becuase it makes me chuckle).

Hope that helps.

I love the idea of a pudgy, laid back male witch.

I also like the idea of the lines of power being pretty clear and boundaries respected. Perhaps an outside power comes in and starts disturbing the lines or one of the known families starts to get too big for their britches? Can be a plot line we work on as it goes.

For my character, I was picturing someone who sort of looks like a young Bob Dylan (complete with awesome Jewfro). Basically a short, tweedy man who isa bit unkempt in general. I was thinking about making him a psychic- maybe electrokinetic or maybe a technomancer. Hadn't really thought that part through yet. I figure he is good at digging up info and getting into and out of places with his power. Maybe add a few other generic psychic powers for good measure (like empathy or the ability to see if people are telling the truth).

<3 Well I am glad you do! Finally someone isn't so turned away by the idea.

Maybe an outside force? Maybe the plot starts out with things happening outside the usual norm of the families- but small things that aren't really viewed as a threat but no one really knows where they are coming from. Like maybe the first case is something rather inconsequential is stolen but as the cases mount up it seems more and more important. Maybe like a set of important artifacts that people have pretty much forgotten their meaning and use.

Jewfro- hah-hah- sorry that made me chuckle, but I get what you mean. Either way he sounds good and that is a perfect description because now I have a pretty good idea of how he looks in my head. Oh a technomancer- which will be an interesting combination with a male witch. Hooray modern and archaic coming together to attempt to get down to the bottom of it. Hm- and being empathic will always help and on a plus side make for some interesting conversation- though I don't much think my character will care if yours can call him out or not on lying. Either way this duo is starting to vaguely remind me of a picture I saw a while back- I'll see if I can find it.

I suppose the RP will open with their first case and work from there? Do we want to assume that they know each other already or were just partnered up? Also- I suppose we are making our own city- since there are all these new rules? I see it being by a massive lake (maybe a bit of the city is ON the lake), having some 50s vibe but modern, and only being an hours or so drive from a more comforable (yet probably still rich) countryside. Just random thoughts.

I think already working together is the way to go. Maybe they have their own business together already but don't always work together on the same cases, but will when the need arises. I see them as working well together, but also working well individually. I also picture them having a very organized secretary because both of them are hopeless in the office with paperwork, receipts, money, files etc. I was thinking maybe a female dwarf with a knack for being a mother hen and a "cleaner" (someone they can call on to dispose of unwanted things...like the contents of their fridge, bodies, and dead spiders).

Maybe instead of a lake, the city can be on a quiet bay on the ocean (or inlet river). Maybe northern California or Oregon. I sort of picture something like Napa Valley, but on the ocean...but a similar level of snootiness and sophistication. I also sort of see the city/town as a bit of a 50's throwback but with modern conveniences. I like the idea of a countryside an hour's drive, maybe some mountains an hour past that. Look up the city called "Carmel by the Sea, California" for images. In my head I picture it very much like that.

I will go ahead and make a Forum Game for it and an OOC in the Private Game OOC Forum so we can discuss some plot points there.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Game Link: Magic for Hire

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

OOC Link: Magic for Hire

I JUST saw your response to my thread, and of course I would love to role-play with you. <3 Let's meet up and talk sometime about it, okay, hon?
    Trust me, I'm a Doctor~

Hi! I've been craving Cyberpunk lately so I was wondering if you'd be interested in playing The Electric Butterfly with me. :] I don't know if you've lost interest in it since I imagine that it's been on your list for quite some time now, but if you're still looking for rp partners, I would love to start that one up with you. :]

Update:
    PMs sent to requests.

Thinking up new plots and games! As always, find them here!

"not a sidekick" sounds like something right up my alley. i mean, what's not to love about superheroes and comedy?

unfortunately, i wasn't able to preview the comic the idea is based on. something about malware, etc. :/ i might try again tomorrow (either on the same computer or a computer i care significantly less about, lol). but, regardless, this is definitely something i'm interested in.

i'm also very fascinated with the premise of "life, death, and repeat." the prospect of playing a variety of characters from a variety of worlds/times is... well, attractive. sadly, i'm not the best educated on history, but... i'm willing to do a bit of extra reading/research for the rp. nothing like learning while writing.

as a note, i'm also really new to the whole idea of a 1/1, but... i'm not brave enough to plunge into a group rp at the moment.

I would be willing to play either Not a Sidekick or Life, Death Repeat. I actually have Life, Death, Repeat set up with someone else (though they are MIA), but I would be willing to set up another one with all new characters. I shall send a PM to you and we can decide there. Be warned though, I work all day so I may not have the chance to check the site until later.

i saw that thread! i'm a curious kid, so i had to click on all the links you provided, lol.

hm, at the moment, i'm definitely leaning more towards "life, death, repeat" than anything else. but don't get me wrong, i'm still keeping an eye on "not a sidekick." it's just, the attraction of playing in varied settings with seemingly different people (or not so different people) is rather hard to resist.

and it's not a problem at all. i'm a patient person (or so i like to believe). c:

Humble Farmer With a Sword MarineViolet's Avatar
    Land of Rocks and Dust (the midwest United States)
    Hey there. I love the idea for Age Of Man, and would love to try it out. Bear with me, not really experienced in 1x1, but I'm working on it. I also like the idea of Internment.
    *is a filthy homestuck*
    Find me here!

I am pretty easy going with either idea. I guess it depends on how much history you want to have to delve into and worry about.

Feel free to send me a PM and we can talk about which game to start up and format and what not.