Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longtime Roleplayer, 1x1 Newbie

Longtime Roleplayer, 1x1 Newbie

About Me
    I am what one may call old school. I have been roleplaying for longer than some people on the forum have been alive (which only makes me feel old, so very very old...). I started in the old school, a time long ago when the internet was but a strange and new thing that the general public had no idea about. We had to make due with actual people, dice and books.

Luckily, we no longer live in such an age.

I however, am a bit of a throw back. I like my games to have plot and direction. This is why I have not participated in 1 on 1 games before. Gasp! Yes, I am a complete 1 on 1 novice. Utterly and completely untried at it.

Why am I interested?
    To be blunt, I am bored. I feel like the group games have slowed down or I find myself roleplaying with the same five(ish) people in all my games. (Which is great- they are all awesome roleplayers and I enjoy it thoroughly.) However, I want to experience something new and interesting with new and interesting people.

I have noticed many people around here only 1x1 or forum roleplay. So, to gain new experiences and stave off the boredom, I am reaching out to you folks.

What I Like and Will Play
    I like original worlds, stories and ideas. I like a plot and a direction. I will settle for an interesting setting/theme. I don't care about post length or literacy level. I can roll with whatever. We all start somewhere.

Character Preferences
    I am not picky about which gender I play, I can roll either way. I do not care about what sexuality I play. I prefer my characters to be regular, realistic people. I very rarely play anyone who is overly good looking, overly powerful or overly special.

I don't really care about "pairings"- I don't think that is a foundation of a game. If you make interesting characters, then the pairings naturally happen (or don't happen). I will roleplay adult settings and themes. I'm not particularly bothered by explicit violence, sex or language- however, if you are not an adult (at least 18, preferably 20) I WILL NOT play an adult game with you.

Settings/Theme I Enjoy
    Western (the Spaghetti kind)
    Space Opera
    Cyberpunk/Futuristic
    Steampunk
    Alternate Histories
    Low Fantasy
    Urban/Contemporary Fantasy
    Accurate Historical Settings (I am a HUGE history buff, but I gravitate toward American Revolutionary Times, The American West 1600-1800, Cold War Era- both American and Russian perspective, Judaic History, Ancient Sumerian History-not Hitchins, Native American History, The Roaring 20's)
    Magical Girls (the cheesier the better)
    Slice of Life

Settings I Do Not Enjoy
    Anime/Manga Fandoms (I love anime and manga, but this gets old pretty quick. I must admit, however, that I have a soft spot for Sailor Moon- but I prefer original senshi and settings.)
    Vampires/Werewolves/Zombies (I am so done with them)
    Romance without Plot or Purpose
    Furries/Anthropomorphic
    Video Game Worlds

The Few Fandoms I am Willing to Play In
    Firefly (But not the crew of Serenity- just the world/setting)
    Dr. Who (It's a weakness... and a great setting for 1x1)
    Kim Harrison's Hollows (Anti-Tomatoes!)
    Star Trek (I was especially fond of Deep Space Nine, but once again, setting not known characters/ships)
    Last edited by Utopia; 03-19-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Game Ideas

The Age of Man
    Theme: Low Fantasy
    For a long time, magic has been flowing out of the world, like grains of sand flowing to the bottom of an hourglass. Only a few grains of sand remain, granting precious little magic to the world. As the magic ebbs, the creatures of magic also leave the world. Elves are gone, giants too, no one has seen a dragon in generations, unicorns are all but gone. One of the most powerful wizards of the land is dying. His two apprentices are tasked with finding the source of the loss of magic. They are skilled mages, but not powerful as the sorcerers of myth and legend. They are more scholars than magicians; more swordsman than mage. But they are some of the last who can wield magic in the land. They must find the elders of the land and figure out why magic is leaving the world.

The Electric Butterfly
    Theme: Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi
    Set in the future year of 2X84. The world is vastly populated, cities are huge conglomerates of people, androids and machines. The huge mega-cities are metropolises of technology and fantasy. Mankind lives in leisure with robots, androids and machines doing the majority of the work. Despite the vast population, the cities are clean, stable and peaceful- on the surface. Below the surface, everything is gritty. A war rages on between the modified humans (either bio-engineered or cyborgs) and androids versus the 'pures' and robots. For the most part, the Pure humans live in the clean surface world along side the modified humans. Most people don't see the war, it is fought outside the public eye. The modified humans fight for equal rights and the rights of their android cousins. The headquarters of these people is The Electric Butterfly- a club located in the cyber world that can be accessed only by those with a special modification known as the Chrysalis- a bio-electrical device implanted directly into the brain. Two people part of The Electric Butterfly stumble upon a plot set in place by the 'pured' to send a virus to all machines that would strip them of their long earned personality, making them empty. They must find the source of the virus and stop it, figuring out who they can and can't trust along the way.

Two Bullets for a Six-Shooter
    Theme: Spaghetti Western
    Set in the town of Down Valley, the Croaker Gang has gained control of the small western town. They rule with an iron fist, squeezing the town folk of everything they've got. The local farms are forced to give away half their goods to the gangs, the cattle ranches must share their profits from their runs and even the local bank and postal office has fallen to the influence of the maniacal leader of the gang- who has set himself up as the Mayor and Sheriff of Down Valley. Suddenly, the old priest of the Mission passes away and the few orphans that were in the care of the church find themselves completely at the mercy of the gang. One sets out on a journey to find the mysterious "Two Bullet" Cowboy- a man who is known for always putting two bullets into his enemies to make certain they are dead. Little do they know that the mysterious Two Bullet Cowboy is actually the Two Bullet Cowgirl.

Cosmic Radio
    Theme: Doctor Who
    The 12th Doctor (we are currently on the 11th Doctor) and his companion travel together in the TARDIS to the planet Nebis where the local people are putting humans to work as slaves without their knowledge. How are they doing It? Can The Doctor and his companion free them without falling victim themselves? (This is just a starting adventure, more could be added later. We could even switch off creating the adventures.)

Internment
    Theme: Slice of Life, Historical, Politics
    During World War II, many Japanese-Americans were taken from their homes and forced into interment camps. One such camp was the Gila River Relocation Center. The people sent there tried to make the best of the situation. However, there were those who protested their treatment. One such person was the mysterious author of the poem That Damned Fence. This would be the story of two people who secretly wrote and circulated that poem in the face of the injustice perpetrated upon them as they struggled to live in the desert internment camp.

The Adventures of Captain Gamma! (and Lieutenant Newton)
    Theme: Pulp Sci-Fi, Action
    Set in the year 2545, Captain Gamma is a space faring hero who fights against evil. Captain Gamma explores the universe in the Alpha Swift (a AV-234 X design Rocket) along with Lieutenant Newton to rescue the victims of evil, fight tyranny and make space safer for all the good Space Citizens. The pair serve in the Elite Space Marines of the Allied Space Confederation, following orders when order serve them and the good of all.

Fly Away
    Theme: Alternate Worlds, Adventure
    Two people are learning to fly small planes. One day they find themselves in the same final class together with the instructor. As they take off for their last lesson they both notice that all the instruments on the small plane go out. The plan loses power and starts to spiral down to the ground. Then, suddenly, all is fine. The plane rights itself and they land. Upon landing, they find the world a different place. Literally. They learn that they have flown into a new world. Eventually, the trio figure out that the plane itself has a connection to the two student pilots and when they fly it together, they can fly into new worlds because they both want to find the one thing that calls to them- freedom, adventure and just something different. This game would be about the two student pilots (with the optional instructor for a possible 1x1x1 game rather than 1x1) and their adventures in alternate worlds.

Maybe Baby
    Theme: Slice of Life, Comedy
    An extremely wealthy couple find themselves stuck in another country unexpectedly. The nanny of their 8 month old baby quits, leaving two of the couple's employees in charge of the baby until the couple returns to hire a new nanny. The two employees know little about children and caring for a baby, but their jobs depend on it. So, they must care for the child until their employers return. Trials and tribulations about diaper changing, bottles, baby food and the assorted mischief babies get themselves into.

New! Not a Sidekick!
    Theme: Super Heroes, Comedy, Adventure
    In a world where Super Heroes are normal, licensed and trained by the government and various private academies, there is a great need for sidekicks. Children are tested at a young age to go to these academies. Who becomes a Super Hero is not based on powers but rather on if you fit the physical profile of what a superhero should look like. Often, it is the Side Kick who does all the real work. Based loosely on Sidekick Girl by Erika and Laura.

More to come as I think of them...
    Last edited by Utopia; 06-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Taken Game Ideas (but would be willing to play with other people as well!)

Life, Death, Repeat Taken!
    Theme: Historical, Romance, Modern
    It is modern times- at least you think it is. Every night when you go to sleep, you see yourself living in another life- no, you are living in another life. Sometimes it is the American Revolution, sometimes it is Ancient Greece, other times it is the 20's in Paris. Several different eras while you sleep. Each one another life, another you and yet the same life and the same you. There is another constant- another person is with you always- sometimes a sibling, a mother, a friend, a comrade, a lover. You two are together in each life except this one. You know you will find each other, you just don't know when. Note: This game would have several different time settings where we would know each other and a modern era where we search for each other.

Witch's Tea Shop Taken!
    Theme: Slice of Life, Urban Fantasy
    Two best friends run a small town tea shop. They have good customers, bad customers, old, young, sweet, aggravating- basically just like any other tea shop out there. But this tea shop is different. The two who run it are witches- kitchen witches to be precise. Through their tea, cookies and sandwiches, they cast their spells to fix what ails their customers.

The Cactus Bride Taken!
    Theme: Historical, Old West
    In the old west there was an inordinate number of men in relation to women. As such, many men sent away for mail order brides, placing an advertisement in the newspapers out east in search of companionship. Out east women did not have many prospects- especially the poor and alone. This is the story of a western man with a secret searching for a bride in the post.

Magic for Hire Taken!
    Theme: Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Slice of Life
    Set in modern day, two gifted sleuths open a Private Investigation firms together. They hunt down clues using their abilities. Often, they aid the police in their investigations or work on the cases that law enforcement has already given up on. From time to time, they aid corporations and private individuals who have specialized problems with the supernatural- especially those who can't go to the regular law enforcement- the dead, the hidden and the unbelievable.

The Intercontinental Race of Steam and Steel Taken!
    Theme: Steampunk, Action, Alternate History (Victorian Era)
    It is the year 1865. Queen Victoria and Abraham Lincoln are putting on a Friendship Event in honor of the new beginnings between the countries. Together they are calling on the greatest inventors from both nations to compete in a race from London to San Fransisco. Competitors are encouraged to use the latest dirigibles, steam propelled conveyances and whatever means of travel they think will get them across the finish line first. There is a prize of 50 pounds of gold and a sponsorship from both the American Government and The English government to fund the research of new inventions for the person who wins. Each team must have one American Citizen and One British Citizen to enter. Aside from that, there are no rules in the race.
    Last edited by Utopia; 06-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Witch's Tea Shop sounds like fun

In my head I sort of pictured that one as an episodic type thing where each "episode" has a different customer with a different problem as the main focus. There would be a couple of regulars, but the 1x1 bit would be the two owners of the shop. (And we could also fill in the customers for each other.) How do you envision it? I am pretty easy going in general and just go with the flow. I think the idea can work lots of different ways.

I had pretty much the same idea in my head. I really like the idea of it being episodic and us playing customers as well to make it come alive more. Like in each "episode" they deal with one customer as well as their own problems etc.

That is exactly what I was thinking. What do you see the friends like? (And would you prefer full feature or forum...I am pretty easy going.)

Awesome Do you mean personality like or what? Full feature would be awesome, probably nice way to keep track of the "episodes" and customers.

Would be cute if they were so close they got that sibling-ish bond where they bicker and stuff- maybe sometimes while figuring out what's best for the customer or something. I dunno. What do you see the friends like?

Full feature is cool. That is exactly what I had in mind for their freindship- known each other for so long they are like siblings. Maybe their mothers were also friends so they've known each other since they were babies. I was also sort of thinking they could have plant-like names so the name of the tea shop could be a play on that (Ivy, Rose, Lily, Rowen, Ashe- or last names Vine, Woods, etc). I also haven't considered what gender they would be and I don't think it really matters much.

I was also thinking the tea house could be in a quaint village in the English or Scottish country side. Not really tiny, but old and has a small feel. Maybe a tourist destination to keep lots of new customers coming in.

That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps they even inherited the tea shop from their mothers? Haha, I was actually already considering Lily as a name XD I don't think genders matters either, not to interested in romance at the moment ^^

One of those cosy little towns where everybody knows everybody's business and gossip spreads faster than wildfire? It all sounds like loads of fun

How about the Lily and Clover Tea House located in Galliriver? Galliriver being a small village in the English countryside where everybody knows everybody, there probably aren't too many young people as they all go to the cities and even the smallest bit of gossip is latched onto like gold.

I have some images I like and they are located here: http://www.paperwhimsy.com/galesblog/?cat=1 If you scroll down it sort of gives you the feeling of the village (and house styles).

What shall we actually call our game?

Sounds really good Love the village pictures. Hm, not sure... The Wytches Tea House?

How about the Enchanted Tea House? Or Galliriver Magic? Or some combination of all three names (yours as well)? I can set it up when I get home. (I can't actually use anything but the forums from work for some reason.) Or you can set it up if you want to start creating your character- I am pretty easy going.

I like the Enchated Tea House Sure, you can always set it up when you get home, I'm a patient gal.

It is created! Linky Link: The Enchanted Tea House. I will make you a co-host as well.

Yay I'll make my character and then we can get this show on the road, though the picture will have to wait until tomorrow due to me not being at home.

Wow you have some amazing ideas! I really like Life, Death, Repeat. You have quite the imagination! Completely different than anything I've seen. Would you be willing to do that one with me?

Why sure. Do you have any starting time period settings in mind (aside from modern)? I would like to make it so you have some time settings you enjoy playing in.

Well I love the Victorian era, ancient Greece, mostly I love all eras. But those two are my favorites!

Do you prefer male or female roles? I can go either way for the most part. I figure we can start with just a couple of settings and add more as we see fit. I can set it up if you like. What sort of roles do you see for the modern area?

------------>
    I am also going to go ahead and set up the game in the Adult section of the full featured games. When you decide on your first character, I will make you a co-host.

I am not sure how you want to do it- just have one character/Soul that transfers between ages or have multiple characters, one for each age. I can go either way.

----------->
    Game here: Life, Death, Repeat
    Last edited by Utopia; 12-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.

I would like to play a female if that is ok with you. I'm still not that good at playing a male character. That sounds good to me! Um..I'm not sure yet. Do you have any ideas?

Ok that sounds good. Thank you!
    I think we should just have the one character/soul that transfers between ages.

Okay. But I am thinking that the person would not be the same in each life. Relationships and gender may shift between them.

Oh I like that! That sounds like a lot of fun. Who do you want to play in the modern realm?

It doesn't matter to me. I figure with the romance theme though, if you want to play a female, I will play a male.

I have already set up the modern era (2012...I figure we can start the "date" on January 1st 2012), Paris 1922, Dorchester 1854 (Victorian England), Pennsylvania 1778 (American Revolution) and Macedonia 325BCE (Alexander the Great Era Greece). We can fill in more eras later, but I thought those would be a good start. If you have anything specific in mind, let me know and I will add it.

That all sound perfect. Do we want to predetermine what rolls we want for each era?

If you like, we can. How about discuss it over in the OOC?

Still looking for more 1x1 partners. I am open to ideas along with those I have posted. If I come up with a couple more, I will update as well.

Two new game ideas are up. You can find them HERE.

Still looking for a couple more partners...

Two new plot ideas posted! One Pulp Sci-Fi in the style of the old radio plays and another steampunk adventure!

Find them here!