Login to your account

Thread: Wouldn't it be cool...

Reoccurring NPC

Wouldn't it be cool...

Imagine for a second, a group of four roleplayers on a site much like this one get together and start to roleplaying. They all work hard equally to weave a complex and wonderful story with many interconnecting characters and many more bit characters to fill in the gaps. When they come to a time when they all feel like they can call it a success and look upon their work they find that they wish to share it with the world, so they all work hard once more to this time edit it into the form of a novel and proceed to publish it so that the world can see...

It's a concept that I have had rolling around in my head for years, a small group of roleplayers getting together and creating something like that. I couldn't really tell you how the logistics of something like this would work or anything as I know next to nothing about publishing or how well a partnership like this would hold up, however I do have ideas on how a group could develop a roleplay that would fit this method of writing.

I kind of wish that I could try it myself, but i don't know if I would have the courage to try and pull some people together to try. Not to mention that most roleplays I try to run end up falling flat. Even so, it still seems like it would be a pretty cool thing it it were to ever happen. After all, anyone who really loves to roleplay and works hard at it while they play is an author in their own right.

Tell me what you all think about it. Has anyone else had this fantasy?

Oh man, I have had this fantasy dozens of times. I think the key to having it become a success is the chemistry that the writers have together. You need to be sure that you are all able to be on the same page, have history with writing together and can take what you write and use it to fuel what they write.

Another thing would have to be dedication. You'd need people who have as much a passion for this idea as you. It doesn't mean that it has to be worked on constantly, it may take over a year but you need people who would stick with it!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

For the publishing part... a lot of authors have tips for young/new writers and how to get them published. Maybe get a friend who knows about it to become the publishing agent for the book when it does come together, and let them work on getting it published and made into a hard copy novel.
    Want to rp? Send me a PM!

Story of Us a small town slice of fantasy life.
    Shichiyou Academy is Adult Rated School.

Ohh, yes, count me into one of the many who had this fantasy since forever. We actually sort of half-tried twice with different people (once book form, but we never finished editing it- now I'm working on it on my own), the other in comic book/manga form (which was left forgotten in time... ).

As for publishing, we intended to use POD publishing (like Lulu, Cafepress, etc). Otherwise I'm agreeing with what's been said so far about writers' tips (sometimes they also have tips on how to publish your book the traditional way) and people who also want this as much as you do.

(ooc)

From a romantic point of view it seems pretty grand. However, I tend not to like the idea of friends, business, and money all mixing into one pot. Maybe if it was one other person, but four people seems a bit much. There's just too much room for some sort of falling out, especially if such a novel were to become the next big thing in literature.

I don't know of any role-player who hasn't thought this. I'm trying it out again right now with someone and hoping it gives us enough cash to meet-up. *winky winky* (Dead if that person sees this.)
    "Ew. Did you check to see what date this raw milk expires?"
    "Yeah, what happened?"
    "I found a curd."
    "Did you shake it?"
    "No."
    "It's the cream. The fat floats to the top."
    "Oh, I just thought it was Bridgid's backwash the first couple of times."
    "Wait, why didn't you say 'ew' when you thought that?"

Sounds sick, plus I personally know a publisher. I don't know if I'd be up to par, the only thing I've published is a french children's book ^^'... which isn't much of an accomplishment really since I didn't even do my own drawings (which take up a good 20% of the 100 page book) but it would be an interesting thing to try. Schizo's right though, you'd need commitment.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

It'd be the beatles all over again.
    I freak out about 15 minutes into reading anything about the earth's core
    when I realize it's right under me.