Login to your account

Conversation Between Tahiel and Maneki Neko

81 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Haha, awesome. I'd love to translate your stuff! And thanks for the congrats! I'm real happy about it, even if it's not very steady income.
    Also, hope you feel all good again soon. :3
  2. Just a quick reply as I'm trying to catch up and I'm still not feeling too hot: I would absolutely one day like to get my stories translated over and would totally hit you up when I'm ready to do that. :3 Congrats on the job!
  3. Haha, yeah! I was thinking about that! Writing the whole thing first, then releasing it, or writing several short stories, then releasing them all within weeks or months, whatever works best to keep buzz going. But that would mean finishing anything. I can't handle one, it makes me lol thinking about handling two.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been trying to finish this story under the mentality that my friend will surely like it, given the characters and a joke we did, but since she hasn't actually read it yet it's kind of hard to keep thinking she'll like it at all. XD

Also also, I'm super happy! I got the job! I'll be proofreading Spanish version of novels!! Getting paid to read what I like, super awesome! XD (Hey, if you ever want to translate your stuff to Spanish, I'm looking into the translation business as well ) Only downside is they can't pay me through paypal since I live in the ass of the world. Will be roaming around downtown for days trying to figure out what bank to change checks on, lol. (But at least I'll have the money in hand, since I can't withdraw paypal funds anyway XD)

And lol, How about if and when?

(well that was weird. Even tho I wrote my reply it said it was too short and I needed 3 characters at least <_<)
  4. xD You could always write two novels and release the second a few months after the first (six months, maybe). That would give you a year's buffer to write the third. xD Or two years, if you release the second exactly a year later. xD Your pace is your own, after all. :3

But, yeah, I think the motivation helps. Knowing my friends were looking forward to the next installment of the story/the next story did. Harder for me to write for an "abstract" audience (like fanfiction drive-by favorites or casual commentators). But a "someone" is different entirely.

And when! Not if. xD when. /counter
  5. XD Regardless of the intended length I seem to hit a bump ever 300-400 words. lol It's kind of annoying, really. But yes, I want to write a proper, full-fledged novel too, even if it's just once (then again, imagine you DO write a novel that's nice and long and people love it and you become famous and then they're like "where's part two???" and it's like omg, pressure writing, like it wasn't hard without the pressure. XDDD.... then again, maybe motivation helps lol)

Ah, yes, fanfic. it's kinda funny that I find I can't really write fanfic (or maybe it's that I don't like to as much), but the two I have up (all very short XD) seemed to get an ok following- one because it was so silly, the other I have no clue because there's faves but no one comments... <_<
    But I can see how a FF following would help, since you know your stories on that were going along well. XD
    RP-fic sounds cool X)

I'm trying hard to follow that mantra lol Last two times I almost stall I did that. It was haaard~
    My latest flailing is:
    "But I feel like I'm writing a tour guide for New York now" lol (and I haven't even put in any detail, just mentioned places in like one paragraph XDD)

And yay! But... If. Not when, if. XDDDD
  6. xD I mostly meant it in a, "I want to write novel series, but I struggle once I get to about that stage." sort of way. xD But, really, it's possible that my "natural length" for stories may be novella, which isn't a bad place to be (most middle grade fiction is "novella" length, after all - and a lot of romance too). But I'll just keep steadily plugging away until I can break the barrier into novel length. xD Nothing wrong with shorter works, but I want to write novels, dangit. xD Even if it's "eventually".

I think we just need to wean ourselves off of self-doubt. It's a little easier for me because I first started out with fanfic and had pretty good responses after my first few stories. Then I started writing rp-fic, so my friends and rp cohorts would encourage that. Then since I've moved on to selling my work, the monetary feedback in the form of purchases has helped ease my self-doubts. But I do sometimes flail in the air going, "What if I'm boring people!?" and stall on chapters and stuff. xD;

I really need to follow the, "Doesn't matter. Just write." mantra.
    "Is this good enough???"
    "Doesn't matter. Just write."
    "What if it's boring readers???"
    "Is this scene necessary?"
    "I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to write."

Editing can happen later, after all. You can't edit a blank page. :B All easy advice that makes perfect sense, but it's really hard to follow at first.

And, sure. :3 When you finish it, I'd love to read it. xD
  7. Pfffftt only 30k? I start struggling at 300 XDDD Unless my first post is angst-ridden, then I seem to be able to manage 700 words of self-loathing for a character. Which I don't think is a great accomplishment, but at least gives me more words. xD But with 30k you're already entering on novella ground, with a little push it should work out fine!
    I wants that. I need some "disconnect your brain and write to at least 30k without issues" lessons.
    But I guess it shouldn't be too overly strange though, I mean, when I wrote more, when I was younger, I dedicated most to short, short stories. A quick look at my blog and you'll see most the stuff I actually finished isn't over two or three pages long, if at all.I did have two or three (lame XD) stories that spanned more pages, two of which I'm fairly sure I ddin't post because I felt so embarrassed about them (but maybe I should post them, just to populate and feel better XDDD). And the other one is like The One rp that I managed to finish (so it wasn't just me writing it).
    The rest are just ficly snippets. I seem to be good at 1-2 paragraph snippets, but can't put a whole story on paper, even though I have sooooo many that it makes me want to cry (maybe not really cry, but close to).

But my pauses are all about second guessing and doubts on how to continue it (I guess I bore myself out, even if my friends swear up and down that it's not boring XD), and less about finding 'natural pauses'.

Yesss, need more confidence.
    Or less of a feeling of embarrassment, like "Oh, I wrote, and I give a damn if no one likes it " I do admit I give a damn if no one likes it. xDDDD Even if mainly I write for myself. lol

What I really really need is a site I can post excerpts and snippets too where actual feedback goes on.

I still say kudos if you go with anything over 12 (or even with 12). I think the only way I would finish one is by doing ONE challenge that I don't even have to finish lol.

Ah, I'm trying to do something like that. From chapter one to two I skipped over a weekend (chapter one has Raj being Raj and moping lol oh yes, and meeting Steph xD), but of course I wanted to show a 'real' date before I skipped months, so chapter two (Steph's pov) has the date (he came out a bit obsessive, I think xD), but I think after this chapter I might go for a skip, because I'm already at 6k pages haha. <_< top was 15k for this submission. XD (Then again I guess if I finish it and it's over 15k I could always submit it as a stand alone and then expaaaand xDD).
    Though I'm (as usual!) a bit unsure if I'm not giving away too much at this point. I'll revise on that later I think or I'll never write the rest. XD

IF I ever finish it, would you like to read it? I wouldn't want you to feel like you have to critique it or even read it or anything (just a 'nice' 'ok' or 'lame' would suffice lol then again if you really wanted to I wouldn't stop you )
  8. There seems to be a word limit before I start struggling. Somewhere around 30,000 words, I think. Then I have a "lot more story" that I want to tell, but I feel like it's reached a natural pause or I get to second-guessing if I'm "doing it right". xD All I can do is keep on trucking and hope that through practice, I'll learn and get more confident and then I'll be able to keep going longer. xD

Yeaaah. >_> I've done a lot of this sort of thing before (starting a 100-something art challenge, for example) and then end up not finishing. I know I have a habit of abandoning such a project, which is why I'm thinking of reducing it to 50. And even then I know myself enough to know I might not manage it (either through getting burned out or concentrating longer than "schedule" on a single story, which blows off my schedule). I'll be thinking about it another few days so I can give myself a number that's more manageable so I'm more likely to accomplish it. xD Then next year I could try for a more ambitious number. xD

Yeah, there's a balance between "don't want insta-love" but "don't want to bore the audience". I usually 'solve' it through doing something like, "The next few months had them going out together every few days. Sometimes it was as simple as a dinner at home and sometimes they went out. They'd reached a comfortable routine and then... [insert a relationship-changing incident where they realize it's love or they have sex or whatever it is]" Something like that. xD
  9. I honestly admire that you all can stick to writing and finish stories. XD I feel kinda silly being unable to get through with most of mine. <_<;; I really need to learn to disconnect the part of my brain that makes me double guess every word I write, at least until I'm done and start re-reading it. lol

The 100 story prompts sound like fun! I'm surprised you say you can meet the deadline though lol (though it's probably slightly easier if you don't -have- to finish them xD), I think I would be on the "12" prompts with a full year and still not manage. xDD But it's a cool idea, I think you should do it! (I might even attempt it too when I'm past the deadline for this story. Even though I never did finish my artist 100 prompts.... nor even my photographer's 100 prompts <_<;;; or even my "a pic a day for a month/year" photo challenges........................................ ..... I THINK I SEE A TREND )

I'm making decent time on my story though. I passed the min. words threshold yesterday with 1k words more, and I'm still nowhere near the middle of the story lol so I'm wondering if I'll make it under the max. one (or even that far, heh), if I should time skip or not, etc. I actually don't want it to be an insta-love romance, but I also don't want to bore the reader with 100 pointless dates that get nowhere. xD So I'm considering how to deal with a larger timeskip in a shorter story, haha. Or if to make it 'closer' to insta-love anyway. Ah, choices, choices, I ended up really distracted reading the writing blogs yesterday though... and then browsing for jobs. Okay, that last one was actually a reasonable distraction from writing, so I'm forgiving myself.

Yum, garlic chicken (not so much the soup part <_<). I hope you'll feel better soon. You know how those internet flues are, all viral. It can't be helped you caught one.
  10. Mmm... Think of it this way: it doesn't necessarily matter how long it takes you to get to your destination, as long as you keep heading in that direction. ie: Keep going. When you get stuck, take a break, look around you, relax. Then keep going again. I'm still in the "take a break" period. I want to write... I'm even starting to need to write. But not quite ready to get back on the path and keep going.

This morning, one of the things I was thinking about doing was writing a list of 100 random story prompts (like artists have those "100 prompts" challenges for themselves) and trying to write something for each of them by the end of the year. There are 174 days left in the year, so I could take two months of doing nothing (or writing several days on one project) and still meet it. I won't even require I finish these things, even. Just write something for each of the prompts. I figure... if prompts are like seeds, then whatever I write becomes a seedling for a story that I can cultivate later.

I think I want to do something similar to that, at least. I'm just not sure if I want to make it 100. Maybe 50 that way I can continue to spend a few days on each prompt if I have enough "fuel" for each idea, and laze around and not work on prompts at all for a few days. Then I'd still have 50 story "seedlings" ready for me next year.

Thought I'd share the vague idea with you. xD

I actually swear up and down I caught a cold from my Australian friend. >_>; She complained of a sore throat two or three days ago (and was still sick last night) and I woke up this morning (I went to bed early and woke up from a nightmare a few hours later - which is another sign I'll be ill, if I have nightmares) with a sore throat myself. :c Drinking tea, though, and had garlic chicken soup for lunch and dinner today, so hopefully it will help. >_>;
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 81
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast